• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

why do left hand batsmen look better ???

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Richard said:
That single, still shot on the old Wisden cover tells me all I need to know.
Likewise you can see how elegant Hammond was with still shots.
That is so true. A still photo can speak volumes about a player's elegance. :)

Dark Hunter

State Vice-Captain
I don't think Left Handers are better than Right Handers, More Gracefull maybe, but not better.
Bradman, Hammond, Hobbs, both the Waughs and others (can't think of others off the top of my head) are all RH.
But I always enjoyed watching LH bowl, don't know why.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
I don't think Left Handers are better than Right Handers, More Gracefull maybe, but not better.
That's what we are discussing! Whether or not left bats look better than right bats. :D

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
There are plenty of batsmen who I'd say cannot be seperated on elegance. A few examples: Gower, Laxman, Azhar, Atapattu, Hussain, Anwar, Ganguly.
nasser hussain?elegant? you got to be kidding me.

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
My favourite batsman all time was saeed anwer...as many of u will agree he should be one of the most elegant players in the world. i have never seen any righthander in his calibre play such elegantly.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Richard said:
That single, still shot on the old Wisden cover tells me all I need to know.
Likewise you can see how elegant Hammond was with still shots.
Not really, if there is only one pic. Get one of those flick books to REALLY see how elegant they were. I love my bradman one

Its like...

flick
flick
flick
flick
flick
flick
flick
flick
flick
flick
flick
flick
flick
flick
flick
flick
flick

WOOOOOW!!!!!!!!!! Its awesome that book :mellow:

Langeveldt

Soutie
I just love watching someone straight from the textbook face Jason Gillespie or someone.. Get Ganga or McKenzie in there anyday..

Shame their pro careers have stuttered, IMO they look awesome.. Oh well, shows how good the textbook is!

tooextracool

International Coach
im surprised not many people have brought dravid up especially considering that hussain and ganguly (who is about as ugly as ugly can be on the leg side) have been mentioned
IMO geraint jones looks extremely elegant from what ive seen from him so far and of course VVS,vaughan,ponting,jayawardhene,attapattu and yasir hameed.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't know why they look so good, but it is probably because they play away from their body more often and their bat swing looks good because of that. But I think (and I have only watched cricket since 1990) that the right handers seem more technically sound than the lefties. Perhaps it evens out this way. Lefties are better to watch while the righties are more technically sound.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
i guess fewer batsmen are lefties than righties. may be the novelty value adds to their allure...

FRAZ

International Captain
Usually The Bowlers Are Addicted To Bowl At The Right Handers And Left Handers Are Not In Large Numbers , So May Be In The Bowlers Mind This Left Right Thing Messes Up A Bit So The Left Handers Get Easy Deliveries Too .

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
nookie_lk said:
yeah..i dont think Hussain is elegant....
Really?
I do.
Either you haven't watched very much or you don't share most of us' definition of elegant.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
im surprised not many people have brought dravid up especially considering that hussain and ganguly (who is about as ugly as ugly can be on the leg side) have been mentioned
IMO geraint jones looks extremely elegant from what ive seen from him so far and of course VVS,vaughan,ponting,jayawardhene,attapattu and yasir hameed.
I could have mentioned all of those if they happened to be those which popped into my head.
They weren't, though.

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
Richard said:
Really?
I do.
Either you haven't watched very much or you don't share most of us' definition of elegant.

well i have watched a hell of alot of Hussain's batting but i have seen better elegant players than him....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hussain is an epitome of elegance if you ask me.
His off-side driving and pulling cannot be bettered IMO.

Deja moo

International Captain
IMO , players who bat wrong-handed look elegant .I mean righties who bat lefthanded ( Ganguly , Gower ) and lefties who bat right handed ( Tendulkar ).

I guess it is because batting "wrong handed" , you would tend to bat in a different manner than if you batted "normally" , and that might look more graceful .

See , if you are right handed , and are batting leftie , your dominant hand ( right one) controls the arc of the swing , and the right hand would do it more gracefully than the left hand if you are a rightie.

There are those like Gower who claim that Right is left and left is right ( not so , IMO )

Thoughts ?