• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worlds Most Dangerous Cricketer (bowler or batsmen)

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Most dangerous would be someone who keeps smashing the ball into the crowd and is pretty fast when he's bowling... ie Flintoff.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Most dangerous would be someone who keeps smashing the ball into the crowd and is pretty fast when he's bowling... ie Flintoff.
And how surprising your english :mellow:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
what a surprise an englishman would suggest flintoff eh scaley....very predictable.. C'mon , You can't put Flintoff in the same class as Gilchrist....From a NZ'ders point of view, I'd much rather see the back of Gilchrist when he's batting against NZ than Flintoff...in fact I'd rate at least 3 other Australian Batsmen as more dangerous than Flintoff..and at least another 10 batsmen in world cricket i'd rather see the back off

But thanks for being so predictable though

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
GoT_SpIn said:
And how surprising your english :mellow:
When firing, I would doubt there's anyone in World Cricket to challenge Flintoff.

He's yet to be anywhere near on top of his game for both disciplines at one time, but he always seem to have a major impact with either bat or ball in every series.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
zinzan12 said:
what a surprise an englishman would suggest flintoff eh scaley....very predictable.. C'mon , You can't put Flintoff in the same class as Gilchrist....From a NZ'ders point of view, I'd much rather see the back of Gilchrist when he's batting against NZ than Flintoff
But is Gilchrist's keeping anywhere near Flintoff's bowling?

Mr Mxyzptlk

I would actually agree with Flintoff. He's turned into a bowler who a batsman must be very wary of and who can turn a game quite quickly. With the bat he can be so devastating too. IMO Flintoff at his best is as devastating as Gilchrist at his best.

Zinzan

No The fact gilchrist doesn't bowl is irrelevant - and that isn't got anything to do with it..I was referring to Gilchrist's batting when I refer to him as the most dangerous player... The way he consistently comes in and changes the shape of a test match usually within a session ..

Aside from that I'd hardly say a test bowling ave of 36 makes Flintoff the most dangerous player

Simon

my vote is for gilly too, flintoff's only danger is too himself given his current injury...

Craig

World Traveller
I would vote for Flintoff and Gilchrist.

And how do you find dangerous - where he is always looking like getting a wicket or dangerous where somebodies health could be danger if they get decked by a fast bouncer. In that case I would go for Shoaib Ahktar, when on form and on song he can rip through any batting line-up and has done so too.

Zinzan

okay possibly I have should have been clearer in creating this thread...."The most Consistently dangerous player"...

I mean sure Flintoff has the odd great test innings smoking sixes all over the place and sure Atkar on his day can rip thru the opposition......

but Gilchrist seems to do it almost 50% of the time...

Who else in test cricket has ever had a batting ave over 50 and a strike rate over 80 ..

just a reminder of his record

ave s/r
65 94 16 4109 204* 52.67 81.96 13 19 253 27

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Shane Bond can be quite devastating. Escpecially when he sees those yellow uniforms.

Batting.. Hmm... Gilly.

Zinzan

so you would rather see Flintoffs wicket fall when india plays Eng than Gillys wicket when India play aust?

Mr Mxyzptlk

zinzan12 said:
Aside from that I'd hardly say a test bowling ave of 36 makes Flintoff the most dangerous player
You should do more than simply glance at stats when making a point. Consider that he has 58 wickets in his last 17 Tests at an average of 25.06 and a SR of 53.3.

Mr Mxyzptlk

zinzan12 said:
I mean sure Flintoff has the odd great test innings smoking sixes all over the place and sure Atkar on his day can rip thru the opposition......

but Gilchrist seems to do it almost 50% of the time...

Who else in test cricket has ever had a batting ave over 50 and a strike rate over 80 ..
Flintoff's odd great innings have been coming more and more regularly in recent games.

Regarding Gilchrist, few have played in a team that allows such confidence in cricket. Not detracting from Gilchrist's skill, but I don't consider his Test record to be a fair reflection of it.