• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the Best Left Arm Spinner in the World?

Who is the Best Left Arm Spinner In The World

• Mohammad Rafique

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Ashley Giles

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • Daniel Vettori

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Ray Price

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Other (Please State)

Votes: 6 9.7%

• Total voters

a massive zebra

International Captain
I would say Rafique for his consistently excellent performances in an otherwise help yourself attack. Giles has done well of late but only for a few matches as part of a very confident, in form attack. Vettori has been a liability against every side except Bangladesh for the last couple of years and Price also deserves to be mentioned..

V Reddy

International Debutant
I thought Price would have been more successful than all those but his intl career ended in an abrupt and a sad way. I would rank Giles at present as the best among them , followed by Rafique . Rafique will get more wickets as the other bowlers around him are poor.

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
On current form, 3 on even footing and Vettori just behind IMO. On general quality, even footing, agree there.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Vettori hasn't been a liability!. Vettori hasn't taken wickets but he certainly hasn't been smashed around either..I think it's just a matter of him gaining confidence again.
He lost confidence in flighting the ball, but he's starting to produce some very good spells again.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It's one thing getting it against Bangladesh, but he needs to do it against the better nations though!

shaka

International Regular
His last 5wkt bag was against australia, at the WACA of all places, not a lot more that you can do to distinguish yourself as better than average.

bashar

Cricket Spectator
I voted for Rafique simply because I am proud that he is from Bangladesh. We have never had anyone in the top 20 PWC. Moreover, considering his family's economic disadvantage from childhood, (I actually have read that he had to walk and swim across a river to get to practice), I have a special respect for him. Really hope he is a true inspiration for youngsters. He has also shown humility and exceptional sportsmanship in a world littered with sledging and cheating.

We need more guys like him not just for his team but for the good of cricket.

Otherwise, I can also see Giles vying for the same spot as he has managed to be succesful in different conditions.

May I be permitted to include this write up which I though was simple and aslo to the point:

Just a tribute-Rabeed Imam

bryce

International Regular
V Reddy said:
Rafique will get more wickets as the other bowlers around him are poor.
Thats exactly right, the next best bowling average behind rafique in the current bangladeshi lineup is tapash baishya who averages 52 in test cricket and less than 2 wickets a match, who else is supposed to get the wickets ?

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
It's one thing getting it against Bangladesh, but he needs to do it against the better nations though!
Which is proven against his superior Test record against Australia (better then his own Test record) and has done well v Sri Lanka IIRC.

If Giles took 6 wickets v Bangladesh you probably wouldn't stop praising him since your his number 1 fan.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Vettori's own recent form up to the Bangladesh series has been poor (Australia was nearly three years ago) - a distinct lack of wickets.

Other than getting at Marc, I don't see what your post adds to anything.

Craig

World Traveller
Neil Pickup said:
Vettori's own recent form up to the Bangladesh series has been poor (Australia was nearly three years ago) - a distinct lack of wickets.

Other than getting at Marc, I don't see what your post adds to anything.
It was sarcasm.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
id have to go with rafique... that mortaza had something as well, is he still injured?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I still believe Vettori could be well above the rest of those players. He's still only 25 so he's got plenty of time to turn things around.