• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the Best Left Arm Spinner in the World?

Who is the Best Left Arm Spinner In The World

• Mohammad Rafique

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Ashley Giles

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • Daniel Vettori

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Ray Price

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Other (Please State)

Votes: 6 9.7%

• Total voters

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
shaka said:
spinners can last to their 40's, so it is plenty of time for him to lower his average.
So can batsmen, but seldom performing at a level worthy of consistent Test selection.

shaka

International Regular
You do get some spinners who still perform even though they are close to retirement from all cricket, take a look at Carl Hooper who is still a contender for many wickets in England. Based on current form, one would have to say that Ashley is the best left arm spinner, but may change to Vettori if he does well against Australia.

Mingster

State Regular
Vettori is definitely not the worst on that list, had it not for his injuries etc, his average and his career number of wickets would be better.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Let's not make excuses for Vettori, because at times over the last 3 years he has not played well when he has really been required to.

The fact is..within his first 3 & a half years of test cricket he took 100 wickets..the next 4 years he has taken only 58.
Something went horribly wrong. I think he is too good a talent to be written off. He's only 25 & I think with added responsibility as a senior player these days..he'll deliver sooner rather than later.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
He is very frustrating. What is more annoying is NZ's media not seeing Vettori's recent performaces for what they were. He is often referred to as a 'match winner' and Fleming brings him on in situations that you would expect a match winner to bowl, but he rarely delivers.

He should of been dropped by now, he was living on reputation alone before the last test. What is more frustrating is Vettori being groomed as the next captain, which pretty much guarantees his place in the team.

Him performing against Bangladesh is all good and well. However if he goes back to his recent form against Australia and Sri Lanka (let's face it - he'll be picked even if he bowls poorly against the Aussies), he *has* to be dropped. He's obviously not injured since he is playing, and he changed his action a long time ago. There are just no excuses for him anymore.

bryce

International Regular
well they obviously always want to play a spinner and they see him as the best spinner in the country(not many people think otherwise) so yeah your right they will continue to play him regardless of whether he performs or not.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Playing a spinner for the sake of it is not good enough. Variety is nothing if there is not much quality in it. I think Vettori has not been the same bowler since he changed his action. He has become more of a stock bowler than a wicket taker.

Craig

World Traveller
SJS said:
I saw Sri Lanka's Herath today bowling against pakistan. He doesnt seem bad at all. Surely good enough to be included in the short list ?
I'm surprised at the lack of times he has played for Sri Lanka.

BTW what ever happened to ex- Australian left arm finger spinner Brad Young?

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
I know we never say never (look at the way Giles' numbers fell this summer), but with so many wickets behind him, he'll need to get incredible figures for a number of years to get it down to 32!
I would tend to agree.

If he can get it to around 34 then that will be great within the next six months or so IMO.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
Let's not make excuses for Vettori, because at times over the last 3 years he has not played well when he has really been required to.
For a long time it did look like he was only in the team as there was no better option for variety (very much like Giles)

Giles has suddenly become a weapon in his own right, will we now see Vettori do the same?

shaka

International Regular
marc71178 said:
For a long time it did look like he was only in the team as there was no better option for variety (very much like Giles)

Giles has suddenly become a weapon in his own right, will we now see Vettori do the same?

He will follow the same path if he continuously gets 8 wickets in the match, maybe even be better rated than Giles.

Craig

World Traveller
So has Andre gave away cricket or just doing the rounds in Adelaide club cricket.

Or maybe a certain South Australia SM and Mod maybe able to shed some more light when he is around.

tooextracool

International Coach
Macka said:
He is very frustrating. What is more annoying is NZ's media not seeing Vettori's recent performaces for what they were. He is often referred to as a 'match winner' and Fleming brings him on in situations that you would expect a match winner to bowl, but he rarely delivers.

He should of been dropped by now, he was living on reputation alone before the last test. What is more frustrating is Vettori being groomed as the next captain, which pretty much guarantees his place in the team.

Him performing against Bangladesh is all good and well. However if he goes back to his recent form against Australia and Sri Lanka (let's face it - he'll be picked even if he bowls poorly against the Aussies), he *has* to be dropped. He's obviously not injured since he is playing, and he changed his action a long time ago. There are just no excuses for him anymore.
well as someone mentioned above, vettori is apparently the best spinner in the country. add that to the fact that he is developing into a decent batsman suggests that he deserves his place in the squad until they can find a better spinner.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
In my opinion Bruce Martin deserves a go in tests. Saying Vettori is the best spinner in NZ isn't saying much, plus I think Martin could be a lot better, it's just difficult to tell without him getting chances. He is injured at the moment anyway.

We need wickets form Vettori, not runs :)

tooextracool

International Coach
oh it doesnt say much, but it definetly says enough. i wouldnt even think of going in with an all pace attack with the current NZ pacers,especially if a pitch ends up being a turner.
most people who've suggested bruce martin almost already believe that he isnt going to be too much better than vettori, and i think vettori with the bat more than makes up for whatever the difference there maybe between them. of course ive never watched bruce martin bowl so this is just an assumption.

Andre

International Regular
Craig said:
So has Andre gave away cricket or just doing the rounds in Adelaide club cricket.

Or maybe a certain South Australia SM and Mod maybe able to shed some more light when he is around.
From what I've been told, he is just playing grade and still performing quite well.

But he did his ankle at the SCG in 1998 sliding into the fence - didn't play much for Australia after that, then did his knee in the 2001-02 pre-season and came back in an unfit manner. When Wayne Phillips was appointed SA coach he wasn't offered a playing contract for 2003/04 - at this stage from what I can see he is well behind Dan Cullen and John Davison for a first-class berth.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
shaka said:
He will follow the same path if he continuously gets 8 wickets in the match, maybe even be better rated than Giles.
I dont think that Giles was a much different bowler two years ago. He just had a skipper who did not use him as an attacking bowler. If Vaughan used him to "attack" outside the leg stump from over the wicket to right handers, he would appear as the same ineffective bowler that he did under Nasser.

Vettori on the other hand has nothing wrong with his/his captains tactics or line of attack. His problem is more basic. He just doesnt have 'bite' in his bowling and is not going to have it with his grip of the ball as it is at present, which does not allow much 'work' to be imparted to the ball.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Andre said:
From what I've been told, he is just playing grade and still performing quite well.

But he did his ankle at the SCG in 1998 sliding into the fence - didn't play much for Australia after that, then did his knee in the 2001-02 pre-season and came back in an unfit manner. When Wayne Phillips was appointed SA coach he wasn't offered a playing contract for 2003/04 - at this stage from what I can see he is well behind Dan Cullen and John Davison for a first-class berth.
Didn't he come in for cover in the '97 Ashes series as well, as a matter of convenience?

I assume that his non-selection is also because he's not quite what his surname implies.