• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the Best Left Arm Spinner in the World?

Who is the Best Left Arm Spinner In The World

• Mohammad Rafique

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Ashley Giles

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • Daniel Vettori

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Ray Price

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Other (Please State)

Votes: 6 9.7%

• Total voters

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
Of course you shouldn't go into a match with an all pace attack - I never suggested that. Vettori needs a good kick up the ass, he needs to be dropped at some stage so he can go sort his bowling out. That is my opinion. However him doing well against Bangladesh will *hopefully* give him some confidence because realistically Bracewell and co. won't drop him.

I disagree about Vettori's batting making up any difference. Our top order needs to start taking responsibility and score more consistantly. It's all good and well we have teams lately where everyone has a first class or international hundred, but if we are to look at winning test matches we obviously need to take wickets. The best bowler should be chosen.

bryce

International Regular
Macka said:
In my opinion Bruce Martin deserves a go in tests. Saying Vettori is the best spinner in NZ isn't saying much, plus I think Martin could be a lot better, it's just difficult to tell without him getting chances. He is injured at the moment anyway.
bruce martin bowls way too defensively which is not what you want from a test spinner, he's in the same mould as brooke walker except obviously he bowls a different style, both of them will/would never be effective wicket-takers in the test arena.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Macka said:
I disagree about Vettori's batting making up any difference. Our top order needs to start taking responsibility and score more consistantly. It's all good and well we have teams lately where everyone has a first class or international hundred, but if we are to look at winning test matches we obviously need to take wickets. The best bowler should be chosen.
I suppose if Vettori was considered good enough to play as a batting allrounder it would be different. I dont know if his batting (and the options available) would justify that tag.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
Macka said:
Of course you shouldn't go into a match with an all pace attack - I never suggested that. Vettori needs a good kick up the ass, he needs to be dropped at some stage so he can go sort his bowling out. That is my opinion. However him doing well against Bangladesh will *hopefully* give him some confidence because realistically Bracewell and co. won't drop him.

if hes the best spin bowler in NZ, certainly more capable in the batting department than any other test match worthy spinner in NZ, and he shouldnt be replaced by a pace bowler, then i find it hard to understand why he should be dropped in the first place.
and yes you need to take wickets, but you need to take those extra runs too. your top order can do whatever they want, the fact is that an extra batsman(or part time batsman) would always come in handy, especially if hes better than the other bowlers that you have on the sidelines.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Bruce Martin is identical to Vettori..left arm orthodox & a very handy lower order batsman. Infact I believe Martin scored a century for NZ 'A' against Sri Lanka 'A' earlier in the year.

Personally I would prefer NZ to play both Martin & Vettori if they wanted to play 2 spinners.
A couple of months ago I was keen on Martin replacing Vettori, but I feel Vettori is possibly returning to form so i've decided against it.

bryce

International Regular
yeah bruce martin is a bit of a 'hitter' unlike vettori which would make him handy in ODI's(he has a good domestic OD record especially his economy rate) but i don't think it would be the best idea to play 2 left-arm orthodox spinners in ODI's for new zealand, especially on seam friendly tracks.
anyone remember a few years back when bruce martin was very close to making his test debut, 12th man in a test match in australia(cannot remeber which one) after a fantastic debut season being the leading wicket taker in new zealands four-day competition with over 40 wickets at an average of around 17, he slowed down after that but he has picked it up in the last couple of seasons again and may yet fufil his very bright promise he showed early on, but realistically speaking the only time we are likely to see bruce martin in the international stage is if vettori breaks down, which is actually very likely these days.

venx86

Cricket Spectator
Rangana Herath

I see this chap as one of the top class spinners around - Rangana Herath from Sri Lanka. Rafique and Vettori just missed out and Giles well.....against west indies....i'd be licking my fingers mate !! (i also bowl left arm chinaman) :p

Rangana Herath

Kent

State 12th Man
bryce said:
bruce martin bowls way too defensively which is not what you want from a test spinner, he's in the same mould as brooke walker except obviously he bowls a different style, both of them will/would never be effective wicket-takers in the test arena.
Is that from talking to FC cricketers, Bryce?

I find it interesting, because I've never heard that from other people before. Most of the players I talk to rate his ability to spin the ball and use variations. He's certainly not regarded as a new Grant Bradburn.

A wicket every ten overs in the SC last summer doesn't seem too bad, bearing in mind spinners in NZ can often only wrestle the ball out of a medium-pacer's hand once a decent partnership has been established.

