• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Decisions by an Umpire...

R_D

International Debutant
Worst one i can remember is SBW for Sachin against Mcgrath at Adelaide in 99 i think.. Where he ducked under a bouncer but ball didnt' bounce much and hit me on the shoulder and umpire Darryl Hair gave him out
Most of Bucknor's decison against Sachin are pretty comical. He must have a grudge against him or somthing.
Sehwag Lbw given by Billy Bowden... can't remember who it was against but there was a huge gap b\w bat and pad and well you could see the ball deviated from edge onto the pad. There was a bit of confrontation between Billy and Sehwag.. quite disgracful really. Billy was being a total idiot.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
R_D said:
Worst one i can remember is SBW for Sachin against Mcgrath at Adelaide in 99 i think.. Where he ducked under a bouncer but ball didnt' bounce much and hit me on the shoulder and umpire Darryl Hair gave him out
If the ball hit you on the shoulder and Sachin Tendulkar was given out, I think we have a winner.:-O

FRAZ

International Captain
Lillian Thomson said:
If the ball hit you on the shoulder and Sachin Tendulkar was given out, I think we have a winner.:-O
Doesn't matter . Hair gave him out so its alright ?

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Lillian Thomson said:

"....mere forty-five minutes into the innings when a short McGrath delivery which stayed much lower than expected struck the crouching Indian captain on the shoulder and evinced Harper to rule against the only man who probably had any capacity at all to save the tourists' cause."

http://www.icc-cricket.com/link_to_...SCORECARDS/IND_AUS_T1_10-14DEC1999_CI_MR.html

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
ooo i remember another one, Australia vs England, Michael Slater clearly run out but the 3rd umpire gave it not out! i think he went on to hit 100 too just to rub it in :@ again my memory sucks so i cant remember the exact Test :)

FRAZ

International Captain
Streak took a catch off Ganga at mid-on cleanly. He dived forward to make the take and held up the ball and claimed the catch. Now Hair was three feet from Streak. If he could not see cleanly at that range, he had better give up umpiring. No, this great man, this so-called professional, called on the third umpire to make a decision. It was ludicrous in the extreme. If he isn't competent to judge such a catch at such close range, then he has no business being out there and pretending to be an umpire.

The TV replays were conclusive but the third umpire ruled Ganga was not out. It made Streak look like a cheat. True, he had cheated when he blocked Campbell. But he didn't do it this time. Hair looked very pleased with himself. Doubtless, in his mind, the scales of justice had balanced themselves out. One bad decision against the West Indies, one against Zimbabwe. One minus one equals none. He would probably have made a good arithmetic tutor.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Well I got it, even if others didn't!
Thank you.:happy: They do say that if you have to explain a joke then it's not funny, so I will leave those that didn't get it to their own devices.:laugh:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Jungle Jumbo said:
Wasn't there a really controversial run out in one of the Australia vs Bangladesh Tests this year, where the third umpire made a terrible call on a run out?
Yeah, that was reversed though. It wasn't actually a run-out either. What happened was that Aftab Ahmed hit the ball down onto his foot, it bounced up and Gilchrist caught it. The decision went to the third umpire who gave it not out, presumably because he thought he was being asked if the catch was legal. In reality, he was being asked if the ball hit the foot or the ground, as the on-field umpires had already decided Gilchrist caught the ball. After it was given not out, Ponting went over to the umpires and complained, because apparently a message had come out to the Bangladesh players that Aftab was out on the replay during the 5 minutes it took the third umpire to make the call.

After Ponting complained, they went back up to the third umpire who then reversed the decision, and Ponting was fined 25% of his match fee for dissent.

Interestingly, there's a lot of confusion about this incident around. I had a look at some googled articles about it just then, and there's a few subcontinental blogs and so on that are saying that the umpire gave it not out because he saw that the ball didn't hit the bat. That's really not the case at all, as the ball obviously hit the bat and the foot. The only doubt was about the catch, and the umpire was simply asked whether or not the ball landed on his foot.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Lillian Thomson said:
If the ball hit you on the shoulder and Sachin Tendulkar was given out, I think we have a winner. :-O
Sanz said:
"....mere forty-five minutes into the innings when a short McGrath delivery which stayed much lower than expected struck the crouching Indian captain on the shoulder and evinced Harper to rule against the only man who probably had any capacity at all to save the tourists' cause."

http://www.icc-cricket.com/link_to_...SCORECARDS/IND_AUS_T1_10-14DEC1999_CI_MR.html
:laugh: :lol: :laugh:

R_D

International Debutant
Lillian Thomson said:
:laugh: :laugh:
hahaha bloody smartarse.... most knew what i meant though ;)

i won't edit it now

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
That's not really one of the worst decisions though. It was a bit harsh, but he wasn't playing a shot and the ball might have hit the stumps.

It was the wrong decision, but it wasn't a shocker.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wasn't that decision which played a large part in neutral umpires being introuced into test cricket?

That decision was one of the most shattering ones I've ever seen for myself personally. I remember only being 13 at the time and it was the first time I properly remembered India coming to Australia so that series was very exciting, and then to see Sachin go out like that was :(

FRAZ

International Captain
Jono said:
Wasn't that decision which played a large part in neutral umpires being introuced into test cricket?

That decision was one of the most shattering ones I've ever seen for myself personally. I remember only being 13 at the time and it was the first time I properly remembered India coming to Australia so that series was very exciting, and then to see Sachin go out like that was :(
Excellent Jono !!

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
That's not really one of the worst decisions though. It was a bit harsh, but he wasn't playing a shot and the ball might have hit the stumps.

It was the wrong decision, but it wasn't a shocker.
If it might have hit the stumps then how was the decision wrong ?:unsure:

Anyways, It was the worst decisions ever IMO and an absolute shocker tbh.

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:
If it might have hit the stumps then how was the decision wrong ?:unsure:

Anyways, It was the worst decisions ever IMO and an absolute shocker tbh.
why was it???....it hit him in line and he didnt play a shot...it may have been a few inches high, but I have seen much much worse

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Pietersen being given not out by the third umpire in Nagpur off a caught and bowled was pretty lucky!

TBH I can forgive umpire errors, but the third umpire should surely not make such mistakes?!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
Certainly didn't look to be going over the stumps.