• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Weirdest Bowling action??

Rich2001

International Captain
Rik said:
Only saw one ball he bowled mate, maybe because they are never on TV or I don't have sky :P I saw it on a roundup of CC Cricket on the Ch4 Roadshow...
Ok fair enough.....

Ok then any other Durham fan might be able to explain it :P :D

Bazza

International 12th Man
Chuckers: Murali, Shoaib, Lee, Kirtley, there are probably more I haven't seen. Right now we've got that out of the way lets get back on topic:

I have seen a bit of Killeen - Rich describes his action quite well. He always looks like he's just gonna carry on running, as if he's got his rum-up wrong or something.

Other nominee:

Caddick (what's that loop about anyway?)

Langeveldt

Soutie
yeh caddick's action is different, but when he is on form it looks as fluid as anything.

Remember Ian Austin, at Lancashire. Talk about waddling in! He looked like a Duck.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Devon Malcolm used to fall away so much as he delivered, He looked like he would fall over.

Ashley Cowan at Essex holds the ball with the back of the hand facing the batsman. Im surprised he doesnt bowl backwards!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
hourn said:
for what its worth we are all entitled to an opinion and that is just mine. if you want other people to tell you what to think then that is upto you.

They have computer etc. to analyse him, you have the naked eye - which is more accurate do you think?

hourn said:
but as i said, he goes for 8 an hour so I'm not sure the Aussies are going to be worried.
If he was bowling for the full hour they would be!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
For all his problems in Test Cricket, Flintoff is a fine ODI all-rounder. If I could pick who bowled in the ODI team, I would have Gough and Anderson opening the bowling, Flintoff and Hollioake 1st Change, Snape or Blackwell as the spinner and Vaughan and Collingwood making up the 5th bowler. If Gough doesn't return then Flintoff would open the bowling and Jones would be 1st Change.
Vaughan and Collingwood would be the 6th bowler by that reckoning and what about Giles? Far better bowler than either of those mentioned, and his batting is underrated, but would certainly make a good number 9.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Vaughan and Collingwood would be the 6th bowler by that reckoning and what about Giles? Far better bowler than either of those mentioned, and his batting is underrated, but would certainly make a good number 9.
His batting is underrated? No it's slightly over-rated, he's not really shown that he can bat at International Level yet they expect him to. That is annoying for someone who was averaging around 30 in FC Cricket not long ago.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
His batting is underrated? No it's slightly over-rated, he's not really shown that he can bat at International Level yet they expect him to. That is annoying for someone who was averaging around 30 in FC Cricket not long ago.
On a couple of occasions last summer he began to show his talent, and that IMO reflected in his bowling becoming more threatening.

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
Certainly Paul Adams... Carl Hooper's is very weird, what about Adam Sanford's ?
I quite liked brett Lee action when he first came on, it was more fluent, nowadays it isn't as good, McGrath's action I also think is beautiful, Jaques Kallis's action is simply sublime at times (i like it very much) and dissfunctional at other times.

To clarify, I think Chris Harris applies finger spun leg cutters to the ball mostly...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Gotchya said:
Naah , Qadir's action was a model.
Do you mean his action or his runup? His action in the final delivery of the ball is quite typical of a leg spinner, but his runup certainly isn't. Leg spinners like Warne have a much less weird runup. Only Mushtaq Ahmed has actually copied Qadir's style, so I don't think it has been considered a model.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
What about MacGill? He runs up like a medium-pacer. His run up is rather like Ganguly's and he leans back just before he gets to the crease and slows down before releasing the action. Kinda odd.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
anilramavarma said:
Do you mean his action or his runup? His action in the final delivery of the ball is quite typical of a leg spinner, but his runup certainly isn't. Leg spinners like Warne have a much less weird runup. Only Mushtaq Ahmed has actually copied Qadir's style, so I don't think it has been considered a model.
Was talking about his action, and weird is not a exactly a word you would use to describe his run up. It wasn't really that odd I think.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Gotchya said:
Was talking about his action, and weird is not a exactly a word you would use to describe his run up. It wasn't really that odd I think.
When you compare it to other leg spinners, it was. I guess it is a matter of opinion, but both(Qadir's and Mushtaq's) their runups looked quite comical to me.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
haha..maybe a point of opinion yes. Mushy was a lil comical sometimes with those parallel arms of his.