• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What should we do with Mitchell Johnson?

What should be done with Mitchell Johnson?

• Total voters

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He broke Smith's hand because of uneven pitches and the fact that Smith was most unfortunate that a blow hit in exactly the wrong place. Batsmen only ever get hit on the hand on uneven decks and most hits on the hand merely result in a bit of pain and some bruising, not a break.

You can't bowl to break a batsman's hand.
Haha, nah. Seriously. If you're quick (135Km/h+) you've got more control over where you hit a batsman with the intent of injuring him than clean bowling him.

I'll grant you the Perth ball was a nasty one to get but the other break was just Midge hitting the seam (for once).

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Upset at the badge of world's best opener being conferred on Smith.
But Smith is the world's best opener at present, averages notwithstanding.

Opening the batting in India is a damn sight easier than opening the batting in South Africa.

EDIT: According to the ICC rankings Gambhir is ranked 1, Smith 9 and Sehwag 19. Of those three I rate Smith the highest, but Gambhir could be said to be the most in form.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But to do what Johnson did to Smith you have to be an accurate, fast and dangerous bowler
... and have an uneven pitch, and have a hell of a lot conspire against the batsman. The fact that all of this happened proves absolutely nothing about Johnson's ability.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, nah. Seriously. If you're quick (135Km/h+) you've got more control over where you hit a batsman with the intent of injuring him than clean bowling him.

I'll grant you the Perth ball was a nasty one to get but the other break was just Midge hitting the seam (for once).
It takes either a) gross error on the batsman's part (ie, playing consistently too low with the hands) or b) one hell of a lot of luck with uneven decks.

If the pitch is even and the batsman plays sensibly, there's no way a bowler, however quick or accurate, can cause injury. Short of bowling Beamers, which is obviously unacceptable.

Pigeon

Banned
But Smith is the world's best opener at present, averages notwithstanding.

Opening the batting in India is a damn sight easier than opening the batting in South Africa.

EDIT: According to the ICC rankings Gambhir is ranked 1, Smith 9 and Sehwag 19. Of those three I rate Smith the highest, but Gambhir could be said to be the most in form.
Sehwag averages the same in India as he averages outside India. Gambhir has shown he is capable by showing in NZ where traditionally Indian batsmen have faltered.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Sehwag averages the same in India as he averages outside India. Gambhir has shown he is capable by showing in NZ where traditionally Indian batsmen have faltered[/B].
But on wickets which were road like. Those wickets were not your typical imagery of a NZ slow green seamer.

Pigeon

Banned
But on wickets which were road like. Those wickets were not your typical imagery of a NZ slow green seamer.
Aha. The curse of the subcontinental batsmen. If they do, they are labelled flat track bullies, if they don't then they are home bullies.

By that logic, Micheal Clarke or Hussey are not even near world class, as they have prospered mightily only on flat tracks in their backyards.

A test is a test in my opinion. Considering it was his first major away tour from the subcontinent, Gambhir really prospered.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Personally not really surprised that Gambhir is so highly ranked. What a brilliant find he has been for India. Terrific player.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Aha. The curse of the subcontinental batsmen. If they do, they are labelled flat track bullies, if they don't then they are home bullies.

By that logic, Micheal Clarke or Hussey are not even near world class, as they have prospered mightily only on flat tracks in their backyards.

A test is a test in my opinion. Considering it was his first major away tour from the subcontinent, Gambhir really prospered.
You can't just say "Gambhir proved himself in New Zealand where traditionally Indian batsmen have faltered" when he didn't face the main reason why Indian batsmen have faltered there.

The biggest test for a subcontinental batsman, historically, has always been the green seamer (traditionally found in England, New Zealand and South Africa - obviously much less so at the current time). Gambhir has done all that could be asked of him of late, but he's yet to face that particular test.

Clarke has indeed had a fair few comments aimed his way that most of his success since coming back in 2006/07 has been at home. Hussey too has prospered mainly on flat decks.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gambhir does look to me like he can handle it, from what I've seen of him in ODIs. But he certainly hasn't yet proven that he can.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
If the pitch is even and the batsman plays sensibly, there's no way a bowler, however quick or accurate, can cause injury. Short of bowling Beamers, which is obviously unacceptable.
Not true, again. I've been pinged in the head by quick bowlers on even decks, hit in the ribs, on the hand, you name it, and I'm sure it'll happen many more times. Sometimes you just get a delivery in an awkward area or you simply misjudge the height of it. Doesn't have to be an uneven deck.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Are you a top-class batsman? I've tended to have the impression you were a bowler.

Obviously lesser batsmen are going to make misjudgements even against deliveries which behave as they should.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Are you a top-class batsman? I've tended to have the impression you were a bowler.

Obviously lesser batsmen are going to make misjudgements even against deliveries which behave as they should.
Bowler-who-cat-bat-***-batting-allrounder apparently.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
:huh: What's one of those then?
Someone who starts off as a bowler you can bat a bit, then develops his batting to a point where he becomes a batting allrounder.

Like err.. Scott Styris. But younger, and without losing so much of the bowling. :p