• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who could you play for?

cpr

International Coach
England through birth, Ireland through grandparents.

Brother in law would be a good one. English born, Irish father, Indian (maternal) Grandmother. If he was born 10 years later he'd probably have a shot at getting a cap for India (IIRC he has played in the Conference before work commitments took over, nowadays much more money at that level to keep an interest. Dropped from Semi Pro to amateur around about 24-25)

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
Just New Zealand for me altohugh one of my classmates at college has said that under Football's eligibility rules he would be eligible for New Zealand, Greece, Romania, Scotland, Moldova and one other European country which I've forgoten.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just Ireland for me. In fact, if it was split into North and South I'd still only be eligible for Northern Ireland (FIFA's dodgy ruling on the topic notwithstanding).

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Just New Zealand for me altohugh one of my classmates at college has said that under Football's eligibility rules he would be eligible for New Zealand, Greece, Romania, Scotland, Moldova and one other European country which I've forgoten.
What a guy.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What's the dodgy ruling?
It was to do with Darron Gibson, a Northern Irish Catholic, who played for the Republic despite having no parentage and not ever having lived there. The North complained that this was breaking international rules but FIFA decided that Ireland is a special case because the Good Friday agreement specifies that anyone born in the North can gain Irish citizenship if they so choose.

Despite supporting both teams (fairly equally itbt) i didn't agree with the ruling. I have English citizenship as part of the UK but certainly shouldn't be allowed to play for them. Nor should every Jew be allowed to play for Israel despite having no connections to the place simply because Israel are happy to have them. If we're even going to bother having a Northern Ireland and an Eire football team the players of both sides shouldn't be interchangeable because it degrades the entire idea of countries playing against each other.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ah yeah it is a strange ruling then. It's not like someone born and raised in Wales to Welsh parents would be allowed to play for England, and England and Wales are legally one entity in all reality.

that being said, apparently Matt Le Tissier could have played for any of the four UK teams as well as France, not sure on how reliable what I'm saying is, I read it about ten years ago

BoyBrumby

Englishman
that being said, apparently Matt Le Tissier could have played for any of the four UK teams as well as France, not sure on how reliable what I'm saying is, I read it about ten years ago
Yeah, it's true. The Channel Islands (& The Isle of Man) are British crown dependencies but not part of any of the four constituent nations, so any player can chose between because they're British citizens not born in the UK.

It's been used as a loophole in rugby, actually. Budge Pountney was born and raised in England to English parents, but because one of his grandmothers was born in the Channel Islands he could chose and so played for Scotland despite not a drop of Scottish blood.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In 2000 the Cayman Islands tried to recruit a ton of 1st division (championship) players on a similar basis. Remember they called up wayne Allison but he turned it down to play for the whites instead (WAG!). Some travelled though, Ged Brannan who started with us was one of them IIRC but FIFA pulled the plug on it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
In 2000 the Cayman Islands tried to recruit a ton of 1st division (championship) players on a similar basis. Remember they called up wayne Allison but he turned it down to play for the whites instead (WAG!). Some travelled though, Ged Brannan who started with us was one of them IIRC but FIFA pulled the plug on it.
Yeah, that rings a bell now you mention it.

There's a ruling (or was) that if you're overseas-born, but a British passport holder, you qualify for any of the home nations. Maik Taylor's dad is English (mum German IIRC), but qualifies for Northern Ireland because he was born in Germany.

Think they've tightened it up now tho because there was talk of David Johnson (Ipswich/Forest striker) playing for Scotland (Jamiacan born IIRC), but he couldn't because his birth mother was English so we somehow got first dibs. All very confusing... :wacko:

cpr

International Coach
That Wycombe player pulled out of nowhere to score in the FA Cup, didnt he decide to play for N ire on the grounds no other ****er would have him, or was that just newspaper made up rubbish?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
England, SA and Kenya.. Do they even have a rugby team?
Yeah, their sevens outfit is pretty useful. I've been to Twickers for the Saturday of the English leg of the World 7s tour for the last three years and the Kenyan fans always fill up one corner of the ground and add a lot to the atmos.

Actually beat Australia in 2006, which got the biggest cheer of the day.