• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who Is The Second Greatest Batsman Ever?

Who Is The Second Greatest Batsman Ever?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Poll? :unsure:

This one is a crap-shoot tho, to be honest. I think one could perhaps name a dozen batsmen and none would be embarrassed by the title. Chaps of yore like Grace, Ranji & Hobbs (or Trumper if you're that way inclined) would all merit serious discussion through to yer Laras, Sachins, Kallises & Punters of more recent years.

Me? I'm an unashamed Lara fanboy, but the second best? I really wouldn't be able say with any confidence at all. I think dominance of contemporaries is perhaps the surest guide and, based on that, Grace and Ranji look to have very strong cases.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Jack Mack, please add WG Grace, Trumper and Ranji. I forgot to add them after I added batsmen by averages.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Disappointed at the lack of RS Bopara on that list. So I guess I'll have to go with Sir Garfield Sobers, or Sachin Tendulkar. Difficult choice.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Disappointed at the lack of RS Bopara on that list. So I guess I'll have to go with Sir Garfield Sobers, or Sachin Tendulkar. Difficult choice.
Notice how all options are players that averaged over 50 with the bat (Barring Chris Martin)? Bopara couldn't get a 50 in an Ashes series if his life depended on it. :laugh:

Out of that list, probably Tendulkar, but if I end up voting it'll be for Hayden. :)

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Notice how all options are players that averaged over 50 with the bat (Barring Chris Martin)? Bopara couldn't get a 50 in an Ashes series if his life depended on it. :laugh:

Out of that list, probably Tendulkar, but if I end up voting it'll be for Hayden. :)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Andy, please add the other options to the poll. I'll then consider you the best mod above Jack.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
2 England's greatest Test batsman.
He who had a cover drive from heaven.
3 GS Sobers
4 BC Lara

After that the rest of the greats can line up in whatever order 5 to 10.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Probably Gazza Sobedog. As he might be called if he were a rapper.

I voted for Viv though.

Status
Not open for further replies.