• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Decisions by an Umpire...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
And that is apparently enough to be the "worst decision ever" in your eyes?
Combine it with where it hit the batsman, and how it looked without the replays and all, yes it fits into a shocking 'one of the worst decision ever' kind.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Perhaps you could do with reading the rules before making such an inaccurate statement.
Awww, you are a bit late for that advice, I already got two people telling me that. And it doesn't make the decision of the umpire right either.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
Combine it with where it hit the batsman, and how it looked without the replays and all, yes it fits into a shocking 'one of the worst decision ever' kind.
I don't really get you here. You're saying it was a bad decision because he couldn't have been sure it was out, and I agree with you there, but how is it one of the worst decisions ever? The fact is, it's pretty close to out, and while you can say Harper shouldn't have given it because there was doubt, there are many decisions every year which aren't even remotely close to out. Compare that Tendulkar call to Katich's decision last year in the Ashes for instance, where Harmison bowled over the wicket to him (Katich being a left-hander) and the ball pitched a foot outside the line of leg stump and would have gone over the top by 6 inches or so. How is the Tendulkar call a worse decision than that one? Or the McCullum one where he missed the ball by several inches in Brisbane and was given out because the ball moved off a crack?

Just because it's Tendulkar doesn't mean it's automatically a more important error than any other umpiring one. Hell, Katich was given out when he was the last recognised batsman at a crucial stage in the match too.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Just because it's Tendulkar doesn't mean it's automatically a more important error than any other umpiring one. Hell, Katich was given out when he was the last recognised batsman at a crucial stage in the match too.
I couldn't care less if the decision was against Tendulkar, Indulkar or Tondulkar, I am not even saying that India would won if Tendulkar had stayed. I am pretty sure India would still have lost the test, so please give rest to your assumptions.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Sanz said:
I couldn't care less if the decision was against Tendulkar, Indulkar or Tondulkar, I am not even saying that India would won if Tendulkar had stayed. I am pretty sure India would still have lost the test, so please give rest to your assumptions.
Tondulkar.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
I don't really get you here. You're saying it was a bad decision because he couldn't have been sure it was out, and I agree with you there, but how is it one of the worst decisions ever? The fact is, it's pretty close to out, and while you can say Harper shouldn't have given it because there was doubt, there are many decisions every year which aren't even remotely close to out.
The point you are missing here is - That if you take the replays out (because field umpire dont get to see the replays when they make the decisions), it looks like one of the worst decisions especially you have few seconds to make the decision.

Without the help of replays and countless analysis - It is pretty clear NOTOUT
With the help of Replays and countless analysis - It is still NOT OUT

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
The point you are missing here is - That if you take the replays out (because field umpire dont get to see the replays when they make the decisions), it looks like one of the worst decisions especially you have few seconds to make the decision.

Right, Ive not seen much of this LBW before so when watching the clip I was expecting to see a real shocker.

:wacko: It looks a pretty good decision for me. I cant see any reason for complaining.
Could it possibly gone over the top? maybe but in terms of bad decisions it does not even register. It could be classed as a marginal decision but compared to being given out caught when you dont hit the ball, LBW when it pitches outside leg and given out of a no-ball it does not compare.

It hits him straight in front, from a ball that has stopped rising and could be on the way down.

It could be classed as a very good decision. I cannot see any reason for it to be classed as a shocker.

Picture 1- Ball at highest bounce
Picture 2- Height of ball when it hits Tendulkar
Picture 3- Front on view of the impact.

I really cannot see what the complaint is.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
It hits him straight in front, from a ball that has stopped rising and could be on the way down...
Sure it was.8-) 8-) 8-) I have nothing more to say after that.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
I wasn't assuming anything, just covering all bases in case you were saying the Tendulkar decision was particularly bad because of the state of the match.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
Sure it was.8-) 8-) 8-) I have nothing more to say after that.
Yeah, right. You obviously have not looked at the evidence. Though why, as a qualified umpire, Im debating a decision with a guy who thought the ball hat to hit the leg to be LBW I dont know. It shows the level of knowledge we are dealing with.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
Yeah, right. You obviously have not looked at the evidence. Though why, as a qualified umpire, Im debating a decision with a guy who thought the ball hat to hit the leg to be LBW I dont know. It shows the level of knowledge we are dealing with.
OMG, one little opportunity and people come off bragging about their cricketing knowledge (which incidently has nothing to do with the visuals you presented) as if they know all the rules and how they are always right.

Unfortunately for you and your superior cricketing knowledge, no one except Mark Taylor (who is not known for his unbiased commentry), thought that Tendulkar was out despite watching countless replays.

Now try to look at the replay again without your cuts and pastes(which don't prove that ball was heading its way down) and try to find if the ball was really going to keep low.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
Where it hit the batsman?

Part of the body that makes it LBW you mean?

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:
And this is after countless replays..But Daryl Harper was able to figure out the trajectory, bounce, line, height and every possible information required to make the decision.
that is an umpires job though isnt it???

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:

well for me, it looked like tendulkar was plumb LBW and its only with the replays does doubt come into my mind.

So, I am with the brigade of people who think that in hindsight it was probably the wrong decision becaus ethere must have been some doubt in the umpires mind...but then again, if the umpire had no doubts about it (no shot played, hit in line etc) then in fact, based on his judgement, it was out.

only the umpire with know if he had any doubts at all, if he had none, the decision was correct

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:
Ofcourse, but the point you are missing that is - 'he got it wrong.'.
but the point we all seem to be maiking is that it was an understandable mistake to make, because it was damned close either way...and therefore not the shocker you are making it out to be.
You have probably gone through the last 6 years thinking it was a shocker simply because it didnt hit his leg, have a look at it again, it was pretty close either way to be fair

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:
Shoulder ? A rising delivery, not as much as it was expected to, but still a rising delivery.
actually, looking at it again, I think the ball had stopped rising.
Looking at it after all this time, I am going more towards it being a pretty good decision.