• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who should replace Peter Siddle for the Tour of New Zealand?

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
...but Mark Waugh said he was test quality potential...:)

Really couldn't think of anyone else and couldn't be bothered to look outside of QLD tbh.
If Mark Waugh was in a good enough mood to wax lyrical about a Queenslander he must've had a decent winner at the harnesses recently. Even if you don't look outside Queensland, Swan is better than him, Laughlin is better than him - hell, Scott Muller could come out of retirement and be better than him.

It's a shame that every fast bowler in this country is mentally soft, physically soft or crap. Maybe they should throw Josh Hazlewood to the wolves.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Tait. He's fast. Who cares if he's only capable of bowling 2 over spells, they'd be entertaining 2 over spells :D I don't like his action, but I just love watching the bloke bowl, something about rapid pace that just makes for entertaining cricket. I'm still hoping to one day see an Australian attack of Johnson, Lee, Tait and Nannes. That'd be a seriously entertaining bowling attack to watch, even if it's just for a T20 game.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Tait. He's fast. Who cares if he's only capable of bowling 2 over spells, they'd be entertaining 2 over spells :D I don't like his action, but I just love watching the bloke bowl, something about rapid pace that just makes for entertaining cricket. I'm still hoping to one day see an Australian attack of Johnson, Lee, Tait and Nannes. That'd be a seriously entertaining bowling attack to watch, even if it's just for a T20 game.
Tait is retired from test cricket because he's a headcase.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Mark Waugh was in a good enough mood to wax lyrical about a Queenslander he must've had a decent winner at the harnesses recently. Even if you don't look outside Queensland, Swan is better than him, Laughlin is better than him - hell, Scott Muller could come out of retirement and be better than him.

It's a shame that every fast bowler in this country is mentally soft, physically soft or crap. Maybe they should throw Josh Hazlewood to the wolves.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
This stuff about McKay not being Test quality is absolute rubbish.
He could pass as potential test quality, but he doesn't look like the type of bowler who would have long term success. But he clearly is next in line ATM to tour NZ now that Sidvicious & Hilfy are injured.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
McKay did not look Test quality to me, based on what I saw in his first Test match and during his ODI career. He just does not look like he can pry out wickets and looks to be a yard short of pace for a hit the pitch bowler - I'm talking a yard rather than any sort of mph reading, as someone like Mcgrath was said to be hard-done-by, by the speed gun and often rushed batsmen whereas batsmen seem to have time to play McKay and adjust to movement.

However, I'll happily take the word of people who have seen him bowl good spells in domestic FC cricket and do believe that he is the rational choice.

bryce

International Regular
The idea that Harris has gone from solid first class medium pacer to potential superstar is even more ludicrous. The man is a good bowler, but he generally doesn't get it all together like how he displayed against Pakistan.
I duno he looked almost a completely different bowler from when I last saw him, most notably with the new ball. I rembered him as an up-and-down short of a length off-stump bowler, and he never really looked international class. Now he looks like a full of a length bowler, who generates sharp lift from this length on or slightly outside off stick, added in a few extra clicks. Looks the sort of man who would keep slip cordons very busy.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the thing with Harris right now is that he's fresh. Hes come off a pretty long term injury and has obviously waited until it's 100% right instead of rushing back, he's barely bowled this season but looks in good form and it's showing.

inbox24

International Debutant
Hilfenhaus definitely, especially in swing friendly conditions. Doubt anyone else is even ready to play for Australia.

Hilfenhaus
Johnson
Bollinger
Lee
Clark
Hauritz
Nannes

These should be the only bowlers in consideration for playing tests at the moment. Sure McKay and Harris have done well in these ODIs, but tests is a different ballgame. McKay would at best be a military medium. Nannes hasn't been tried yet so I would give him a go to see where he's at and if he could be a future option.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I think McKay has the tools to be an effective fast bowler in Tests, just needs a bit more experience as he seems a bit one-dimensional at the moment (from what I saw in his only Test and in a couple of the ODIs).
He seems like someone who would do well to get movement off the pitch rather than trying to swing it. With Johnson, Bollinger, Watson, Siddle and/or Hilfenhaus you have enough people who can move it in the air.

Last edited:

Simon

But he does have experience an test knowledge, you can throw Lee in there knowing he'll do a job. Nannes has to become a test bowler and it doesnt happen overnight.

Top_Cat

Going with Zac; McKay. Hasn't really shown his best bowling for OZ yet.

TBH, no-one's bashing the door down. Cutting's right at the top and he's only taken 25 wickets in 6 games. At this rate, no-one going to breach 50 wickets for the season which would surely be the first time in years.

If not McKay, it's basically a pick on potential or past performances at this stage.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Hilfenhaus definitely, especially in swing friendly conditions. Doubt anyone else is even ready to play for Australia.

Hilfenhaus
Johnson
Bollinger
Lee
Clark
Hauritz
Nannes

These should be the only bowlers in consideration for playing tests at the moment. Sure McKay and Harris have done well in these ODIs, but tests is a different ballgame. McKay would at best be a military medium. Nannes hasn't been tried yet so I would give him a go to see where he's at and if he could be a future option.
Nah Clark shouldn't play for AUS anymore. His pace has declined way too much as we have seen in recent months in international cricket & for NSW.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
But he does have experience an test knowledge, you can throw Lee in there knowing he'll do a job. Nannes has to become a test bowler and it doesnt happen overnight.
The only reason Nannes hasn't be considered yet for AUS for test this summer is because of his age & because he has been injured alot this season thus not playing much FC cricket. He was just as good for McKay for Victoria last season FC averages if not better.

As i said before if AUS could pick Colin Miller & Hogg for the tests & odi teams respectively despite an advanced aged the same can & should have been done with Nannes already for the tests & ODIs a long time ago.