• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Welcome to Cricket Web - Cricket Chat

Howe_zat

Audio File
Such a storied history of **** fights and recriminations for that forum. Must have been going more like 20 years, despite the sell off and the great banning. I still have a copy of that really long story thread somewhere. That in itself must be 15 years old.
give us the lore heef we need it

Ali TT

International Debutant
Thanks for the welcome everyone and good to see some familiar folks, even under different monomers

I think C247 got to the point it was like having Christmas day with the facility everyday. We had all been with each other so long and knew how to push everyone's buttons so easy to descend quickly into arguments. I joined after the hoohah at the start, so mythology to me.

Anyone here remember the old BBC TMS boards back in the day?

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's where Cricket24/7 originally sprung from. When the TMS boards closed down, it was originally set up as a lifeboat. At some point (it looks from my e-mails around 2007), the original C24/7 was sold (!), would you believe, to some new guys "NashTax?" who then proceeded to get the hump that the members weren't too happy about rule changes and then he banned most people en masse. A phoenix website (.org instead of .net) was then set up by people who didn't really know much about the technical side (as I recall) and it has limped along since. The "NashTax" version quickly became defunct.

It was a great site for discussing County Cricket, generally. Most members were from the UK, with a smattering of others from around the world who came and went over time.

HeathDavisSpeed

I have found a copy of the story that was team-written by some of the members back in the early 2000s. It is 222 pages of Microsoft Word at font size Arial 8... Bloody hell.

It is largely nonsense, but it was fun at the time.

HeathDavisSpeed

Just so you can see what type of nonsense. Below is Chapter 1. As I recall, it was mostly written by two members called Jon and IGetHighOnLegSpin. But I'm not 100% sure on that. I was only a minor contributor.

Record Thread said:
The Ashington Cycle

Once upon a time, unpredictable Harmy went postal shopping with Tina Turner. Sadly Matthew Hoggard wasn’t available as it was too soon after his unfortunate accident with the Banana Fritter machine which Spilt boiling hot lard that Hoggard had taken from FBK's Secret stash hidden deep in the bowels of the Lard Marketing Board's international distribution centre on the outskirts of Plymouth, where Andrew Strauss had recently set up home with his beautiful Platypus he'd lovingly named Butch, in honour of the man, the legend. Unfortunately, the platypus suffered from a surfeit of Injuries before FBK ate him and stole his place thus allowing him to steal from the Lard Marketing Board under the guise of Michael Howard, the universally popular and not at all salacious Tory leader. Unfortunately for Howard, the Tories' election campaign posters foundered on the fact that they were asking the populace to think about anything other than the upcoming vitally important Ashes series so Mr Howard changed his surname to Vaughan in the hope that people would think he was a half decent potential leader.

Meanwhile Harmy and Tina Turner having finished their shopping were purchasing a scale model of Ashington made of rice and chocolate which FBK would doubtless have eaten had Mike Gatting not taken it up to his bedroom to sacrifice to Inzy, the god of fat

Which takes us back to the mystery of the break in at the Lard Marketing Board. When DCI Myopic, Devon and Cornwall's finest (well, since Wycliffe got transferred to ITV3) anyway took charge of the investigation his initial hypothesis was that FBK, with the assistance of his evil sidekick a man known only as 'The Butler', must have been those what done it. The evidence was simple. All the pies in Plymouth had been eaten before the theft. However the most shocking thing of all was the identity of "The Butler”. a man who seemed to have the world at his feet, a man who could rise to the big occasion, a man who was left handed, and a man who was often accompanied it seemed by a platypus, surely it couldn’t be...

But yes it was. In the most shocking twist so far Rikki Clarke had disguised himself as Andrew Strauss or as the platypus, Myopic wasn't sure which.

During an afternoon off for a visit to the optometrist, inspiration struck Myopic. Or more particularly, he walked into it. Might Butch the Platypus and the small black Hamster in fact be FBK and Rikki Clarke. Their only connection to each other? A shadowy crime syndicate know only as the League of Jones; a group formed with one aim in mind, to defeat their greatest enemies, the Brotherhood of Read...

Both gangs had long since been fighting a brutal turf war over the sausage roll concession on the Plymouth - Roscoff ferry and were now looking to encroach onto David Shepherd's Devonshire cream tea racket, however neither side were quite aware of an all conquering gang who had just come to Plymouth known only as Gilly and the Sunshine Band...

All of them had criminal connections stretching back generations and for many years now had been used to having things their own way but now with advent of the three warring gangs, things were about to get interesting. Not least for Myopic who was becoming increasingly fascinated by Steve Harmison. What had happened to this once strident young man, and why was he so scared of leaving his familiar surroundings unless accompanied by Tina Turner? Could it be that Tina was exerting some kind of unhealthy influence on the man commentators could not stop themselves referring to as "the tall Durham paceman" even though this was now a dreadful cliché.

More than this, Myopic began to realise that Harmison's fortunes and therefore the spirit of the entire country were all resting on him solving the case.

