• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who faced easiest bowling attacks and conditions?

Who among these faced easiest bowling attacks and batting conditions?

• Total voters

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Taking a leaf from a discussion in another thread, I thought I will put up this poll. I am naming following 5 batsmen that span more than last 100 years between them:

Jack Hobbs
Don Bradman
Garry Sobers
Viv Richards
Sachin Tendulkar

By no means, am I suggesting that these 5 have to be the best 5 of all time, but they are an easy choice because they form a near continuum with minimal overlaps; one starts his test career when his predecessor ends his. I want to know, if we were to normalize their batting averages, who do you think will get his average knocked down by maximum %? Exactly how much is a matter of speculation but let's see who CW thinks had it easiest among these. Consider both the general playing conditions in their days, and the specific oppositions they played against (Viv never faced Marshall, Bradman never faced O'Reilly, Hobbs never faced Barnes etc).

PLEASE NOTE: Don't knock me down for having an agenda. I am not out to prove Tendulkar is better than Bradman; I don't consider Tednulkar even the second best batsman and don't usually pick him in my AT world XI, so that's out of question (if you have followed my posts in past, you'd know it). This is a very genuine question and I am hoping for some healthy discussion. *fingers crossed*

Last edited:

salman85

International Debutant
I picked Tendulkar to piss you off,and then i read the OP :D

On a serious note,i'd say Bradman had the easiest time of the lot.Yeah,sue me cricket world.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
i picked tendulkar to piss you off,and then i read the op :d
LOL

My poll question should read - "Who among these faced easiest bowling attacks and batting conditions?" Any mod to edit?

Last edited:

BlazeDragon

Banned
Say what you want about attacks but if there is on thing Bradman did not face its easy conditions. The era he batted on was nothing but a bowler friendly era.

salman85

International Debutant
Did bowlers wear scary masks and have tear gas coming out of the balls as they were delivered?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I imagine Bradman would take the biggest hit, and would thus go from being 45 points ahead of the rest of them to merely 40 points better.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The stats I just did in the other thread tend to suggest it was Richards. The attacks the others faced on average all stack up pretty close.

Sobers - 34.79
Hobbs - 35.04
Tendulkar - 35.32
Bradman - 36.16
Richards - 39.29

I really cbf explaining how I got those figures, and they're probably not exactly what you think they are, but the timing of this made me post it anyway. All in all it's a pretty useless post. :p

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Say what you want about attacks but if there is on thing Bradman did not face its easy conditions. The era he batted on was nothing but a bowler friendly era.
Nah. Bradman and his contemporaries probably faced the easiest batting conditions there's ever been.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah. Bradman and his contemporaries probably faced the easiest batting conditions there's ever been.
I'd argue that a lot of the past decade would give it a run for its money, but yeah - for the most part, bat pretty clearly dominated ball in the '20s and '30s.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
There's not much in it between them. Certainly not enough to take off 20-30% of a certain batsman's average off ;)

Last edited:

BlazeDragon

Banned
Forget that. I just took a closer look at the stats. Australia and England had very good batting stats. The other teams were bringing the overall average down. But they were all minnows back then from what it looks like.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Tendulkar is facing pretty mediocre bowling on batting wickets at the moment. However during his career in the 90's he was facing some of the toughest bowling in better bowling friendly wickets.

Therefore Tendulkar's career must be split up into the different parts.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Bradman faced some pretty good bowlers. Their Test averages were perhaps a bit dented by playing so much against him and the rest of the outstanding Aussie batting of the era, but Larwood, Voce, Verity, Tate, Wright, Bedser and Farnes were pretty useful.