• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would be your top 10 greatest Asian cricketers?

Sir Alex

Banned
Okaaaay.

Yes sir, I understand that. But I just can't stand you. Its fine when others question me.

Someone who is not considered to be a troll around these parts, unlike you.

Oh, jeez! Thanks man, forgot about that little tool completely! Guess who is going into that list first?
**** off.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
All time Asian 11? Something like this would be closer I'd say:

Hanif Mohammed
Sunil Gavaskar
Kumar Sangakkara +
Sachin Tendulkar
Javed Miandad
Aravinda de Silva
Imran Khan *
Kapil Dev
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Muralitharan

Dravid or Sehwag could probably walk into that lineup just as easily though.
Yeah, swap de Silva with Dravid, make Dravid bat at 3 and Sangakkara at 6 and you get my Asian XI.

AaronK

State Regular
And Gavaskar didn't bat under pressure? And Miandad? No?
ya but they didn't bat with a fragile top order batting.. i would like to remind u that Pakistan lost Aamir sohail in 98...Saeed anwar in early 2003.. after that Pakistan tried over 15 different pairs..which was a total of over 30 players as an opener.. Pakistan maintained a solid strong team despite that and it was becuase of Inzi who so many times saved them..

if you are comparing Gavasker to Inzi.. don't even bother man.. Inzi was watchable while Gavasker was so slow that would put u to sleep even at his best..

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Okaaaay.

Yes sir, I understand that. But I just can't stand you. Its fine when others question me.

Someone who is not considered to be a troll around these parts, unlike you.

Oh, jeez! Thanks man, forgot about that little tool completely! Guess who is going into that list first?
**** off.
Yeah, you have a great day too.
Completely inappropriate guys. If you can't get along just put each other on ignore and let it go, but don't sidetrack threads with your arguments.

Teja.

Global Moderator
ya but they didn't bat with a fragile top order batting.. i would like to remind u that Pakistan lost Aamir sohail in 98...Saeed anwar in early 2003.. after that Pakistan tried over 15 different pairs..which was a total of over 30 players as an opener.. Pakistan maintained a solid strong team despite that and it was becuase of Inzi who so many times saved them..

if you are comparing Gavasker to Inzi.. don't even bother man.. Inzi was watchable while Gavasker was so slow that would put u to sleep even at his best..
Gavaskar at his best could put you to sleep?Did you even bother reading up about him/seeing him play or are you just following the stereotype?
Just some Innings of my mind..

2nd Test: India v West Indies at Delhi, Oct 29-Nov 3, 1983 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com
121 of 128 balls against Marshall and Holding at their peaks(They both took over thirty wickets that series at or below 20)

6th Test: India v West Indies at Chennai, Dec 24-29, 1983 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com
236 of 425 balls coming in at 0-2 against Marshall,Holding and Roberts in the same series. Roberts admittedly not at his best.

3rd Test: India v West Indies at Ahmedabad, Nov 12-16, 1983 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com
90 of 120 balls against Marshall and Holding in the same series

Reading off the scoreboard, You know who Gavaskar had for company to face one of the greatest attacks put together of all time? In order, Gaekwad, Sidhu, Patil, Shastri, Binny Dev, Azad, Kirmani, Sandhu, Singh. Only one of them averaged over 40 overall(Sidhu) and he wasn't the Batsman he became later then.

Gavaskar had to face extreme pressure through out his career. Journalists relished every opportunity to criticize him and ask for his retirement, When Gavaskar was bowled by Holding for 90 and could not achieve his 30th century that test, A Journalist gave Holding a box of vintage wine! He had to face angry mobs whenever he had a poor run.

Like he said in 'Runs n' Ruins' Batting slowly was not a choice, the situations Gavaskar faced warranted it.

If you have any more doubts about Gavaskar's ability against quality bowling

Marylebone Cricket Club v Rest of the World XI at Lord's, Aug 20-25, 1987 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com
188 of 351 against Hadlee and Marshall opening the bowling in the year he retired, Rice and Shastri as the other bowlers.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just looking at this thread it is clear a top 20 is easier to do than a top 10 as there are 5 or 6 clear candidates then the others could be argued over for eternity and any combination could be argued as acceptable.It just highlights the contribution that Asian players have made to cricket over the years and people should stop getting so upset if their favourite is left out of another persons list.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
My Asia Test XI will be like this:

Hanif Mohammad
Sunil Gavaskar
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Javed Miandad
Kumar Sangakkara+
Imran Khan*
Kapil Dev
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Muttiah Muralitharan

My Asia ODI XI will be like this:

Sanath Jayasuriya
Sachin Tendulkar
Zaheer Abbas
Javed Miandad
Inzamam-ul Haq
Mahendra Dhoni+
Kapil Dev
Imran Khan*
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Muttiah Muralitharan

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
My Asia Test XI will be like this:

Hanif Mohammad
Sunil Gavaskar
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Javed Miandad
Kumar Sangakkara+
Imran Khan*
Kapil Dev
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Muttiah Muralitharan

My Asia ODI XI will be like this:

Sanath Jayasuriya
Sachin Tendulkar
Zaheer Abbas
Javed Miandad
Inzamam-ul Haq
Mahendra Dhoni+
Kapil Dev
Imran Khan*
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Muttiah Muralitharan
De Silva over Miandad for ODIs. Lesser Average, but superlative SR than Miandad

AaronK

State Regular
Gavaskar at his best could put you to sleep?Did you even bother reading up about him/seeing him play or are you just following the stereotype?
Just some Innings of my mind..

