• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Decisions by an Umpire...

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What about Rob Bailey given out caught off his hip in the West Indies in 1990. The umpire appeared not to be about to give him out until Viv Richards came charging down the wicket with his third appeal. He was no where near it and Christopher Martin-Jenkins was prevented from commenting further on the match for suggesting that the umpire was intimidated by Richards into making the decision.
Actually yep, that's a decent pick. Shocker of a decision.

Not so much heat of the moment but surely Dean Jones' 'run out' in the WI in 1991 would be right up there too. For those who are too young, essentially Deano was bowled middle-peg by Courtney Walsh. He didn't hear the subsequent no-ball call and started to walk off. AB then screamed at Deano to get back because it was a no-ball and he turned and ran back but by then Carl Hooper had run him out. Now, the rules state speciically that a batsman can only be run-out off a no-ball if he attempts a run and umpire Cummberbatch stated that he thought Deano was off for a run hence why he gave him out.

Now, I don't know about you guys but I don't know anyone who thinks about taking runs when they've just had their middlestump pegged back.......... Certainly on the replay, one can clearly see Deano walking slowly off disapointed that he'd just been cleaned up. Definitely not looking to take a run.

utopianindigent

Cricket Spectator
Worst decisions by an umpire? Darrel Hair comes to mind, taking the route he did in the infamous test, and in no-balling Muralitharan - medical evidence and lots of investigation proved that he was wrong.

However, the worst performance by an umpire is Steve Bucknor at the Kingsmead test between Aus and SA this season, as well as the Wanderers test thereafter. He almost never got it right, and the importance of his errors in the context of those matches, were shocking. He needs technological support to help him see if he is to umpire important tests.

I found this Board googling 'worst cricket umpires' because I am collecting information about bad umpiring on one messageboard on ezboard. It's a negative board and a negative activity, but having one body of information on this subject could be very useful if something is to be done about it. look for worstcricketumpires.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
BoyBrumby said:
Early shout for Messers Hair & Doctrove over the replacing of the ball & 5 penalty runs, anyone?
I posted that before the Pakistan non-appearance after tea, you know. There's some gold amidst the crap I came out with occasionally. :happy:

Oli Norwell

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but anyone remember Ntini being given out LBW to win a test for England vs SA in August 1998? I think it was at Trent Bridge?

The ball was going so far down the leg side that the cameraman had to swing his camera round to keep the ball in the frame! I was pretty young at the time, and didn't understand lbw's completely, but even my gran would have known that wasn't out.

utopianindigent

Cricket Spectator
"Ntini being given out lbw"

That shouldn't be that important in the context of the game, as the Proteas are down and out if they need Ntini to bat through. However, doing that to Kallis, Smith, Rudolph AND Ntini in one innings, as Bucknor did at Kingsmead, OR to Rudolph AND De Villiers (both in form) in one innings as in Colombo, that is highly suspicious if not comically incompetent. It renders the outcome of the match unacceptable.