• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is/was the ultimate, most proficient and masterful medium-paced-dibbly-dobbler?

srbhkshk

International Captain
An additional 15 kph is a heck of a lot of additional kph. I think that would go for any bowler. Do love his bowling though.
That's true but I meant in the sense of him seriously lacking in pace to start with, even with 15 kph extra he would just be bowling at ~125.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
He isn't even close to being the answer, but I loved watching Ganguly bowl, could have been a serious asset with an additional 15kph.
Additional 5 - 8k would have had a difference. Generally possible with some work.

Flametree

International 12th Man
It's a role that seems to have disappeared. Nowadays batsmen who bowl part-time tend to bowl spin a la Root, Williamson, Smith.

I had a look at tests played around 1999-2000 (since that seemed to be peak England dibbly selections..) and top 6 batsmen who bowled a reasonable amount, or were selected in part because of their bowling skills....

Australia - Waugh, Waugh, Blewett
England - Butcher, Hollioake (Adam, his brother was quicker than dibbly), Ealham, Irani, Maddy
India - Ganguly, Robin Singh
NZ - Astle, McMillan, Twose, Harris (and Horne bowled occasionally didn't he?)
Pakistan - no-one, though I do recall Younis bowling swingers every now and again. They had Razzaq and Mahmood as genuine allrounders
South Africa - Cronje
Sri Lanka - Ranatunga, Hathurusinghe
West Indies - Hinds, though he didn't bowl much. Hooper started as a medium pacer but was probably bowling spin by this point...
Zimbabwe - Whittall, Johnson

Sanjay Bangar was one I remember that no-one has mentioned.

Bevan Congdon would be in contention with Cronje and Walters as one of the best...

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Gurusinha could be added too, but he was much like Phil Simmons, at some times medium, and some times very very quick for a part timer.

Add Indika Gallage too.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Bangar was not dibbly dobblies. He was proper fast medium, although at the slowish end of the spectrum.

Syed Rasel, Mushfiq-ul-Rahim (not the keeper), Akram Khan from Banglasdesh bowle dibbly doblies.
Ijaz Ahmed and Salim Malik did for Pakistan.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's a role that seems to have disappeared. Nowadays batsmen who bowl part-time tend to bowl spin a la Root, Williamson, Smith.

I had a look at tests played around 1999-2000 (since that seemed to be peak England dibbly selections..) and top 6 batsmen who bowled a reasonable amount, or were selected in part because of their bowling skills....

Australia - Waugh, Waugh, Blewett
England - Butcher, Hollioake (Adam, his brother was quicker than dibbly), Ealham, Irani, Maddy
India - Ganguly, Robin Singh
NZ - Astle, McMillan, Twose, Harris (and Horne bowled occasionally didn't he?)
Pakistan - no-one, though I do recall Younis bowling swingers every now and again. They had Razzaq and Mahmood as genuine allrounders
South Africa - Cronje
Sri Lanka - Ranatunga, Hathurusinghe
West Indies - Hinds, though he didn't bowl much. Hooper started as a medium pacer but was probably bowling spin by this point...
Zimbabwe - Whittall, Johnson

Sanjay Bangar was one I remember that no-one has mentioned.

Bevan Congdon would be in contention with Cronje and Walters as one of the best...
Yeah is something that has really gone out the game.

Was always an absolute classic part of an England team. Even after the time you mention England always had one or two, Trescothick and Bell both bowled a bit early in their careers and of course Collingwood and then Trott. Nothing now, Jennings and Vince were the last two. Should bring them both back.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ had an attack in the 90s literally called dibbly, dobbly, wibbly and wobbly. Think it was Larsen, Harris, Rod Latham and Willie Watson. We could go a whole 50 overs bowling under 115-120km/ph and not turning it (apologies to Dipak Patel who probably got one off the straight every now and then)

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Walker would be way too quick wouldn't he? Definitely a proper real bowler, and a good one. Dunno anything about Cosier so will defer to you.
TBF Walker probably wasn't that much faster than Willie Watson, though I don't lump Watson in with Larsen and particularly Harris and Latham, he was a quicker than them. Wouldn't be surprised if he was quicker than Snedden.

Cosier on the other hand, was the kind of bowler you (if you were an international batsman) would be embarrassed to get out to, so he certainly belongs as a cobbler. Doesn't meet the criteria of being good though.

Also go to 0:45 to see Chappell, a fine dobbler in his own right, bouncing out Derek Randall.

Also Lance Cairns is missing a shoutout here, he was way slower than quite a few of bowlers mentioned and a good bowler of big inswingers and little leg cutters.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Gary Cosier certainly doesn't meet the criteria of the thread title. Dibbly dobbler perhaps, but hardly masterful and proficient.