2nd Test: India v West Indies at Delhi, Oct 29-Nov 3, 1983 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com
121 of 128 balls against Marshall and Holding at their peaks(They both took over thirty wickets that series at or below 20)

6th Test: India v West Indies at Chennai, Dec 24-29, 1983 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com
236 of 425 balls coming in at 0-2 against Marshall,Holding and Roberts in the same series. Roberts admittedly not at his best.

3rd Test: India v West Indies at Ahmedabad, Nov 12-16, 1983 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com
90 of 120 balls against Marshall and Holding in the same series

Reading off the scoreboard, You know who Gavaskar had for company to face one of the greatest attacks put together of all time? In order, Gaekwad, Sidhu, Patil, Shastri, Binny Dev, Azad, Kirmani, Sandhu, Singh. Only one of them averaged over 40 overall(Sidhu) and he wasn't the Batsman he became later then.

Gavaskar had to face extreme pressure through out his career. Journalists relished every opportunity to criticize him and ask for his retirement, When Gavaskar was bowled by Holding for 90 and could not achieve his 30th century that test, A Journalist gave Holding a box of vintage wine! He had to face angry mobs whenever he had a poor run.

Like he said in 'Runs n' Ruins' Batting slowly was not a choice, the situations Gavaskar faced warranted it.

If you have any more doubts about Gavaskar's ability against quality bowling

Marylebone Cricket Club v Rest of the World XI at Lord's, Aug 20-25, 1987 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com
188 of 351 against Hadlee and Marshall opening the bowling in the year he retired, Rice and Shastri as the other bowlers.
Just one inning.. the rest of his career he batted with strike rate of mid 50s even in ODI matches...even Dravid has days that he tend to play with better strike rate but that doesn't make him an aggrassive and watchable batsman..this is not the case with Gavasker but dravid has never been the main batsman who has taken charge.. he has simply played the supporting role in most of his innings.... he is fine to keep one end while batsman like Sehwag, Sachin, even Ghambir pile runes in the other end.. but he never played the main role himself.. where he has taken charge and other batsman batted around him..that is why i never rated dravid that high..

Moreover, i don't think those batsman that you have named were as bad as the pairs pakistan tried.. I mean look at this list.. Imran Farhat, Imran Nazir, yasir hameed, taufeeq Umar, M. Wasim, W. Wasti, and the list could go on and on....at least those batsman that u named were good enough to keep their place in the team.. the feeling with pakistani batting line up was that they would start with 2 to 3 down back in 2003 or 04..that is how bad the top order of pakistan was..but most of the time they were helped by Inzi..

Moreover, it was gavasker who brought that on himslef.. why Sachin is not treated that way.. He was slow and sloppy at times and Journalist find it easy to target him..

Teja.

Global Moderator
Just one inning.. the rest of his career he batted with strike rate of mid 50s even in ODI matches...even Dravid has days that he tend to play with better strike rate but that doesn't make him an aggrassive and watchable batsman..this is not the case with Gavasker but dravid has never been the main batsman who has taken charge.. he has simply played the supporting role in most of his innings.... he is fine to keep one end while batsman like Sehwag, Sachin, even Ghambir pile runes in the other end.. but he never played the main role himself.. where he has taken charge and other batsman batted around him..that is why i never rated dravid that high..

Moreover, i don't think those batsman that you have named were as bad as the pairs pakistan tried.. I mean look at this list.. Imran Farhat, Imran Nazir, yasir hameed, taufeeq Umar, M. Wasim, W. Wasti, and the list could go on and on....at least those batsman that u named were good enough to keep their place in the team.. the feeling with pakistani batting line up was that they would start with 2 to 3 down back in 2003 or 04..that is how bad the top order of pakistan was..but most of the time they were helped by Inzi..

Moreover, it was gavasker who brought that on himslef.. why Sachin is not treated that way.. He was slow and sloppy at times and Journalist find it easy to target him..
All Innings I quoted(The first 3) in the beginning are from one single series. The names I quoted are from a scorecard(of the 3rd match) directly, they were not the only ****e batsman Gavaskar had to bat with.

Gavaskar was definitely not half the man Sachin is, I will admit.