• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worlds Most Dangerous Cricketer (bowler or batsmen)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Considering that Pakistan has considered him only for 19 tests so far, I assume, Afridi is being discussed mainly in the context of one day matches. Yes its true that at 103.3 his scoring rate is phenomenal but when you consider that his average innings lasts just around 20-22 balls, he doesnt seem to be that dangerous since the opposite side is more or less confident that he wilol throw it away.

The other day, after having already hit a big one, and then seeing a fielder placed exactly at the spot, he hit a full toss straight to the fielder on the fence. I am not sure if Woolmer would have been impressed with these 'dangerous' tactics. Cricket is not just a physical game, there is at least a minimal amount of commonsense that is required to play at the top. Afridi has still to demonstrate that he posesses that. If he did, he would surely have been a dangerous player indeed.

At least when he opens or goes at one down he scores some runs but batting at 6,7,8 and 9 he averages under 14. I think Afridi, mighty hitter of the cricket ball that he undoubtedly is, needs to think a bit and he could perhaps be the nightmare for good oppositions consistently as Gilchrist, Sehwag, Jayasuriya etc are.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Further, Afridi averages (in ODI's) 36 against Kiwies, nearly 30 against Zimbabwe and 29 against Bangladesh.

However against England he is under 20, against Windies 17 and against Aussues 11.5 !! Clearly he relishes a certain type of bowling.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
Hmm, comparing the 2 is a bit strange IMO - and I doubt there's an Aussie on here who wouldn't want Flintoff to play for them.
Depending on the balance on the side, if you want to play two spinners and three quicks or play four quicks and one spinner, and unless on spinning wickets, do Australia need four fast bowlers?

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Laras innings today against australia A was a reminder that when on song hes untouchable, even by Gilchrist.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
GoT_SpIn said:
True, but they aren't world class bowlers remember
Why werent they world class? Lee certainly is and i dont think they are any worse than the pakistani attack Gilchrist thrashed this summer.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
cric_manic said:
with the bat:he holds the record for most sixes........ enough said
So, when Flintoff overtakes him (which won't be long), will you immediately change your mind?

Besides that he holds a record in a form of the game he no longer plays.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Yes, but the likes of Miller, Sobers, Botham, Imran etc. were more than just very good in both disciplines.
Imran wasnt really a very good batsman. 37 in tests is average.
Id say gilchrist is a better keeper than imran was batsman.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Arrow said:

Thats very difficult to substantiate.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Imran not a good batsman?

And besides that Imran as a bowler is far better than Gilchrist with the bat.

Swervy

International Captain
Arrow said:
I think Imrans average was boosted by the fact he came in lower in the order etc..he had an average about 4 runs higher than Bothams..but I would consider Botham to be the better batsman.However, that said, Imran was a better batsman than you are saying there Arrow.He would certainly be in the current pakistan line up on his batting alone.

tecnically, Imran was very good,but he just didnt make the big scores enough

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Arrow said:
Imran averaged 37.7 in tests.

With an average of 37.2, Nasser Hussain played 96 tests for England and as a pure batsman !

If 37.7 is not a good average for an all rounder, I dont know what is ?

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Arrow said:
Why werent they world class? Lee certainly is and i dont think they are any worse than the pakistani attack Gilchrist thrashed this summer.
They are not world class because they are yet to make the test team or in Lee's case establish their spot. So your saying someone like Tate is better than Akhtar? Or Nathan Hauritz than Danish

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Arrow said:
Imran wasnt really a very good batsman. 37 in tests is average.Id say gilchrist is a better keeper than imran was batsman.
Was 37.7 not good enough for Imran to have played for Pakistan purely as a batsman ?

Here are some of his contemporaries who averaged less than him and played purely as batsmen.

Mohsin Khan (1978-86) 48 tests
Qasim Omar (83-86) 26 tests
Rameez Raja (84-97) 57 tests
Sadiq Mohammad (70-86) 41 tests.

There have been others since like Ijaz Ahmed 60 tests.

So clearly his average is not to be scoffed at and by no means can he be called, not really a very good batsman

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
GoT_SpIn said:
They are not world class because they are yet to make the test team or in Lee's case establish their spot. So your saying someone like Tate is better than Akhtar? Or Nathan Hauritz than Danish
They are both world class because they have played international cricket for australia and lee is currently one of the best one day bowlers in the world, certainly as good as akhtar, and Hauritz has played 8 ODI's with an average of 34 compared to danish's 10 games@ 43.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
SJS said:
Imran averaged 37.7 in tests.

With an average of 37.2, Nasser Hussain played 96 tests for England and as a pure batsman !

If 37.7 is not a good average for an all rounder, I dont know what is ?
Its a good average for an allrounder but marc was implying imran was more than very good with the bat which really isnt true. He was solid.