• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the worst player to have a Cricket World Cup Winner's Medal?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sunil Vason, who was part of India's 1983 squad, didn't play a match and never played an international.

But I'd still bet he was a better cricketer than Doherty.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sreesanth is hard to beat if that's the criteria. Not only did he play, but put in a horrible performance which led to him getting dropped from the format for good.

Starfighter

The intent of the thread was to discuss only those players who played in the final but can't fault anyone for pointing out Vince and Doherty
Kirti Azad would be a good shout. Average of 14 and 7 wickets at 39 in 25 matches for a supposed 'allrounder'. His grand contribution in the '83 final was a duck, three overs for seven with no wickets, and no catches.

Last edited:

morgieb

Xavier Doherty 2015

/thread
He wasn't in the Winning XI....thankfully.

Actually hard to think of one in the Aussie winning teams (well, other than 87). Moody probably in 99? Bichel probably the weakest link in 03 but he still had a gun World Cup, that XI was utterly ridiculous on paper. Tait had the worst career out of our 07 contingent but again, he was brilliant that World Cup. Hogg probably has a case for both of them, harsh as that is. 2015 probably Haddin on ability, Faulkner on career. All of 2003, 07 and 15 had insane first XI's on paper, which probably explains how only one game was lost in those World Cup's.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Nothing to do with the thread, but Gordon Greenidge played in three finals, got two winners medals and barely scored a run (or 20 odd).

Burgey

Of those who've played in a winning final, I think the following are in the reckoning here:

Vanburn Holder, Bernard Julien, Risti Azad, Greg Dyer, Wickramasinghe, Tait.

vcs

Kirti Azad would be a good shout. Average of 14 and 7 wickets at 39 in 25 matches for a supposed 'allrounder'. His grand contribution in the '83 final was a duck, three overs for seven with no wickets, and no catches.
Good shout. Loving his Wikipedia entry haha

It was alleged, probably rightly, that he made it to the Indian team not because he was talented, but because his father, Bhagwat Jha Azad, a former Union minister and chief minister of Bihar, was an influential politician. The so-called all-rounder's poor record for India lends credence to this widely-held belief.

Flem274*

123/5
shaun tait really turned it on in the 07 wc. in the preceding commonwealth bank series he was rapid but pretty comfortably played. i remember flashes of a game where he kept feeding peter fulton's pads.

showed up in the windies as an unplayable god.

vcs

Think he got some stick on here when he sprayed it around and relieved the pressure when Australia had us in trouble in the 2011 WC QF.

fredfertang

As oppose to if you bumped in six, because I was thinking about James Vince and his unillustrious contribution to the 2019 squad's victory. Liam Dawson also managed to snag a winner's medal.
I was gambhiring, for once successfully

Daemon