• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would be your top 10 greatest Asian cricketers?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Top 10 Test Players:

1. Muttiah Muralitharan
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Sunil Gavaskar
4. Imran Khan
5. Wasim Akram
6. Waqar Younis
7. Javed Miandad
8. Kapil Dev
9. Kumara Sangakkara
10. Rahul Dravid

Top 10 ODI Players:

1. Muttiah Muralitharan
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Zaheer Abbas
4. Mahendra Dhoni
5. Wasim Akram
6. Kapil Dev
7. Javed Miandad
8. Sanath Jayasuriya
9. Imran Khan
10. Inzamam-ul Haq

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
A very very strong team indeed. Although I would disagree with you on picking Azhar over Dravid. Dravid IMO can weather all storms under all conditions. Probably the most technically sound batsman of the post 1995 era. Also he is one real fighter.
Actually I've made a change. My #3 is Zaheer Abbas, averages 40+ at a SR of over 85 playing in early 1980s. Only second to Viv!

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Top 10 Test Players:

Muttiah Muralitharan
Sachin Tendulkar
Sunil Gavaskar
Imran Khan
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Javed Miandad
Kapil Dev
Kumara Sangakkara
Rahul Dravid

Top 10 ODI Players:

Muttiah Muralitharan
Sachin Tendulkar
Zaheer Abbas
Mahendra Dhoni
Wasim Akram
Kapil Dev
Javed Miandad
Sanath Jayasuriya
Imran Khan
Inzamam-ul Haq
I'd think De Silva was a better ODI player, than Inzamam

Athlai

Not Terrible
May be, but you won't find a better fifth bowler than Jayasuriya, who was "programmed" to bowl darts at the death. De Silva and Sachin underrated with their spin.

If I really needed a fifth bowling option, would go for Razzaq more than Kapil, because of big hitting he brings. If bowling wa more important, would bring in Vaas over Kapil.
Yeah Razzaq might be an okay option but seems a little out of place in an all-time XI to me for some reason. Afridi would seem like a better option, obviously weakens the batting a lot but the bowling would be better. Afridi in a GREAT team would be interesting to see, if he fails it would rarely be a big deal but if he came off it would be immense.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Are you joking?
De Silva even similar batsman to Inzamam. Inzamam averages 38 with a SR of less than 80 playing up to very recent times where average SR was around 75. Dr Silva averages 34 with a SR of 82 when the average SR of the era was around 70. I'd say inzamam's record is slightly better than de Silva's Additional to that Se Silva is a canny off spinner, and a great fielder as well. As the whole package De Silva > Inzamam.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Have you seen big hitting from Kapil?
I've seen, but Razzaq has torn apart the best ODI bowlers in last one and half decades. I'd rate both on par. If a wanted a bash against spinners, Kapil is my man, and against pacemen, Razaaq.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah Razzaq might be an okay option but seems a little out of place in an all-time XI to me for some reason. Afridi would seem like a better option, obviously weakens the batting a lot but the bowling would be better. Afridi in a GREAT team would be interesting to see, if he fails it would rarely be a big deal but if he came off it would be immense.
Once again Afridi is an enigma as Kapil. Both of them like to bash spinners rather than fast men. Razzaq other way round. I already have Imran in my team who is well known to use the long handle against spin, and all the batsmen up the order prefer to play spin than pace (barring De Silva). Due to those reasons I'd back Razzaq. But TBH, I only need three bowlers (Wasim, Waqar, Murali) plus two all rounders (Imran, Jayasuriya) to do the bowling. If I really want some one to steam roll the opposition, I'll drop Inzamam and get Akthar or Saqlain in depending on the opposition.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
For me, Razzaq is comfortably out of the top 10 Pakistani ODI players, let alone top 10 Asian ODI players. And Kapil is one of the candidates for my all-time ODI World XI. One or two pacific oceans between the two.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Kapil the new Bradman . . .
When did I say that Kapil has torn apart the best bowlers of the world for one and a half decade? I can't make that blame for Sachin, too. (He has consistently torn apart only Warne among the best bowlers in the world. With most of the others, he had an even contest.) But since you think the same about Razzaq; he must be someone like Bradman, if you are true.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
For me, Razzaq is comfortably out of the top 10 Pakistani ODI players, let alone top 10 Asian ODI players. And Kapil is one of the candidates for my all-time ODI World XI. One or two pacific oceans between the two.
That will depend on which team they are a part of and according to the requirement. In my team requirement is two all rounders where one can put seamers to the sword, and other spinners. When it comes to Seamers Razzaq > Kapil. It has nothing to do that Kapil > Razzaq as a batsman. Then my other all rounder is needed to be a top class bowler. In that requirement Imran > Kapil. It has nothing to do that Kpail and Imran were similar in ODIs as all rounders. You can have a different team and have your own reasons behind it. Above are my reasons for it.

On a side not,. I'd back Wasim, Waqar, Imran, Murali and Jayasuriya to do well on 95% of the time. Other 5% there is SRT and De Silva who are very canny with their bowling as well.
So I'd be sticking to the team that I've picked with above bowlers.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
On a side not,. I'd back Wasim, Waqar, Imran, Murali and Jayasuriya to do well on 95% of the time. Other 5% there is SRT and De Silva who are very canny with their bowling as well.
Jayasuriya, Sachin and Desilva bowling 10 overs among them outside subcontinent doesn't sound like the best of ideas to me. Does it, to you?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Kapil is the 6th name I'll be writing down in my all-time Asian ODI XI (after Murali, Sachin, Abbas, Dhoni and Wasim). He was as good a lower order hitter as Asia has ever got, except Dhoni. Besides that, as an ODI bowler alone Kapil is arguably better than even Waqar (they are very much comparable).

Xuhaib

International Coach
thats how he got a free ride in a very good Pakistan odi between 96-02 luckily for him his bowling improved heaps when we became a crap side.

and Razzaq is clearly > Afridi in odi's.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Jayasuriya, Sachin and Desilva bowling 10 overs among them outside subcontinent doesn't sound like the best of ideas to me. Does it, to you?
When you have Wasim, Waqar, Imran and Murali, do you expect that there will be many set batsmen to take advantage of it?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Kapil is the 6th name I'll be writing down in my all-time Asian ODI XI (after Murali, Sachin, Abbas, Dhoni and Wasim). He was as good a lower order hitter as Asia has ever got, except Dhoni. Besides that, as an ODI bowler alone Kapil is arguably better than even Waqar (they are very much comparable).
That is your opinion of course. My perception is Kapil is no where near Waqar as a test or an ODI bowler. Imran would have been a better bet.