• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is your ranking of all Country's ATG XIs?

srbhkshk

International Captain
In a neutral territory, Pakistan win easily. In SC, its closer, since India have better spin bowlers but Pakistan are great players of spin.
The main point of difference between India and Pakistan in SC will be Sehwag, he can murder any type of bowling on these pitches and open up avenues for wins in matches which would have been draws otherwise.

Gob

International Coach
Amla has no business being near an ATG team, unless its Zim or something.

Nourse is a much better bat. Faulkner probably comparable, and adds variety even if not that good a bowler... 2 spinners are enough, but 2 offspinners are likely to fail at the same time, so adding a leggie would help.
He was great for a while wasn't he. Scored a mountain of runs and won his team a series in England and barely six months later, Scored another mountain of runs and won his team a series in Australia. Not many people do that

Imo he is a better test bat than DeVilliers

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmm....

IndiaPakistan
GavaskarHanif
SehwagAnwar
DravidYounis
SachinMiandad
Jadeja*Inzi
PantRizwan
DevImran*
AshwinWasim
KumbleShoaib
BumrahSaqlain
ShamiWaqar

Looks pretty simple to me. India have by far the better captain and more IPL experience so they win this.
I will have Kohli for Kumble. India wins in batting while Pakistan wins in bowling. Pretty equal teams.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
He was great for a while wasn't he. Scored a mountain of runs and won his team a series in England and barely six months later, Scored another mountain of runs and won his team a series in Australia. Not many people do that

Imo he is a better test bat than DeVilliers
Ya, he was awesome in that period. I go for careers not peaks when assessing players though, and if you go for peaks Im not sure his was long enough. We all thought he was. better than ABat that stage, but AB just kept getting better and he declined.

subshakerz

International Coach
The main point of difference between India and Pakistan in SC will be Sehwag, he can murder any type of bowling on these pitches and open up avenues for wins in matches which would have been draws otherwise.
Sehwag is great but he alone can't win you matches. In fact, him vs Wasim with the new ball will likely be a 50/50 contest and one I would pay to watch.

Once the ball gets to reverse though, Imran, Wasim and Waqar all bowling at 90 mph will be a nightmare and I can easily see India's late order folding quickly innings after innings.

On Pakistan's side, Anwar, Inzi, Javed, and Younis are all elite players of spin. Unless the pitch is a spinning mamba which heavily favors India, I see Pakistan winning a 5 match SC series 2-1.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
In a neutral territory, Pakistan win easily. In SC, its closer, since India have better spin bowlers but Pakistan are great players of spin.
India wins in Australia imo. Pakistan in Eng and NZ. WI and SA, I don't know. Not fully sure about sub continent as well.

subshakerz

International Coach
India wins in Australia imo. Pakistan in Eng and NZ. WI and SA, I don't know. Not fully sure about sub continent as well.
Pakistan would win in SA and WI too as they can still support pace. Australia is a toss up since Indian bowling isnt a huge threat but Indian batting tend to do better there.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The middle order options from Kallis, G Pollock, Dudley Nourse, ABDV and Amla are good as any of the other teams' barring Australia.
Surely west indies' middle order is clearly better than that one? Headley-Lara-Viv-Sobers is arguably as good as Australia's middle order even with the Bradman cheat code. That's 4 batsmen who are generally considered top 10-ish all time.

subshakerz

International Coach
Surely west indies' middle order is clearly better than that one? Headley-Lara-Viv-Sobers is arguably as good as Australia's middle order even with the Bradman cheat code. That's 4 batsmen who are generally considered top 10-ish all time.
Yeah. I think a battle between Aus and WI, assuming WI is allowed four pacers, is a close one.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Great teams could work around it. Certainly, you want to push the rule to the maximum extent possible, but I don't think they'll have a problem even with their historic over rate issue.

trundler

Yeah. I think a battle between Aus and WI, assuming WI is allowed four pacers, is a close one.
Nah, Gibbs is a pretty ideal foil for the pacers. He's economical and can hold an end. Not to say he wasn't an attacking bowler; he was just limited by his environment and took some big hauls in the first half of his unusually long career. Why the **** is he being treated like Harbhajan or Vettori in this thread? He adds way more to any side than a 4th seamer. A pace bowler going down is a pretty common occurrence. Plus, there's an obvious benefit to having a spinner in your team in case the pitch, y'know, spins. The West Indian attack is pretty OP and well rounded with Gibbs in it.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, Gibbs is a pretty ideal foil for the pacers. He's economical and can hold an end. Not to say he wasn't an attacking bowler; he was just limited by his environment and took some big hauls in the first half of his unusually long career. Why the **** is he being treated like Harbhajan or Vettori in this thread? He adds way more to any side than a 4th seamer. A pace bowler going down is a pretty common occurrence. Plus, there's an obvious benefit to having a spinner in your team in case the pitch, y'know, spins. The West Indian attack is pretty OP and well rounded with Gibbs in it.
Agreed, and I think you also get more from Sobers with the ball when using him as a 4th quick rather than as the sole spinner. So from a pragmatic standpoint I'd have Gibbs in the all time WIndian XI.

But when discussing hypothetical ATG clashes, gotta admit there's more romanticism in imagining the best batsman in history facing off against the WI pace quartet than picturing them batting against Lance Gibbs.

trundler

SA lacks a truly alpha batsman. There's Graeme Pollock but he comes with an obvious caveat. An all time XI needs at least one bloke who unquestionably radiates big dick stamp your authority energy. That's the entire West Indian middle order. Australia has Bradman and Gilchrist who exceed any other team between them.

BazBall21

International Regular
SA lacks a truly alpha batsman. There's Graeme Pollock but he comes with an obvious caveat. An all time XI needs at least one bloke who unquestionably radiates big dick stamp your authority energy. That's the entire West Indian middle order. Australia has Bradman and Gilchrist who exceed any other team between them.
I did have Graeme Pollock in mind for that as the main man batting wise, but yeah understand your point. They have the option of batting very deep due to loads of ARs and have all bases covered. But yeah the 1970-1990 era works against them. Affects the CV of Richards, Pollock and Procter and potentially robbed the likes of Rice and Vincent. Their talent production through history has been amazing.

Johan

U19 12th Man
1. Austrailia
2. West Indies
3. England
4. South Africa
5. Pakistan
6. India
7. Newzealand
8. sri lanka