• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worlds Most Dangerous Cricketer (bowler or batsmen)

adharcric

International Coach
most dangerous RIGHT NOW ..

some people are talking about "when he was in his prime" or referring to how a player has performed throughout his career, that is not addresssing the question but rather one like "who has been the most dangerous cricketer of the contemporaries (throughout his career)?". in that case, you could go to some time when lara, tendulkar, mcgrath or muralitharan were absolutely devastating. right now i'd have to say, being an indian fan, i wouldn't like to face gilchrist.

Behlol

U19 Vice-Captain
i think shahid afridi(for his opponents and his own team)he can take the game at any stage and also give the game at any stage

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
And there was me thinking the greatest all-rounders would've been good at 2 disciplines.
Hmmm, let's see if we can name a better keeper than him in the world at the moment.

NZ - McCullum, No
England - Jones, Not even the best in own country
India - Nope
SA - De Villiers, See Jones
Pakistan- No
Sri Lanka- Sangakarra, No
West Indies- No

Rest, who cares.

So we have the best wk in the world, who would also walk into any team as a batsman. I say that qualifies him as an all-rounder.

That's not to say he's the equal of Knott, etc. in keeping skills, but his batting places him so far out in front of all other keepers in history that it's not funny and clearly into the ranks of great all-rounders.

After all, would Imran have gotten a game with all countries as a batsman alone - unlikely.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Gilchrist...cant go past him.. he is strikeing at over 100 in the last 3 years of ODI's i think..

tooextracool

International Coach
social said:
England - Jones, Not even the best in own country
perhaps not in the keeping department but in the batting how would you know? personally i doubt that gilchrist is the best keeper in australia either.

social said:
After all, would Imran have gotten a game with all countries as a batsman alone - unlikely.
err which team would not have wanted a player with a batting average of 37?the only side he would probably not have made it into was the WI side of that era.

social

tooextracool said:
perhaps not in the keeping department but in the batting how would you know? personally i doubt that gilchrist is the best keeper in australia either.

Darren Berry was his only rival in keeping quality but be retired at the end of last year.

err which team would not have wanted a player with a batting average of 37?the only side he would probably not have made it into was the WI side of that era.
That's the point, Gilchrist gets into every team at the moment on keeping ability alone (subject to having even moderate batting skills, of course).

Imran, whilst being a fantastic bowler, was a good batsman without being outstanding. Gilchrist, on the other hand, is the world's best keeper and one of the world's best batsmen.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
social said:
That's the point, Gilchrist gets into every team at the moment on keeping ability alone (subject to having even moderate batting skills, of course).

Imran, whilst being a fantastic bowler, was a good batsman without being outstanding. Gilchrist, on the other hand, is the world's best keeper and one of the world's best batsmen.
What you are effectively saying is that Gilchrist is the best wicketkeeper in the world (disregarding batting ability), which I very much doubt is the case. He is good, no doubt, but there is no easy way of quantifying keeping ability. Going by number of catches, stumpings etc. is flawed, as this is utterly dependent on the number of chances created by the bowlers. A 'keeper for a weak bowling team, such as Tatenda Taibu for Zimbabwe, gets comparatively few chances, hence his stats don't stack up as well, even though he has (IMO) far superior 'keeping skills. I certainly don't think Gilchrist would make every team on 'keeping ability alone, and I'm not even sure that he would make the Australian team on 'keeping ability alone. Certainly he would not have replaced Ian Healy if it weren't for his batting.

tooextracool

International Coach
social said:

there are at least 3 keepers i can think of who are far better keepers than gilchrist will ever be.

Choora

State Regular
social said:

Best keeper in the world??? Thats' news to me.He's the best wk/ batsman, but as a keeper alone he's certainly not the best.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
social said:
Gilchrist, on the other hand, is the world's best keeper and one of the world's best batsmen.
If Gilchrist is the world's best keeper, and I think this is highly debatable, then it is a very poor commementary on the quality of keeping in the world today and not a certificate of great keeping for Gilchrist.

There was a time, just before Kapil burst on the scene, when the best Indian new ball bowler/s would have struggled to make the top first class sides in most countries. This doesn't commend them as great or even very good bowlers.

social

SJS said:
If Gilchrist is the world's best keeper, and I think this is highly debatable, then it is a very poor commementary on the quality of keeping in the world today and not a certificate of great keeping for Gilchrist.

There was a time, just before Kapil burst on the scene, when the best Indian new ball bowler/s would have struggled to make the top first class sides in most countries. This doesn't commend them as great or even very good bowlers.
I am not saying that Gilchrist is an all-time great wk.

However, he is far from being a dud (as, with all due respect, Sunny Gavaskar was with the new ball) and easily the best test keeper in the world today.

The problem for other teams is that Gilchrist's batting ability has made it imperative for other teams to select keeper's as much for their batting as their keeping. Hence, a decline in standards.

tooextracool

International Coach
social said:
However, he is far from being a dud (as, with all due respect, Sunny Gavaskar was with the new ball) and easily the best test keeper in the world today.
then im afraid you havent seen the likes of read, latif,taibu and even kamran akmal.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
then im afraid you havent seen the likes of read, latif,taibu and even kamran akmal.
Not to say Boucher who is a keeper and eligible to play and hasnt retired, yet.

social

tooextracool said:
Seen 'em all and ...... you're kidding right

Kamran akmal is young with potential (but nowhere near Gilchrist's standard yet) but the others are ordinary.

tooextracool

International Coach
SJS said:
Not to say Boucher who is a keeper and eligible to play and hasnt retired, yet.
not only is he eligible to play but hes also in the SA side for the next test.
i initially did put down bouchers name but IMO, the keepers mentioned above are much better keepers than even boucher.

tooextracool

International Coach
social said:
Seen 'em all and ...... you're kidding right

Kamran akmal is young with potential (but nowhere near Gilchrist's standard yet) but the others are ordinary.
it is gilchrist who is ordinary with the gloves here. surely no one who watched the others would call any of them anything other than brilliant

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Arrow said:
Its a good average for an allrounder but marc was implying imran was more than very good with the bat which really isnt true. He was solid.
Solid doesn't give you an average of 52 when captaining.

Add in his bowling, and he is far far better an all rounder than Gilchrist.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
social said:
So we have the best wk in the world, who would also walk into any team as a batsman. I say that qualifies him as an all-rounder.
Absolute rubbish do you have the best keeper in the World - for a start Read and Taibu are far better.