• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is/was the ultimate, most proficient and masterful medium-paced-dibbly-dobbler?

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
The match Starfighter posted above was what I thought of when it came to medium-paced-dibbly-dobblers (though not necessarily good ones). I mean, this is a brilliant bowling scorecard:

Screen Shot 2022-04-01 at 10.49.42 am.png

I recall watching highlights of the first test in 1978/79 (IIRC), and Miller, talking about Australia's bowling options, said something like, "... And Cosier, if you regard him as a bowler of any class. I certainly don't."

Last edited:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That match is a great example of proper dobbling. I don't define a dobbler as someone like Copeland or Chatfield, who are military medium but are accurate, land the ball on the seam and can be expected to take wickets. To me a dobbler is someone who's even slower and would never, ever think about bowling a short ball, is often part time and is the kind of bowler who should never be taking wickets in this era of covered pitches.

A dobbler's someone you should be at least a little bit embarrassed at getting out too. Chatfield, say, was merely not all that quick. But Larsen and Latham, you'd think there should be no way in hell their bowling should have succeeded. They're dobblers.

I'm currently watching highlights of an ODI where Richards and Gomes are bowling medium pace in tandem. That's dobbling.

JBMAC

State Captain
Would the following be considered as candidates for here....Carlson, Mackay(K),Walters, Hookes?

Starfighter

Is there any reason Hookes bowled so little during his career? Just watching him in a McDonalds Cup match in '85, opening the bowling no less. Looks distinctly useful the in Hansie Cronje mould and too swift to be a proper dobbler.

Must say the pace bowling in those matches looks noticeably gentler than today's domestic bowling.

Last edited:

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Would the following be considered as candidates for here....Carlson, Mackay(K),Walters, Hookes?
Carlson certainly was a dobbler, but I wouldn't venture that he was good, certainly not at test level.

Mackay might be a better suggestion.

Starfighter

On the other hand's Hookes' bowling a year later against NZ is laughably slow. Maybe a case of the dodgy back, looking at that action.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On the other hand's Hookes' bowling a year later against NZ is laughably slow. Maybe a case of the dodgy back, looking at that action.
Not uncommon at all for batsmen that are capable of bowling decent seam-up to pretty quickly give up completely and revert to slow dobblers or (more commonly) finger spin, if they ever feel like bowling for whatever reason. This happens at all levels.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
The Jacob Oram thread got me thinking on dibbly-dobblers (not that big Jake was that...) whose area of excellence really only seems to exist in ODI cricket due to the middle innings strangle or going for a partnership breaker because everyone else is getting smacked about.

Thinking about it, as a team role, even a craft, who was the best? I'm not talking about partially legit seamers like Steve Waugh (at least initially not), seamers who might even be able to crank it up past 135k if they've had their weetbix. No, I want to celebrate what would otherwise be mediocrity or sub-standardness if wheeled out in Tests, or even T20s where I would've thought they'd excel but proved to be more fodder of all the formats.

The likes of Chris Harris, Collingwood, Astle or Ganguly. Do Ian Harvey and Jesse Ryder fall into this, or do they have more tools to be a cut above?

As I'm a young-un I only really know of those in the last 20 years of the game, so would be keen to be enlightened to earlier of the part-timers, with a look to creating a poll to determine who is the king of pedestrian...
Praveen Kumar. I remember his first series in England, swung it a mile with literally no pace. His workload was poorly managed and injuries cut-down his career, but he was doing so well despite of bowling in and around the 125k range.

Starfighter

Not uncommon at all for batsmen that are capable of bowling decent seam-up to pretty quickly give up completely and revert to slow dobblers or (more commonly) finger spin, if they ever feel like bowling for whatever reason. This happens at all levels.
Well Hookes took up Chinaman of all things which is usually considered the hardest to bowl.

Weedeater59

Cricket Spectator
Gavin Larsen is the first name that comes to mind.

Guy whittal, Mark Ealham, Robin Singh, Madan lal (going further back), Derek Underwood, Hansie Cronje....

Modern day dibbly dobblers are more or less part timers. Vijay Shankar comes to mind, terrible bowler.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
In my view, the term 'dibbly-dobbler' evokes someone of about Derek Shackleton's pace:

2,857 first-class wicket in 657 matches at 18.65 .... and 18 wickets in 7 tests at 42.66.