• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the Best Left Arm Spinner in the World?

Who is the Best Left Arm Spinner In The World

• Mohammad Rafique

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Ashley Giles

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • Daniel Vettori

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Ray Price

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Other (Please State)

Votes: 6 9.7%

• Total voters

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
SJS said:
We know Karthik is the best left arm spinner in India (normaly this should be enough to get him into the side as per our friends logic). But even if he was the best left arm spinner in the world, India would not take him in the playing eleven if they wanted only two spinners and they rated Harbhajan and Kumble as better spinners (not better left arm spinners) than Karthik.

That would only then show he's the best left arm spinner in India - until he can do it on the World stage, how can you rate him higher than those playing in Tests etc.?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
That would only then show he's the best left arm spinner in India - until he can do it on the World stage, how can you rate him higher than those playing in Tests etc.?
Et tu Marc
:-O

I said if
But even if he was the best left arm spinner in the world, India would not take him in the playing eleven if they wanted only two spinners and they rated Harbhajan and Kumble as better spinners (not better left arm spinners) than Karthik.
I am talking all the time of a hypothetical scenario. It started by someone saying that how can a spinner be the best left arm spinner in the world if he is not a certainity in his own team.

So all I ahve been saying is that the two are mutually exclusive. being the best left arm spinner (for anyone) does not guarantee his being selected in the country's team.

haah. I am tired.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
SJS said:
What ?? Are you serious ? I cant believe Neil that YOU did not undwerstand what I was saying .

Okay, I'll clarify.

We know Karthik is the best left arm spinner in India (normaly this should be enough to get him into the side as per our friends logic). But even if he was the best left arm spinner in the world, India would not take him in the playing eleven if they wanted only two spinners and they rated Harbhajan and Kumble as better spinners (not better left arm spinners) than Karthik.

To be the best left arm spinner is not a guarantee to being selected because a left arm spinner is not a must or a tatutaory requirement or something !!!
I understood what you're saying, but with the traditional balances of the sides (especially with the amount of average spinners Sri Lanka have played of late), I was aiming at the fact that if the player was substantially better than Vettori, Giles, Price and Rafique then they'd be playing regularly ahead of Lokuarachchi and Harbhajan.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
me.

but if we're talking about test cricket *sigh* then i can only say vettori, simply because he's the only one who i've seen enough of to judge properly.

but after looking at statistics, it seems that michael clarke wins hands down :D

cric_manic

First Class Debutant
Vettori is clearly th best-TESTS
(including 18/11/2004)
M I NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50 Ct St
Batting &Field 58 83 13 1403 137* 20.04 48.51 1 7 28 0

O M R W Ave BBI 5 10 SR Econ
Bowling 2410 625 6405 182 35.19 7-87 10 2 79.4 2.65

cric_manic

First Class Debutant
a massive zebra said:
Vettori has been a liability against every side except Bangladesh for the last couple of years ..
no he hasnt been a liability,sure he hasnt taken many wickets but he has still been pretty tidy and hasnt gone for a huge amount of runs.he has also been pretty good with the bat

but sure he hasnt been his normal self in the past year or so but to say he has been a liability is a bit strong