For the little it's worth, his SR was 18 balls better than Wiseman managed.

bryce

International Regular
Kent said:
Is that from talking to FC cricketers, Bryce?
No believe it or not i actually have seen him bowl alot, i watch all of the home one day matches on TV or at hamilton and get down to a fair few 4 day games aswell since i live only 20 minutes from the ground, been doing that for a few years now aswell...... no better way to judge bowlers by watching them bowl is there?

Kent said:
I find it interesting, because I've never heard that from other people before. Most of the players I talk to rate his ability to spin the ball and use variations. He's certainly not regarded as a new Grant Bradburn.

A wicket every ten overs in the SC last summer doesn't seem too bad, bearing in mind spinners in NZ can often only wrestle the ball out of a medium-pacer's hand once a decent partnership has been established.

For the little it's worth, his SR was 18 balls better than Wiseman managed.
yeah he is effective in the SC against New Zealand domestic batsman but i do not think he would be able to cut it at test level, i would like to be proved wrong.... no arguing that he is a better bowler than paul wiseman.

ashwat_cf

Cricket Spectator
2 many left arm spinners coming into cricket nowadays

I think Herath is at the top along with Kartik when it comes to the left arm orthodox guys. not to count out vettori, since he is unleashing his talents against mighty Bangladesh :p

IT has to be Bradd Hogg among the left arm chinamen guys. He is way too gud with quite a no of variations in his repertoire.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
ashwat_cf said:
2 many left arm spinners coming into cricket nowadays

I think Herath is at the top along with Kartik when it comes to the left arm orthodox guys. not to count out vettori, since he is unleashing his talents against mighty Bangladesh :p

IT has to be Bradd Hogg among the left arm chinamen guys. He is way too gud with quite a no of variations in his repertoire.
He is pretty good really. Would like to see him bowling to left handers.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
ashwat_cf said:
I think Herath is at the top along with Kartik when it comes to the left arm orthodox guys.
Why do you say those 2?

They struggle to make it into a full strength side.

Mingster

State Regular
bryce said:
Have you ever watched Bruce Martin bowl in FC cricket? You must be a fool to label his bowling as "defensive". He's got a great loop and flight on his left-armers, and gets good turn as well. Comparing him to Brooke Walker is stupid, and it just proves yet again you have never seen Martin bowl. Walker bowls much flater, compared to Bruce.

How about you go watch some bowl before criticising them eh? 8-)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Why do you say those 2?

They struggle to make it into a full strength side.
Thats not a criteria for the best spinner (of a particular type) in the world .

If the best left arm spinner in the world was in Australia (Vettori, Giles or whoever you think it is) he may still not make it to the Australian side if they want one spinner and three pacers in their attack.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
SJS said:
Thats not a criteria for the best spinner (of a particular type) in the world .

If the best left arm spinner in the world was in Australia (Vettori, Giles or whoever you think it is) he may still not make it to the Australian side if they want one spinner and three pacers in their attack.
If he was an Australian, that may be the case, however Herath and Kartik aren't!

bryce

International Regular
Mingster said:
Have you ever watched Bruce Martin bowl in FC cricket? You must be a fool to label his bowling as "defensive". He's got a great loop and flight on his left-armers, and gets good turn as well. Comparing him to Brooke Walker is stupid, and it just proves yet again you have never seen Martin bowl. Walker bowls much flater, compared to Bruce.

How about you go watch some bowl before criticising them eh? 8-)
haha first of all i will put money on it i have seen him bowl alot more than your stanky ass.
second i will admit i did word it quite badly..... the point i was trying to make is i do not think he is an attacking enough bowler to be effective at test level, arugue if you like, everyone has their own opinion.....

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
If he was an Australian, that may be the case, however Herath and Kartik aren't!
What ?? Are you serious ? I cant believe Neil that YOU did not undwerstand what I was saying .

Okay, I'll clarify.

We know Karthik is the best left arm spinner in India (normaly this should be enough to get him into the side as per our friends logic). But even if he was the best left arm spinner in the world, India would not take him in the playing eleven if they wanted only two spinners and they rated Harbhajan and Kumble as better spinners (not better left arm spinners) than Karthik.

To be the best left arm spinner is not a guarantee to being selected because a left arm spinner is not a must or a tatutaory requirement or something !!!

bryce

International Regular
thats exactly right, just beacause they are the best left-arm spinner in the country doesn't mean they are going to play test cricket regularly(if at all), off spinners & leg-spinners(to a lesser extent) are much more common and they may even have a stack of quality pacemen to fill the test bowling births available.