• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is first choice India fast bowling attack?

_00_deathscar

International Debutant
I'd take Thakur over Saini depending on who the other 2 are especially. More likely to bowl you a match winning spell. Not like Saini doesn't bowl trash either.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Thakur is like Jadeja... Those who are critical can never bring themselves to agree he is actually good. :laugh:

I like the fact that both India and Pak successes in most recent games has shown that FC performances matter. :)

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Think there has to be some kind of reward for the guys who won us the Gabba Test by keeping them in close contention for a spot. Strongly believe you maximize a player's potential by giving him some incentive to keep improving. Sundar's time will inevitably come but Thakur's already 29. Admittedly I didn't think much of him before that game either, but you can't ignore that sort of effort and there's no doubting his will to scrap. The best way forward would be to rotate him with Pandya. Gives us more options, saves Pandya's back, win-win all around.

Shri

Mr. Glass
thakur looks like a guy who is destined to take a 5 for at lords and score a century there without doing anything else of note

Chrish

International Debutant
Thakur averages 16.5 in 63 FC games. I reckon this is the actual reflection of his batting ability; not what we saw at Gabba. It probably was one time wonder kinda thing.

_00_deathscar

International Debutant
Thakur averages 16.5 in 63 FC games. I reckon this is the actual reflection of his batting ability; not what we saw at Gabba. It probably was one time wonder kinda thing.
Based on what we saw at the Gabba, looks to be the other way around. Has anyone seen him in FC? There is no way the guy can bat like that and only averages 16 in FC games without giving a **** or something.

It's the technique etc more than anything else - it wasn't like he hacked his way to his score or got incredibly lucky.

Flem274*

123/5
no im with chrish, i think he played his innings of his life at the gabba

and i don't understand how you can look at thakur and saini bowl and choose thakur

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Both bowled a fair bit of trash tbh. At least Thakur moves the ball in the air though while Saini is gun barrel straight, doesn’t bowl a wicket taking length and is not very accurate.

Thakur’s also more of a scrappy angry little man as well so maybe he can get wickets through sheer willpower.

That and the batting makes it fairly straightforward for me.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Both bowled a fair bit of trash tbh. At least Thakur moves the ball in the air though while Saini is gun barrel straight, doesn’t bowl a wicket taking length and is not very accurate.

Thakur’s also more of a scrappy angry little man as well so maybe he can get wickets through sheer willpower.

That and the batting makes it fairly straightforward for me.
Thakur bowls bad balls looking to bowl the magic ball but otherwise he gets the ball to move both ways (swing as well as seam) at 135-140 kph. Saini just bowls gun barrel straight at 140-145 kph and its really not quick enough for one to be doing that. Saini may well improve and B Arun has worked wonders with others whom I thought were similar, esp. Umesh so you never know.

OverratedSanity

Agree with all this but I think its probably a bit harsh on Saini sinne he was unfit for the majority of the time we saw him.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Both him and Natarajan will always be in the mix by virtue of playing the white ball cricket for India, I feel.

Daemon

Saini can move it just wasn't in good rhythm this Aus tour

Dunnow if he's still in the mix anymore
I haven't seen him get any swing in LO cricket, the warm up games as well as the Sydney Test (ignoring the Gabba Test because he was injured). You don't need to be in good rhythm to get a hint of movement if it's something you can do regularly.

Like hb says this may yet change with proper guidance ofc. Ishant didn't learn to swing the ball effectively till pretty late.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I haven't seen him get any swing in LO cricket, the warm up games as well as the Sydney Test (ignoring the Gabba Test because he was injured). You don't need to be in good rhythm to get a hint of movement if it's something you can do regularly.

Like hb says this may yet change with proper guidance ofc. Ishant didn't learn to swing the ball effectively till pretty late.
I remember seeing Ishant bowl big hooping inswingers in his second Test, way back in 2007. I think a lot of his issues stemmed from his desire to bowl outswing as well, which messed with his natural wrist position enough to make him lose his swing entirely for years.

Daemon

I remember seeing Ishant bowl big hooping inswingers in his second Test, way back in 2007. I think a lot of his issues stemmed from his desire to bowl outswing as well, which messed with his natural wrist position enough to make him lose his swing entirely for years.
Haha yeah, that's why I put in the word 'effectively'. He admitted to trying to copy Zak and moving the ball both ways around 2010-11 or so which messed him up.

cnerd123

likes this

You can see him get a bit of swing and seam movement here

He doesn't get mad h00p, but he moves it enough to be a threat at his pace. Can get some reverse too. Not sure if this is something he does regularly or if it happens occasionally. I'm sure I've seen him move some in his early India LO appearances as well. This Aus tour is the first time I've seen him be gun barrel straight, but it's also the first time I've seen a significant amount of him bowling in red ball cricket.

Not sure if he's worth persisting with. He's 28 now and pretty low down in the pecking order. Red ball is his strongest format, but there is no Ranji cricket for him to go back and play in till covid is sorted either.