• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Weirdest Bowling action??

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Rik said:
Errrm...Kirtley doesn't chuck...

Kirtley chucks IMO.

Our club trained at the SCG indoor nets about a month ago and the English team were training a couple of nets down, and he was in the closest net and he definetaly appears to be throwing.

But he goes for about 8 runs an over, so he can stand there and throw baseball style if he's going to do that :P :D

Last edited:

hourn

U19 Cricketer
marc71178 said:
I'd tend to listen to the University Experts and ICC ahead of you!

oooo no i'm heartbroken ;)

for what its worth we are all entitled to an opinion and that is just mine. if you want other people to tell you what to think then that is upto you.

but having been right up close and been able to look closer at someones action than I have to most other players he certainly does appear to be throwing - which was what i thought after watching him on TV, and it was just coincedental that i was given the chance to be so close to him training.

and also for what its worth, I wasn't the only person there who thought he was throwing, or at least appearing to throw, and this included First Graders who thought that, of which some have played First Class cricket.

but as i said, he goes for 8 an hour so I'm not sure the Aussies are going to be worried.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Hourn and Sunil, if you looked at slow motion replays of Kirtley's action you would see that his arm comes over straight but then his elbow hyperextends backwards, which is not classed as throwing. It may be hard to pick when seeing him bowl at full speed in real time, but slow motion takes away any doubt about the legallity of his action.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Rik said:
Hourn and Sunil, if you looked at slow motion replays of Kirtley's action you would see that his arm comes over straight but then his elbow hyperextends backwards, which is not classed as throwing. It may be hard to pick when seeing him bowl at full speed in real time, but slow motion takes away any doubt about the legallity of his action.

haven't seen him in slo mo, but it doesn't really owrry me. he is a solid county cricketer at best, who has got a chance to try and impress due to injuries.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
hourn said:
haven't seen him in slo mo, but it doesn't really owrry me. he is a solid county cricketer at best, who has got a chance to try and impress due to injuries.
So one of our most consistant county bowlers is just a solid county pro while all the Australian youngsters are unlucky because the team is so strong that they can't get into it, but are all International Standard? Just because they are Australian doesn't make them better than everyone else. It's the player, not who he/she plays for.

Well if you see a slo mo replay all will become clear. Kirtley has been a very consistant bowler for years now, taking his wickets at around 23-24 a piece in FC Cricket and around 21 in OD with an econ of around 4 an over, and he bowls well at the "death". The problem is that he's not really had too many chances to bowl at the "death" and he's a skiddy bowler, he doesn't get much bounce. I've not see Anderson bowl due to the lack of Highlights of ODIs over here, what's he like?

Last edited:

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Jimmy Anderson is a much better talent than Kirtley and is probably already a better bowler.

Kirtley has a shocking run up - he looks like his doin a 100 metre sprint and thats got a lot to do with his size. Generates all his pace from his runup, and there isn't really that much pace on him. Not well balanced when he hits the crease because he comes in at such a pace, its hard to keep rythym each ball.

Anderson is a better bowler already. Taller and strong and gets a lot more pace and bounce, and has done much better than Kirtley has over here. He will be a pretty good bowler IMO - don't worry about Kirtley. Keep your eyes on this guy. All you need is another quick to partner him, and i dont think Harmison is the answer. Bowls to short, will get the absolute living crap belted out of him in India (or anywhere on the subcontinent). He'll be the Andy Bichel of English Cricket in the future. In and out of the side, but not good enough to cement a spot in it.

Hoggard is going to be good - probably be a third bowler.

Flintoff struggles.

I liked the look of Simon Jones, and i hope his knee doesn't screw up his whole career. He's probably the most likely to partner Anderson in the future as the opening bowling pair with Hoggard as a third quick. Now that is not to bad, and that quick attack would get you wins against most teams.

However, spinners??? Please don't say Richard Dawson - he can not bowl. He has great heart and the Poms could've learned alot from him this tour, but it will only get you so far.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Anil Kumble has little weird action. I haven't been able to figure the two or three hops that he has at the start of his run up.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
hourn said:
Jimmy Anderson is a much better talent than Kirtley and is probably already a better bowler.

Kirtley has a shocking run up - he looks like his doin a 100 metre sprint and thats got a lot to do with his size. Generates all his pace from his runup, and there isn't really that much pace on him. Not well balanced when he hits the crease because he comes in at such a pace, its hard to keep rythym each ball.

