• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the greatest test spinner of all time?

Who is the greatest test spinner of all time?

• Derek Underwood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hugh Tayfield

• Anil Kumble

• Hedley Verity

• Jim Laker

• Total voters

a massive zebra

International Captain
This is just Warne v Murali with extra steps. Get him, mods.
In terms of the popular vote and current reputation this is probably true, but a primary reason for this is recency bias.

Whether Warne was objectively better than O'Reilly is very debatable. O'Reilly was more consistent, has a far better record against the strongest team of his time and a far better first class record. Warne's very best series were probably better than O'Reilly's, but given the relative number of Tests they played and subsequent sample sizes, this is only to be expected. Warne also captured the public imagination more and was probably more hyped up by contemporary press, but if we go be these criteria then Lillee > McGrath and May > Barrington.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In terms of the popular vote and current reputation this is probably true, but a primary reason for this is recency bias.

Whether Warne was objectively better than O'Reilly is very debatable. O'Reilly was more consistent, has a far better record against the strongest team of his time and a far better first class record. Warne's very best series were probably better than O'Reilly's, but given the relative number of Tests they played and subsequent sample sizes, this is only to be expected. Warne also captured the public imagination more and was probably more hyped up by contemporary press, but if we go be these criteria then Lillee > McGrath and May > Barrington.
I know your thoughts on this broski. I thought it's funny that OP has made 2 previous attempts at Warne v Murali struck down by the mods so he added more options to bypass that. I don't know why but the relative placing of Murali and Warne is very important for PC's database.

ataraxia

International Coach
I know your thoughts on this broski. I thought it's funny that OP has made 2 previous attempts at Warne v Murali struck down by the mods so he added more options to bypass that. I don't know why but the relative placing of Murali and Warne is very important for PC's database.
The obvious solution is to have O'Reilly win.

DCH

Cricket Spectator
Warne and Murali averaged about 50.0 against some of the prominent batsmen of their era. Their head-to-head record is very poor. Against elite batsmen..... O'Reilly, H Verity and R Jadeja have good record.

Attachments

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Warne and Murali averaged about 50.0 against some of the prominent batsmen of their era. Their head-to-head record is very poor. Against elite batsmen..... O'Reilly, H Verity and R Jadeja have good record.
So what you’re saying is yet another thread where the answer…