• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies vs Pakistan in UAE 2016

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
68 spectators for the first day aye. How about that D/N test cricket....
D/N Test matches are still a good idea in places like Australia or England especially when you're playing on weekdays. In UAE it doesn't really make much of a difference. From my experiences, the Pakistani workers I met there work day and night. A lot of them are taxi drivers, waiters, construction workers and these jobs have 24/7 requirement.
That being said, I do expect to see larger crowds on Thursday and Friday nights. But at the end of the day, it's test cricket and will never attract the same numbers as T20s or ODIs among subcontinent fans. This was done more to give Pakistan some experience before their D/N match in Australia this summer.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Crowd numbers are ultimately not very important anyway.; i's all about the TV ratings. If significantly more people are watching on TV during day/night Tests then it's worth trying to get them right, regardless of crowds.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I have seen them do that during the 2014 Australia and New Zealand series where they just let in people for free which is a great idea. Not sure if they are still doing it. But the other problem is that the Dubai stadium is quite far from the City and Dubai does not have the greatest public transport infrastructure and peak time traffic from 5 pm onwards can get quite crazy. If I was a day labourer in Dubai and traveling to the ground was a hassle, I would probably not bother with it.

Howsie

International Captain
Crowd numbers are ultimately not very important anyway.; i's all about the TV ratings. If significantly more people are watching on TV during day/night Tests then it's worth trying to get them right, regardless of crowds.
True, but I've heard enough from plenty of different people that they would like to bring in bigger crowds by playing games later on during the day.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
There was something delightful about watching the impatient and fidgety Babar Azam before tea.. you could tell how he wanted to score off every ball irrespective of the field placing..he just looked so excited to be playing cricket and so hungry to make his mark there.

smash84

The Tiger King
I am actually looking forward to the NZ and Aus tours now. It will be a good contest if Pak can get some good batting practice there before heading into the tests (from what I recall not a lot of time to prep in those conditions for Pak before the tests start)