• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

why do left hand batsmen look better ???

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
Is there a reason that most left hand batsmen look more elegant than the right handed batsmen ??? and do u think that left hand batsmen are better performers than right handed batsmen ??? if so whats the reason ???

IMO the left handers look better when they bat..and left handers are the most sucessfull batsmen too.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
nookie_lk said:
Is there a reason that most left hand batsmen look more elegant than the right handed batsmen ??? and do u think that left hand batsmen are better performers than right handed batsmen ??? if so whats the reason ???

IMO the left handers look better when they bat..and left handers are the most sucessfull batsmen too.
Left-handed batsmen are bunnies! haha Well, I consider them to be in the comp I play in, despite the fact that some of them have dispatched me to the boundary on more than one occasion, I just don't find them difficult to bowl to.

Anyway, I digress, I take it you're talking about the batsmen we see on TV etc playing first class cricket rather than Nigel Nobody playing weekend comps. I'm not sure why left-handers look more elegant than right-handers, I've never actually noticed that they do!? I guess batsmen like Hayden, Lara etc add to the argument they do, but then Hayden isn't so much elegant as someone who takes the game by the scruff of the neck.

In short, I have no idea, it took me a while to get there, but I had to look like I was adding something to the topic!

thirdslip

Cricket Spectator
Among frontline batsmen, there is a greater proportion of lefthanders than among tailenders, I think. That could cause such a perception. But there are many who wouldn't count as elegant at all. Remember Larry Gomes?

- T

Swervy

International Captain
more often than not the ball is coming across a left hander, and so drives and cuts may have a tendency to be played from further away from the body...this may give the impression you are talking about

Langeveldt

Soutie
I think Mark Waugh and Mohammed Azharuddin were the most graceful batsman ever to grace the game..

At the moment, I rate Rahul Dravid, Neil McKenzie, Michael Vaughan, Daren Ganga and Marvan Attapattu as some of the best technical batsmen in the game today..

And while it obviously has no relation to ability!! I have been compared to Tom Graveney in batting appearance.. Apparently he looked a bit stylish with the bat on occasions...

All Right handers..

And then you look at guys like Graeme Smith, Marcus Trescothick and Mark Richardson... Yuck!

IMO it cuts both ways, but it is a matter of opinion...

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
In general, with the notable exception of Brian Lara, I much prefer watching right-handed batsmen!!

I think one of the reasons why left-handed batsmen often do better is because the selection of bowlers is often based on figures, and those who prefer bowling to right-handers (ie Shaun Pollock) will have better figures than those who prefer to bowl at left-handers (ie Ashley Giles), because there are more right handers to bowl at. Therefore teams fill themselves with bowlers who are good at getting out right-handers, and the left-handers face less of a threat. Does that make sense? :blink:

Pradeep

Cricket Spectator
May be its the way you look at it. When there is a deviation from the normal, and it still produces the result, things look special. Not that left handed batting is abnormal, but may be there are more right handed batsmen. And if my guess is right, you must be right handed.
Wonder what a left-handed batsman makes of a right-handed bat.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I prefer watching right-handed batsmen in general. Of course, watching right-handed batsmen makes me think I could perhaps if I try really hard, play the same shots I'm watching, and then proceed to get myself out trying to play those shots.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
I don't think they all look better then right handers but perhaps it is true that a good percentage are very elegant.

A right handed bowler slanting across the left hander gives the batsman more of a chance to play good looking shots like the flick away on the on side, the on drive, leg glance and as already mentioned some normal shots look even better. A left handers cut is (at times and depending on the batsman and considering thousands of variables:P) very attractive. The only left hander I don't like to see cut is Graeme Smith. Ugly!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
steds said:
none of us can really comment on how graceful he was, as none of us saw him.
That single, still shot on the old Wisden cover tells me all I need to know.
Likewise you can see how elegant Hammond was with still shots.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There are plenty of batsmen who I'd say cannot be seperated on elegance. A few examples: Gower, Laxman, Azhar, Atapattu, Hussain, Anwar, Ganguly.
It is definately true that left-handers are more prevolant (these examples are not a random sample, I deliberately selected more right-handers), no-one knows why for certain I guess.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
That single, still shot on the old Wisden cover tells me all I need to know.
what, that completely posed for shot tells you all you need to know????

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, I can imagine the rest - the curling swing, the contact sending the ball scurrying along the turf, and the flowing follow-through.
You never know, I might be wrong, but from descriptions I've read I'd back myself to have got it right.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
I think it's pretty much even in terms of attractiveness, maybe favoured slightly towards to the lefties. Having said that, there are a few lefties who aren't pretty at all, eg Lehmann and Hayden.