• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's the greatest spinner of all time?

Who's the greatest spinner of all time?

• Total voters

ataraxia

International Coach
In your opinion, who's the greatest spinner?

For me I want to say Grimmett but it has to be O'Reilly. Such a gun.

Verity has an incredible FC record, Laker that 19, Kumble most test wickets for a spinner. Tayfield, Gibbs, Underwood all accurate and underrated. Ashwin & Jadeja, the current duo, and Wilfred Rhodes my personal favourite.

I think that the value of a great spinner tends to be underrated. Like, the generally-agreed-upon greatest three teams of all time, none of them had a great spinner. MacGill was on and off, and Ian Johnson was... well... Ian Johnson.

Do not mention the freak or the freak, or you shall be banned

cnerd123

likes this
Murali obviously.

But of the options in the poll - Lance Gibbs, followed by Kumble, then O'Reilly/Grimmet and then Ashwin (who could eclipse them soon). Verity and Laker in the same bracket as Ashwin.

Don't really rate Tayfield and Underoowd that highly, while Rhodes is a favourite of mine but did play a lot of his career as a batter.

Xix2565

International Debutant
Feels like a soup really after Murali/Warne. Kumble getting slightly underrated in such lists IMO so I'd pick him over the rest.

ataraxia

International Coach
Do not mention the freak or the freak, or you shall be banned
It was a bit of stretch to expect any CW discussion of spinners to be good, wasn't it. Even without Burgey coming into the thread and saying someone in particular's a chucker and some breed of bowlers is inferior, this discussion is still pretty dire.

Would still prefer it doesn't degenerate into ****** vs *****