• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is your ranking of all Country's ATG XIs?

bagapath

International Captain
Lillee McGrath Lindwall Miller = Steyn Donald Pollock Kallis = Marshall Ambrose Garner Sobers = Trueman Anderson Barnes Botham = Imran Akram Waqar Shoaib

Warne > Laker > Tayfield > Gibbs > Qadir

in my books
Australia > SA > Wi > Eng > Pak

dont know if i am subconsciously giving more weightage to the relative bowling strengths with the spinner playing the decisive role

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lillee McGrath Lindwall Miller = Steyn Donald Pollock Kallis = Marshall Ambrose Garner Sobers = Trueman Anderson Barnes Botham = Imran Akram Waqar Shoaib
I don't think these are of similar strength at all

Kallis isn't even close to most of these as a bowler

shortpitched713

International Captain
Steyn-Donald-Pollock is gas though. Honestly I can't even necessarily pick the WI attack over it. Which is why I think WI in an ATG setting should play to their strength, just put Holding in there as well and blast some ****s with a pace quartet.

TheJediBrah

Steyn-Donald-Pollock is gas though. Honestly I can't even necessarily pick the WI attack over it. Which is why I think WI in an ATG setting should play to their strength, just put Holding in there as well and blast some ****s with a pace quartet.
They're all gas haha but the others have 4 whereas that SA only has 3

Surely the WI attack should be 4 quicks + sobers

subshakerz

International Coach

Warne > Laker > Tayfield > Gibbs > Qadir

in ny books
Australia > SA > Wi > Eng > Pak

dont know if i am subconsciously giving mote wrightage to the relative bowling strengths with the spinner playing the decisive role
Australia has the best with a 4-man pace attack, all worldclass bowlers, plus the best spinner.

Pakistan are next but I would put Saqlain as spinner instead of Qadir. They have a deadly 4-man pace attack which gives them an edge. In fact, I can imagine Imran as captain using Shoaib and Waqar in short bursts which would be very deadly.

WI is next. Sobers is a weak link but Marshall & Ambrose are top drawer and the difference between Gibbs and Tayfield doesnt make up the difference in pacers.

SA surprisingly are fourth as Kallis is a weak link.

England has the weakest pace attack because it is hard to judge Barnes and Anderson & Botham are below ATG quality.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
Marshall and Ambrose are amped up versions of Steyn and Pollock while Garner is roughly the same level as Donald.

subshakerz

International Coach
I think the power of a 4-man high quality pace attack to relentlessly destroy any opposition shouldnt be underestimated. 80% of the time you dont need a spinner frankly.

Pakistan and Australia are the only teams that can accommodate 4 worldclass pacers in their regular lineups without sacrificing a spinner.

Lillee/McGrath/Lindwall/Miller and Imran/Wasim/Waqar/Shoaib.

Kallis and Botham aren't quite up there.

subshakerz

International Coach
Botham and arguably Miller shouldn't really be in their countries' AT sides anyway I think
Well, Australia have Bradman and Gilly so they can afford a Miller in their top six.

Botham not so sure but I dont think he weakens their batting significantly with Hutton, Hobbs and Hammond already there.

ataraxia

International Coach
excluding those pre-Barnes, I have:

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Hutton
Hammond
Compton
Barrington/Root
Knott
Verity/Rhodes
Trueman
Barnes
Anderson
Simpson
Lawry
Bradman
Smith
Ponting
Border
Gilchrist
Davidson
Lindwall
O'Reilly/Warne/Grum
McGrath

both sides have enough bowling to suffice, I think

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Rather than go through the exercise of selecting an all-time ATG for each country, what would be your ranking of team's ATG XIs based on all-round strength? Of course, it depends on where they play, so someplace neutral like WI with a bit to offer for everyone.

Mine would be:
1)Australia - The Bradman factor plus the most balanced bowling attack
2) West Indies - Likely the strongest batting lineup after Australia and best pace attack overall
3) England - Hard to call, but depends on how to rank Barnes but very strong batting unit
4) South Africa - So many all-rounders and batting very deep
5) Pakistan - The pace attacks gives them the edge over other SC teams
6) India - A lot of batting strength but not a lot in the bowling dept to win matches except in SC
7) NZ - Hadlee and Bond will be a tough combo
8) SL - Great batting but a lot depends on Murali to deliver
Agree with this order tbh.

subshakerz

International Coach

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Hutton
Hammond
Compton
Barrington/Root
Knott
Verity/Rhodes
Trueman
Barnes
Anderson
Simpson
Lawry
Bradman
Smith
Ponting
Border
Gilchrist
Davidson
Lindwall
O'Reilly/Warne/Grum
McGrath

No Lillee?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
SA lacks a truly alpha batsman. There's Graeme Pollock but he comes with an obvious caveat. An all time XI needs at least one bloke who unquestionably radiates big dick stamp your authority energy. That's the entire West Indian middle order. Australia has Bradman and Gilchrist who exceed any other team between them.
Barry Richards is that guy

bagapath

International Captain
Anyway I would have thought Kallis would be the 5th bowler in an SA XI, not the 4th
kallis sobers miller botham are all fifth bowling options, even if they bowl second change at times.

just bunched them with pacers to single out the spinners from the attack.

Burgey

kallis sobers miller botham are all fifth bowling options, even if they bowl second change at times.

just bunched them with pacers to single out the spinners from the attack.
Sobers particularly handy as he's the 5th, 6th and 7th bowling option all in one.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Also Kallis is in same league as Headley easily. Pollock in Lara league possibly (Bradman rated Pollock and Sobers as best left handed batsmen of all time and he had seen Lara play). At the very least Headley has the same problem that Pollock has of not playing enough tests.

Burgey

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Hutton
Hammond
Compton
Barrington/Root
Knott
Verity/Rhodes
Trueman
Barnes
Anderson
Simpson
Lawry
Bradman
Smith
Ponting
Border
Gilchrist
Davidson
Lindwall
O'Reilly/Warne/Grum
McGrath

Would probably have Lillee over one of Lindwall or Davo, and imo Warne is a lock if there's only one spinner. Great seeing Bill Lawry getting some love here. Bloke is a genuinely underrated player.