• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the best spinner in the world right now?

Who is the best spinner in the world right now?

• Total voters

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Think Bishoo still belongs in the discussion but wish he can play longer without his fingers getting tired or injured :(

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well, it really remains to be seen though. AFAIC, if he did not have fingers or wrists that get tired/injured/worn after what is a normal workload for a spinner, I feel he would be pretty near or just below Yasir. I know it is a bit like saying Zak would have been a great fast bowler between 2006-2012 if he did not get injured so often... Being fit enough to play regularly is as important for a cricketer to be rated as any other factor.

Just recording my disappointment at his fitness levels as he is someone I enjoy watching bowl.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
But unlike the case of Zaheer (versus someone like Anderson for example), Bishoo's control, accuracy, googly and consistency are also not as good as Yasir. Zaheer at his best had roughly the same skill set as Anderson - and he was also good with reverse. The only thing Bishoo has that is as good or better than Yasir is his stock delivery (legspin) when it lands where he wants it to.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Yasir is too new to be rated properly IMO. Has only played 10 tests so far and those too in reasonably favorable conditions.

I do see lots of talent and energy but remains to be seen how we will do in Aus or Eng.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah, Yasir is all class.. And its not the smali type gambhiring either. I genuinely rate the guy.. I rate him so much that I picked him as my lead spinner in a draft not long ago.. :)

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Who voted for Tahir in the original poll? Or Vettori? -Great ODI bowlers though

Shakib better tban Lyon maybe? Craig looks mediocre but has spun NZ to 4 test wins recently (vs WI, Pak, SL & Eng) so is a matchwinner.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
On SC conditions no one can touch Ashwin.But have to see what Ashwin can do on a road, and SSC is waiting for him. Best spinner? May be Nathan Lyon as he has done OK both home and away. Herath is fading away very fast.

I wish Kaushal gains bit more control over his bowling. There's a spin bowling monster in the making of him.

the big bambino

International Captain
Now that Ajmal is struggling in his rehab I'd say Herath by the distance of a Shane Warne leg break. Then Lyon but Yasir does look good and he's next best imo. Ashwin at 4 Mishra at 5 Benn at 6 Zulfiqar 7. Keep an eye out for Leeroy Piedt and expect Kaushal to be a top performer very soon.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Herath did recently get dropped for a game. He did win his Test a team from practically nowhere after he was recalled, tbf, but I don't find it a very easy question to answer at the moment. All the contenders are either on the way out, only very recently on the way in or have really struggled when conditions aren't in their favour. I'd be tempted to say Lyon.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting to find what happened to Abdur Rehman, haven't seen any one putting as much revs as him on the ball.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
He became so bad that Somerset sent him home early from his overseas stint with them. Randomly seemed to lose it.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ashwin's been ridiculously good at home. Pretty much been a huge part of every win we've had there in the last few years. His overseas record isn't great but I thought he bowled much better than the figures suggest in Australia last year.

I'd probably give it to Lyon though despite him having some real shockers in Asia. He just feels more dependable.

Or Herath.

Ah **** it idk.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Also with regards to Ashwin, he missed out on overseas pitches that were helpful for spinners in Durban and Adelaide, would have definitely been a factor had he played those tests.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
Judging by rankings overall, Shakib is the best spinner in the world. In limited overs its Shakib followed by Ashwin and Tahir. In tests, its Herath followed by Yasir and Ashwin. Shocking though that quality of spin bowling today has gone downhill even amongst Asian teams.