• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who should be the next West Indies Test match captain?

Who should be the next West Indies Test Captain

• Dwayne Bravo

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Darren Bravo

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Kirk Edwards

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kieron Pollard

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Denesh Ramdin

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Ramnaresh Sarwan

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
Just don't get the impression that Marlon is always giving his all out there either at the crease or in the field. Ram dun is sadly the only logical choice right now.
I think he has a tendency to want to look cool all the time, but I also think he's pretty intense about his batting now. I like that he has a bit of lip in his interviews and wants to be recognized as a top level test batsman. Ramdin's 'Talk Nah' moment makes me always picture him as immature but you're probably right. If Lil B can build on his double, he could also be ok. Again, not from any tactical standpoint...just get rid of the deadweight and get 11 players who can either bat or bowl.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A bit like if England got rid of Cook or Clarke suddenly quit for Australia though there is no decent candidate already in the side apart from the keeper and would you want the keeper to do it? yes Dhoni has done a great job for India over the years but it is a real hard job to combine the keeping and batting with the captaincy.

Can see West Indies having to have an entire regime change for Sammy to go with Gibson and his staff being booted out too.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Can see West Indies having to have an entire regime change for Sammy to go with Gibson and his staff being booted out too.
That's a definite possibility. The batting coach Toby Radford has already left us before the India tour (with disastrous consequences). Richard Pybus is our Director of Cricket now so it's up to him. He's meeting Otis in January to discuss the way ahead so I guess it depends how Otis performs during that discussion as to his future. Sammy is definitely out, that's for certain.

Interesting to see the support for Darren Bravo so far in this poll. I reckon that's more an indication of Ramdin's lack of popularity on this board, which was always going to be the case after 'talk nah' gate.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Its funny how this is a popular opinion after a series where Sammy had the 4th highest batting average and second best bowling average for his team. His catching was top class too. I don't think Sammy is great, but as a third seamer with a Dwayne Bravo as 4th seamer, he is decent and is being treated unfairly due to the inability of the other quick bowlers being selected.

Ideally I would like to see this team: 1) Gayle 2) Brathwaite 3) Bravo 4) Samuels 5) Chanderpaul 6) Bravo 7) Ramdin 8) Sammy (c) 9) Narine 10+11 two quicks, hopefully Roach and Holder.
This.

The only nuance I would add to NUFAN's most excellent analysis is that he needs to be watched closely. The NZ pitches did a bit for him. I have seen him get smacked a bit on roads. I would like to see him develop his cutters further so he isn't cannon fodder on the Napier's of this world.

Ferraz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I want to see Pollard in the test line-up eventually as he's better than most people think in the longer formats and could really destroy tiring attacks. I'm just not sure how often someone has made their test debut and been captain in the same match.
Forgive me for thinking he already made his test debut!

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Forgive me for thinking he already made his test debut!
Yeah Polly can be a bit of an idiot on the field. He's one of the few members of our side that will have a go at the opposition like that. The likes of Watson and Warner have tried to sledge him before and got more then they bargained for back. I actually don't mind it tbh as long as he's kept under control and doesn't overdo it. I'd like us to be more aggressive, we're often far too friendly with opposition teams.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I was a firm supporter of giving Marlon the job before his recent bad form...mainly because he was a fixture in the side and is clearly a respected figure in the dressing room. But thinking long term i'd now be inclined to give the gig to young Darren Bravo...he's gonna be playing for us for at least another ten years and is a cert to play in all formats...so never again would we have the situation Sammy has put us in.

Logic though would suggest Ramdin could be in poll position considering he's already vice captain...it's gonna be very interesting to see though..i just can't wait to see with Richard Pybus comes up with. Spoke to the former Bangledash bowling coach Ian Pont the other day who has worked with Pybus and he claims Richard could "totally transform our cricket"...he's got the keys to the car for sure so hopefully he'll sort things out....i've already sent him a message outlining the fans concerns and the issues we'd like to see addressed regading our domestic system.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Spoke to the former Bangledash bowling coach Ian Pont the other day who has worked with Pybus and he claims Richard could "totally transform our cricket"...he's got the keys to the car for sure so hopefully he'll sort things out....i've already sent him a message outlining the fans concerns and the issues we'd like to see addressed regading our domestic system.
How are you so connected to a) talk to Ian Pont b) email Pybus?

Shri

Mr. Glass
Would give it to Chanderpaul and then Sarwan since they are both close to retirement. Let Bravo settle in as a test batsman for a couple of years before giving him the captaincy. Just like the Ganguly - Dravid - Kumble - Dhoni transition.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
says a lot that the 33yo guy who hasnt played in a test for 2 years isnt considered the joke option

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Give it to Darren Bravo and just roll the dice baby.
24 hours ago would have thought this was a legitimate option. Did you read Beamer's article however? Little Bravo offended the entire bowling unit by blaming them for the batting collapse in the 2nd test. Said the batsman couldn't be arsed putting in an effort if the bowlers weren't going to try.

I think that comment was ill advised even though he got deceived into making it by assured that all feedback was welcome.

I don't think he is wise enough to be a captain just yet.

In case you didn't read the article he was greeted by a beamer off 18 yards in the next nets and taken out of commission for the 3rd test.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah I haven't, did he post it in the NZ/WI tour thread? Wouldn't mind having a read.

Also lol at "Beamer" linking to an article where Bravo then got a beamer and got injured.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Chanderpaul isn't even prepared to shift one spot up the order, there's no way he could be persuaded to captain this bunch of entitled ****s. As stupid as some of his dismissals look, I'd back Ramdin. Dumb dismissals haven't led to a lack of public enthusiasm for McCullum as captain, so I don't see why it should for Ramdin.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah just go with Ramdin. He appears to be the best keeper bat by a distance judging by the WI posters take on it, even though they don't particularly rate him. He's skippered before and if given a tough coach to keep a lid on his random outbursts then he could do some good.