• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the greatest test spinner of all time?

Who is the greatest test spinner of all time?

• Derek Underwood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hugh Tayfield

• Anil Kumble

• Hedley Verity

• Jim Laker

• Total voters

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Warne and Murali averaged about 50.0 against some of the prominent batsmen of their era. Their head-to-head record is very poor. Against elite batsmen..... O'Reilly, H Verity and R Jadeja have good record.
Where is this data from? Cricinfo statsguru gives you unusable stats when you look for vs. bowler records

BazBall21

International Regular
Warne and Murali averaged about 50.0 against some of the prominent batsmen of their era. Their head-to-head record is very poor. Against elite batsmen..... O'Reilly, H Verity and R Jadeja have good record.
Do you have O’Reilly and Verity’s records against prominent batsmen?

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Where is kim Jong un? He can bowl all forms of spin and even invented many new forms of it and averaged >10 with the ball in the prestigious NK super league competition. Shame about those rebel players who went to South Korea though .....

DCH

Cricket Spectator
Where is this data from? Cricinfo statsguru gives you unusable stats when you look for vs. bowler records
For, Head-to-head data, best website is cricmetric.
For historical data, Cricviz guys have got huge database.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh we could say Indian in 90s, Lara and couple of Sri Lankans were best in the business in playing high quality spin in the whole cricket history, just co-incided with Murali / Warne careers.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Where is kim Jong un? He can bowl all forms of spin and even invented many new forms of it and averaged >10 with the ball in the prestigious NK super league competition. Shame about those rebel players who went to South Korea though .....
Oh his newest variation is enriched with Plutonium.

DCH

Cricket Spectator
Oh we could say Indian in 90s, Lara and couple of Sri Lankans were best in the business in playing high quality spin in the whole cricket history, just co-incided with Murali / Warne careers.
Actually Murali has great record against 'average' test batsmen + Wks + allrounders. But against very best of his era, his numbers are below par. Here is full list of his head-to-head record where data is available.

Attachments

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually Murali has great record against 'average' test batsmen + Wks + allrounders. But against very best of his era, his numbers are below par. Here is full list of his head-to-head record where data is available.
Understandable. Becausw he was a lone warrior. This is the vwry reason if lone warriors will have bettwr averages and SRs if they had support, despite having lower wicket counts.

I bet same would be observed with Hadlee too.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Understandable. Becausw he was a lone warrior. This is the vwry reason if lone warriors will have bettwr averages and SRs if they had support, despite having lower wicket counts.

I bet same would be observed with Hadlee too.
I would assume that in an attack like sri lanka the best batsmen would ideally play murali out and look to score off the other bowlers, no? So i'de assume his average and sr would be higher vs better batsmen but his econ would be lower. Would be nice if the above post had it sorted by average but from a brief look it seems like this isn't the case? Murali had a far worse average vs ponting, tendulkar and sehwag then he did vaughan but vaughan also struggled to score off of him. Maybe the way i'm thinking about this is more a limited overs way of doing things or i've just got a bad sample from the above post. Boundary percentage may also be an interesting metric, you'de assume that if the better batsmen are playing him out they'de just be looking to move the strike over vs him rather than hitting boundaries.

halba

International 12th Man
Warne was the best by some distance.
Muralis stats padded by Bangladesh and Zimbabwe

Warne is so great, there is no comparable spinner In the world today with that diverse skill set- flipper, wrong un, zooter etc . Whereas Murali has similar in Ashwin, Jadeja, Shakib, etc. All three have the carrom ball, the arm ball, slider etc.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I heard a point of view that Warne and Murali were so well performed because the batsmen of that era had little experience facing spinners of their quality. Had they faced O'Reilly, Grimmett, Verity they would have struggled just as they struggled against Warne and Murali.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I heard a point of view that Warne and Murali were so well performed because the batsmen of that era had little experience facing spinners of their quality. Had they faced O'Reilly, Grimmett, Verity they would have struggled just as they struggled against Warne and Murali.
Where England pitches as anti spin as they are nowadays? I can understand English bats getting to international level and struggling vs warne and murali if there facing spinners who have developed on your standard English decks that don't give any assistance to spinners unless your from Somerset and are in a system that only pick spinners if they can also bat.

On the topic of modern bats going back and facing guys like o"Reilly etc, you've gotta be a bit careful with comparisons like that don't you? From what I've heard O'Reilly was VERY slow, like Matt Parkinson slow. If you ripped him out out of his era and forced him to face the 2000's Indian lineup on Indian decks without time to adjust and pick up the new tricks of the trade I feel like it'd be a bloodbath.