Anderson is a better bowler already. Taller and strong and gets a lot more pace and bounce, and has done much better than Kirtley has over here. He will be a pretty good bowler IMO - don't worry about Kirtley. Keep your eyes on this guy. All you need is another quick to partner him, and i dont think Harmison is the answer. Bowls to short, will get the absolute living crap belted out of him in India (or anywhere on the subcontinent). He'll be the Andy Bichel of English Cricket in the future. In and out of the side, but not good enough to cement a spot in it.

Hoggard is going to be good - probably be a third bowler.

Flintoff struggles.

I liked the look of Simon Jones, and i hope his knee doesn't screw up his whole career. He's probably the most likely to partner Anderson in the future as the opening bowling pair with Hoggard as a third quick. Now that is not to bad, and that quick attack would get you wins against most teams.

However, spinners??? Please don't say Richard Dawson - he can not bowl. He has great heart and the Poms could've learned alot from him this tour, but it will only get you so far.
For all his problems in Test Cricket, Flintoff is a fine ODI all-rounder. If I could pick who bowled in the ODI team, I would have Gough and Anderson opening the bowling, Flintoff and Hollioake 1st Change, Snape or Blackwell as the spinner and Vaughan and Collingwood making up the 5th bowler. If Gough doesn't return then Flintoff would open the bowling and Jones would be 1st Change.

Spinners...I rated Jason Brown of Northants quite highly but he's been appauling for the last 2 years, Graeme Swann has the talent but just doesn't use it, Michael Davies looked a good SLArmer but he got the yips and is now out of a county after being shunned at Essex. All we've got is Giles really. Schofield could be good, but he still needs to improve. Croft...never was International standard and taking your wickets at 40 in the CC is not a good way of getting back into the England team...

Dawson is just not good enough, but the question is...who else has put their hand up? No one.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
vishnureddy said:
Carl Hooper . He jumps back and forward and looks like a dancer.
But is he a patch on Jimmy Adams' 2 hops and a jump? Chris Gayle has possibly the most lazy action I have ever seen. It makes getting out all the more annoying if you get out to someone who doesn't look like he's actually trying.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Rik said:

Dawson is just not good enough, but the question is...who else has put their hand up? No one.

Thats the problem there. Giles is a capable bowler to fill a void, but he's not a match winner.

You don't necesarilly need a match winner as your spinner. Shane Warne comes around once in a lifetime. But you at least need someone who can hold his own.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There was a guy by the name of Meckiff (sp?), not sure though about the name, who had the weirdest action. Before him the no ball rule was for the back foot, but his action was so unusual that his back foot would be just close to the crease, but the front foot and body would be half way down the pitch. This prompted the change of rule.
I think you're thinking of Gordon Rourke. Ian Meckiff was the guy who was ousted because he was thought to chuck.

but having been right up close and been able to look closer at someones action than I have to most other players he certainly does appear to be throwing - which was what i thought after watching him on TV, and it was just coincedental that i was given the chance to be so close to him training.

and also for what its worth, I wasn't the only person there who thought he was throwing, or at least appearing to throw, and this included First Graders who thought that, of which some have played First Class cricket.
Just like Shoaib and Brett Lee, Kirtley's action has been looked at and all of them hyper-extend quite a bit. We all do when we bowl but those guys, and many like them, extend further than usual (Shoaib's is something like 40 degrees THE WRONG WAY) which gives the optical illusion that they are chucking when they have no control over their hyper-extension.

Sure at full speed, he probably appears to throw but if you were to look atthe slow-motion replays of him bowling, you'd see the clear hyper-extension, which isn't chucking under the current rule.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Abdul Qadir and his "clone" Mushtaq Ahmed. Both were exceptional leg spinners and their bowling action was nice, but their runup looked quite comical.

Rich2001

International Captain
One of the weirdest actions I've ever seen was Durham's bowler Neil Killeen.

As he bowls anyone else jumps as they reach the stumps, yet Killeen just keeps running and running and delivers the ball in full stride...

Rik being a part-time Durham fan, might be able to explain it better.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Rich2001 said:
One of the weirdest actions I've ever seen was Durham's bowler Neil Killeen.

As he bowls anyone else jumps as they reach the stumps, yet Killeen just keeps running and running and delivers the ball in full stride...

Rik being a part-time Durham fan, might be able to explain it better.
Only saw one ball he bowled mate, maybe because they are never on TV or I don't have sky :P I saw it on a roundup of CC Cricket on the Ch4 Roadshow...