• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Weirdest Bowling action??

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Mushy's runup was somewhat similar to Qadir and so I would put him as the protege here and call Qadir the main guy as far as the weird runup was concerned.

And yes its a matter of opinion, but I have known a lot of people who thought Qadir's runup to be quite a strange one.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Gotchya said:
haha..maybe a point of opinion yes. Mushy was a lil comical sometimes with those parallel arms of his.
That's one action I've never been able to copy! :lol:

Wazztodd

Cricket Spectator
Allan "froggy" Thompson had the weirdest action I've ever seen. Off the wrong foot, almost airborne as he delivered...very strange.
Lance Cairns and of course, Max Walker had weird actions. Of current day players, as mentioned, Adams is in a class of his own.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Hey good to see you Wazza, so you finally made it here, keep posting. The average age on this site has suddenly gone up by about 10 year I think ;) Just kidding. So had fun watching the Kings tonight ;)

....speaking of bowlers bowling from the worng foot and weird actions...Mike Proctor? Or was that not true, that Proctor bowled with the wrong foot?

I guess Graham Dilley's was also weird, and put so much strain on his back consequently...

sasnoz

Banned
lance cairns and mike procter were freakish bowling off the wrong foot

frank tyson had raw power in his action ugly but pacy

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
And now he's coaching the England Quicks!
When fit, Dilley was probably among the top 2-3 bowlers England has produced over the last 30 or so yrs. His outswinger was literally unplayable, and he had good pace. He was an awesome bowler.

Im not sure if this is a compliment or an insult to the enland bowler's over the years ;) but basically was one heck of a bowler.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
royGilchrist said:
When fit, Dilley was probably among the top 2-3 bowlers England has produced over the last 30 or so yrs. His outswinger was literally unplayable, and he had good pace. He was an awesome bowler.

Im not sure if this is a compliment or an insult to the enland bowler's over the years ;) but basically was one heck of a bowler.
Yeah, Botham, Willis and Dilley were an awesome pace trio at one point.

Wazztodd

Cricket Spectator
Thnx Roy. I've been stuck in Indonesia of all places for a few months, actually doing some work, but now I have all kinds of time on my hands, so you'll doubtless get tired of hearing from me.

Kings = Lay-up drill's while opposition watch. Go Lads!

Agree about Dilley. Great bowler. I thought he had a terrific action, but you could see it was stressful. Very side on and recquiring great flexibility. More flexibility than he could cope with as it turned out.

Proctor generated amazing pace from a very short run-up, and as you say, the wrong foot. He also bowled with a lot of movement in the air, big left arm inswingers. Cairns and Walker used to bowl big inswingers with their weird actions also. Must be something in that. Why a strange action would aid in moving the ball through the air is beyond me, but it seemed to have that effect with these guys. Possibly because their bowling arms were so "vertical" at the point of release? Hmmm....

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Yeah, Botham, Willis and Dilley were an awesome pace trio at one point
Did Willis and Dilley bowl together much? I would have thought that Dilley would have just come in to the side when Willis left. Botham was a good bowler, but he cannot even be classed fat, atleast for 80% of his career.

Kings = Lay-up drill's while opposition watch. Go Lads!
Well I guess you missed the Blazers/Kings game in SacTown ;)

Wazztodd

Cricket Spectator
Did Willis and Dilley bowl together much?
Of the 42 tests Dilley played, Willis was involved in only 11 of them.
Dilley took 34 wickets at 28, in these games, comparable to his career average of just under 30 I think.

The best I saw Dilley bowl was in Australia in '87, a few years after sideshow bob retired.He was unplayable at times. Then Chris broad of all people, gave us a bit of a touch up with the bat and England took the ashes!! Ahhh...dim, dark memories...:)