With this in mind he set off for the only person who knew Steve Harmison better then Tina before a mysterious bone spur injury afflicted him. Andrew Flintoff.
FBK perhaps being Fat Bobby Key. If I remember correctly.

Ali TT

International Debutant
That's where Cricket24/7 originally sprung from. When the TMS boards closed down, it was originally set up as a lifeboat. At some point (it looks from my e-mails around 2007), the original C24/7 was sold (!), would you believe, to some new guys "NashTax?" who then proceeded to get the hump that the members weren't too happy about rule changes and then he banned most people en masse. A phoenix website (.org instead of .net) was then set up by people who didn't really know much about the technical side (as I recall) and it has limped along since. The "NashTax" version quickly became defunct.

It was a great site for discussing County Cricket, generally. Most members were from the UK, with a smattering of others from around the world who came and went over time.
Yeah, I joined another board post-BBC, organised by a group who actually met up and played games of cricket against real clubs for charity. I think they called themselves TMS Taverners or something. Then one of the original members fell out with the others and the whole thing went toxic. I joined C247 after that.

Definitely some great county posters, although two of the most knowledgeable, Rob and Kim, sadly left us all too soon

Michelle Fivefer

U19 Cricketer
Recently joined here, England and Sussex fan but love all cricket. A healthy interest in Women's Cricket as I helped coach a local Girl's team - my daughter played County Youth Cricket before packing it in at 17.

Previously posted on Cricket 24/7 but that seems to have disappeared since Christmas, anyone know what's happened to it?
Hi Molehill. I’ve just joined this forum and this is my first post. Cricket 24/7, which I was a member of for years, has sadly died a death, and nobody with the skills to restore it has been found.
As it’s my first post, perhaps I should introduce myself. Not a lifelong cricket lover but kind of discovered it accidentally about 20 years ago and formed a lasting psssion.

Last edited:

Michelle Fivefer

U19 Cricketer
Yeah, I joined another board post-BBC, organised by a group who actually met up and played games of cricket against real clubs for charity. I think they called themselves TMS Taverners or something. Then one of the original members fell out with the others and the whole thing went toxic. I joined C247 after that.

Definitely some great county posters, although two of the most knowledgeable, Rob and Kim, sadly left us all too soon
Hi Ali.
just seen your post right above mine. I’ve just joined. I expect an influx of former 247 members!

Michelle Fivefer

U19 Cricketer
Apologies for not immediately spotting the Welcome sign when I came on the forum. (Got carried away recognising “old friends” from previous site).
Thank you very much for the welcome and I look forward to some great cricket chat.

FBU

International Debutant
I was Sir Coolerking - how about yourself?

A shame, although the number of posters had definitely reduced over the years. The County fans in particular will miss out though. I kind of miss my sparring with Pet and Jock...
Hi Sir Coolerking - I was 1000yardstare

grecian

I am not against people gravitating to here from another forum, unless it's ****ing Cricsim obviously.

Welcome all.:D

FBU

International Debutant
Apologies for not immediately spotting the Welcome sign when I came on the forum. (Got carried away recognising “old friends” from previous site).
Thank you very much for the welcome and I look forward to some great cricket chat.
Hi, should warn you that most people on here don't like Anderson.

Michelle Fivefer

U19 Cricketer
Thanks for the welcome everyone and good to see some familiar folks, even under different monomers

I think C247 got to the point it was like having Christmas day with the facility everyday. We had all been with each other so long and knew how to push everyone's buttons so easy to descend quickly into arguments. I joined after the hoohah at the start, so mythology to me.

Yes, I remember the old BBC board. Can’t really recall how it worked though.
Hi, should warn you that most people on here don't like Anderson.
[/QUOTE]
Thank you. However, it’s hard to understand why.

Molehill

International Captain
This guy Paddles used to edit previous posts to make it look as if he'd said something he hadn't said. Most peculiar when you'd quoted him and the change was obvious for all to see.
Paddles managed to turn me against the entire Kiwi population. I do remember Dan Vettorispin.

That's where I started too. Do you remember the Aussie guy who used to run Fantasy competitions on Test or ODI series? If you won one you were allowed a knighthood to your name, hence how I became Sir Coolerking (mainly thanks to a young Yuvraj!!). I then ended up on the TMS Exiles for years where I think many C247 posters were too (the late great Summer of 77/Rob Cricket Punk as an example). We even played some charity cricket matches on that board. When that died I moved in permanently to C247.

Michelle Fivefer

U19 Cricketer
Just so you can see what type of nonsense. Below is Chapter 1. As I recall, it was mostly written by two members called Jon and IGetHighOnLegSpin. But I'm not 100% sure on that. I was only a minor contributor.

FBK perhaps being Fat Bobby Key. If I remember correctly.
IGetHighonLegSpin, known as IGHOLS, used to be a member on my previous, now defunct forum, Cricket247. But he left a long time ago. Hope he has found success somewhere.