• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the next big thing

Next big thing?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Francis

State Vice-Captain
I see somethinf in Bandara... don't know why, I just think as he matures he'll be a fine cricketer. I reckon he could be better than the severely underrated Daniel Vettori.

Blaze

Banned
Francis said:
I reckon he could be better than the severely underrated Daniel Vettori.
How is Vettori underrated? If anything he is overrated. A test average of around 35...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Chawla isn't the biggest turner of the ball, but uses flight so well. Has a lot of variation, and can hold a bat. He was a class above at the YWC.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
vic_orthdox said:
Chawla isn't the biggest turner of the ball, but uses flight so well. Has a lot of variation, and can hold a bat. He was a class above at the YWC.
I'll go with that

Francis

State Vice-Captain
How is Vettori underrated? If anything he is overrated. A test average of around 35...

You Kiwi's are something interesting. I talk to a lad from Auckland from time to time and he said to me, "We Kiwi's are uncertain on how to rate Vettori, we're reluctant to say he's very good, but will take offense if somebody says he's not very good."

Vettori is an amazing ODI bowler who had a purple patch in 2004/2005 when he was keeping teams from scoring more than 30 runs off him per match and taking the odd wicket. Plus he plays his best against Australia for some reason. Lovely changes of pace too.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bandara does nothing for me - limited variation and spin.

Monty possibly because there hasnt been a decent left-armer for eons so he is something different.

Cullen is apparently very good but will struggle, IMO, to be a big threat because of Aus pitches rather than lacking in talent.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think Bandara will make a good ODI player, because he's pretty skiddy and hard to get under. Not sure if he has the potency to be as good in Tests. He might be, but I'm not sure.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
howardj said:
Monty - may not be the next big thing.

But is the man England have been looking for - a spinner who is mildly threatening and economical.
I'd reserve judgement till he plays a year on English pitches with very little help.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chaminda_00 said:
Any chance of people explaining their choices, i would be very interested to see why people have picked the various bowler. Especially Piyush Chawla, from what i've read about he is rated very high.
I picked Haque because he was the only one without any votes at that stage and I didn't want him to feel left out.

Craig

World Traveller
I picked Jack.

Let's just say it moved me to a BIGGER house (whoops I said the loud part quiet and the quiet part loud).

Salamuddin

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
I've gone for Chawla - young man looks to have a huge future.

While I hope Chawla does well in his career, it would be good to be mindful of the fact that
Sivaramakrishnan, Hirwani and Bahutule (teenage Indian leg spinning prodigies) all promised a lot but couldn't last.

Time will tell if he joins those ranks or those of GUpte, Chandrasekhar and Kumble.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
I picked Haque because he was the only one without any votes at that stage and I didn't want him to feel left out.
I was going to vote for him, but i was going to wait to see what others voted for and their reasons to see if they pushed me towards another player.

IMO Haque has the potential to be as be better then the rest of them. I think he is one of those guys that can help a team like Bangladesh stay competitve if he reaches his potential. He and Mortaza can do a similar thing to what Murali and Vaas did for Sri Lanka, but to a lesser extent. His got great tempermant, good vartiety and a very good head on his shoulders for someone so young. Chawla will be probably be better then him overall cus he can bat, but when it comes to bowling i think Haque slightly better, but then again i haven't seen Chawla live. Bandara as said before doesn't have great variatation and may not be more then just a decent bowler at Test Level.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
Who put Danish up there?? Danish has been in international cricket since last 4-5 years, and all these years i have been hearing that he will be the "next big thing"!!

I think majority agrees here on Chawla, i'm pretty much convinced that he will become a world class allrounder for India in about 2-3 years.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I was also going to vote for Ross Taylor, but then I noticed the list features only spinners.

Ive heard alot about this guy Chawla, but until he steps up and makes an impact at international level..im not tempted to vote for him yet.

Jeetan Patel has certainly surprised me. His OD & FC stats certainly don't stack up to suggest he'd be any good at international level...but so far he's done reasonably well.

From that list, i'd go with Kaneria..mainly because very few of the rest are proven yet.