• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would BazBall have worked against McWarne in the 2000s?

Socerer 01

International Captain
For Bazball to be successful, there is no place for players like Dravid/Kallis/Bell in the middle order of a Test team . It will work only when you have 4 to 5 aggressive batsman . So either Dravid/Kallis open the batting and neutralize the new ball threat or they should come at 7 in case Bazball falls .
there is no place for a batsman like Dravid or Kallis in such an approach. Lees who was the previous opener and got dropped was a slower batsman and even he was asked to bat aggressively in the summer. Dravid would have adapted to playing more aggressively and we all know what Kallis would have done

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
there is no place for a batsman like Dravid or Kallis in such an approach. Lees who was the previous opener and got dropped was a slower batsman and even he was asked to bat aggressively in the summer. Dravid would have adapted to playing more aggressively and we all know what Kallis would have done
Gotten spooked by the pre match conference and thrown his wicket to McGrath?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Remember when he came back a few years after his retirement in an exhibition game and figured out, and owned, peak David Warner in about 3 balls
The one where he said what he was going to try to do to him, and then did it?

That was awesome. It's also why anyone who said he "bored a batsman out" was ****ing clueless.

subshakerz

International Coach
Kallis of late career could accelerate.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
This so called "Bazball" requires 3 conditions to succeed.
1. Relatively flat wickets.
2. Mediocre attack and/or
3. Complacency by the bowling side in believing they can't lose.

There is no way that McWarne would have provided either 2 or 3.

jcas0167

International Debutant
I would love to have seen Graeme Hick, Nick Knight and Alex Stewart in the 90's being given license to play Bazball style.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Current England batsmen won't survive this mode against good bowling. They won't last against McWarne, won't last on Indian dustbowls or last much against Murali - Vaas combo or Steyn and co as well. They were flogging an inexperienced bowling lineup with collective experience less than 30 matches.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Even KP's technique was dissected by Murali after the initial shock and KP never hit the former glory against Murali. Once he was gone KP tonked an attack - containing a Rangana Herath, who was respectable on SL tracks - like he was playing under 19s. ATG bowlers do make a difference.

anthonyalba

Cricket Spectator
i definitely rate bazball (whatever that actually is) against gillespie.
i dont think gillespie was ever good enough to play test cricket.
i could never understand how he kept getting selected.

i can see it rattling mcgrath- he got visibly upset when hit for a boundary and relied on batters waiting for rare bad balls to score.
it wouldve rocked his world.

Warne on the other hand didnt mind getting smacked, knowing he'd get the wicket sooner rather than later.

i think bazball has been blow out of proportion.
Afterall its just one guy having good form.

it shouldve been called bairstowball