• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why was Malcolm Marshall so middling in ODIs?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'm more saying we either recognise his test stats as they are and deem him a great test AR or we ignore them as an abnormality and go by his FC stats and deem him an unproven test player ala Barry Richards

Either way works for me

People who want to say he wasnt a good enough bat in tests and that we should also ignore his test bowling success are the ones wanting to have their cake and eat it too. I just want one or the other
Seriously, stop with the Bevan/Barry Richards comparison stuff. It's silly.

Don Bradman included Barry Richards in his all time XI. As did Dickie Bird. As did Bob Willis. As did Rod Marsh. As did Graham Gooch. He's in cricinfo's all time SA XI. He's in Wisden's second all time XI. Guys who watched him/played against him rate him that highly.

Bevan has never been, nor ever will be, even mentioned in the context of a national or world all time XI.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Even ODIs when Dhoni and DeVilliers are around.
You could argue he doesn't belong there but that's not the context of what was being clarified.

Bevan absolutely does deserve to be discussed in the context of ATG ODI sides, just as Barry Richards does for tests. In fact he probably has greater claim to an AT ODI side than Richards does test side, since Bevan has a proper ODI record to judge him on.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Some people will have him in first XI, some in second XI. But he is not an automatic choice like Dhoni, Viv or Tendulkar. I have no issues to which team he is selected.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I feel like the guys who bring up Symonds as a troll point are doing a disservice to @Red Hill who actually believes he belongs at that level. We may agree or disagree with him but at least he is genuine and does not troll, I respect that. :)

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I feel like the guys who bring up Symonds as a troll point are doing a disservice to @Red Hill who actually believes he belongs at that level. We may agree or disagree with him but at least he is genuine and does not troll, I respect that. :)
It's more about how every discussion gets transformed into discussion about hypothetical ATG XI, more funny way to observe that is to refer to Symonds debate. It's a meta point.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's more about how every discussion gets transformed into discussion about hypothetical ATG XI, more funny way to observe that is to refer to Symonds debate. It's a meta point.
But Symonds being forcefully crammed into a side he doesn't belong in to play a role he isn't good enough for is definitely part of it.