• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Weird things that you have done when in good touch

Shri

Mr. Glass
there was a semi casual game that we played on some saturdays when i was 14

not many rules but it was slightly more respected than street cricket because we actually played with an cricket ball instead of tennis balls

so anyway, i was a ****ty bat and still am in competitive cricket when i am playing against players who actually have experience and training but for like a couple of months in my life, i middled everything because i was batting everyday after school in the nets with a friend

so anyway, the flick was my best shot to full balls so since this was an informal series of games, i used to go out to bat barefoot with no pad on my left leg, hoping that bowlers would try to hit my toes lol

any quirks that you guys had when you were in form to manipulate bowlers?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I injured my back one Fri night and was in a fair deal of pain. I was gonna pull out of club cricket on the Sat but I turned up. Ended up bowling 1st change and taking 5/12 which is my best ever bowling figures.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Once in high school my class was playing an upper level class in a tapeball matchup. It was played on a strip of concrete (the pitch) that connected the bicycle shed to the cafeteria.

The upper level class had future Guyanese cricketer Gajanand Singh, current(at that time) national youth players Dane Benny and Julian Moore. My older brother was also in that class.

In my class, I was the only one who actually played for a cricket club at the time (same as my brother).

They batted first and amassed a good 150+ in their 10 overs.

In reply, I opened the batting with a guy who was a Kraigg Brathwaite type. I remember standing up to Dane Benny who was bowling fast with the tapeball(he was an off spinner at club level). His first ball made contact with my shin; pain like hell. All of this took place at lunch time. Some of the girls were keenly following the game...because Dane Benny was a handsome mfer. I was near embarrassed. The next ball he pitched it up again and it was perfect to flick. I made good connection and it sailed over the roof of the tallest building in the compound. It was the greatest feeling I felt that week. My shin had a deep red mark the following weeks.

FC79D533-C485-490A-B85F-D306067134FC.jpeg
That big building on the right.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I injured my back one Fri night and was in a fair deal of pain. I was gonna pull out of club cricket on the Sat but I turned up. Ended up bowling 1st change and taking 5/12 which is my best ever bowling figures.
I had a back injury which I knew would prevent me bowling but, as captain of our 2nd XI, I decided to play as a lower order batsman. Coming in at #7 I made 60 before being run out by our 'keeper who was trying to give me the strike. Brought up my 50 with a six over the 'fast' bowler's head.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
I’m an opening bat and in one match they could not get me out.

So they came up with a brilliant strategy. Put their best fielders on deep long-on and long-off.
Then their spinner put in extra flight enticing me to hit for the catch at long.

They think I’m dumb as if I cannot spot the trap. My eyes light up as I love flighted balls.

Down the track I come hitting the ball straight over the bowlers head. Any deviation could be caught.

4, 6, 4, 6, 4, …

At one point, the fielders were arguing with the ump whether it s/b a 4 or a six, while I smirked.

The bowler literally had me in 2 minds. I didn’t know whether to hit him for 4 or 6.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
any quirks that you guys had when you were in form to manipulate bowlers?
I dunno about this but I have definitely paid the price for trying to be too smart as a keeper. In an U17s game, I was keeping and the only other 15 year old apart from me was bowling. The batsman was elder to us and a lot bigger and was simply walking down the track, standing outside the crease in his stance and basically messing up my friend's length. I had this brilliant idea that if he bowls it wider I can stump him as I had crept up 5 paces and could thrown down the stumps from that distance very quickly. Only ended up messing his line too and he was tonked all over the ground. Learned to keep my mouth shut very quickly as it was more important to ensure the bowler's rhythm was not compromised, no matter how brilliant an idea you may have on the field. :)

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Good touch? What's that

Seroiusly though, I had about a month or so where I was landing my leggies pretty well, then my 18th came along, I crocked my ankle that night, and that was the end of that. Never bowled anywhere near that well since.

Not blaming the injury at all, it was fine in about a fortnight, just it interrupeted the one time I had something vaugely resembling some form of rhythm

Himannv

International Coach
'Twas in some school cricket match. I was in the form of my life, playing match-winning knocks for a few games straight and scoring runs quickly as well. I was opening the batting and because I was in top form I decided to try and smash the first ball I faced for 6. I was seeing it pretty well so I connected the way I wanted to, but completely forgot to take much care about the fielder patrolling the boundary in that region. Got caught in the deep and got out first ball. We went on to lose the game pretty badly. The coach was so livid he almost hit me, didn't talk to me for like a month or something, and gave me extra fielding practice because that's always a bitch.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I hit a bloke in the ribs once after noticing his chest guard was riding up. Had actually asked him why he was bothering to wear a chest guard, and it turned out he had been hit in the nets during the week. Mentioned it to our captain, who was bowling at the time, to see if he could get a few in around the ribs, then got him up under the guard in my next spell. It's one of my proudest moments in cricket, due to the difficulty of pulling it off, and came during a season which was probably my best with the ball.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
When I play backyard cricket, you cannot throw stuff at other people. It will result in two runs. These "things" incldue little gumnuts off tree, grass, shoes (yes, shoes) and other things. the rule was brought in at the arrival of the shoe, as it happened I got out, after Sanka threw a shoe at me. He won the innings due to this, with the worst bowler (Matt) still haveing 3 balls to go, off which I neede 1 run.

Well one day, needing 4 runs to rake the lead (and virtaully win) and to reach my double century (dont ask, wierd scoring system), Nick got me out. I was so dissapointed, knowing I had lost.

The next bastman in was David, whos average was only twenty and high score was 104. Yes we actually calculate this. He had no hope of reaching 200, so Nick (the one who got me out) was going to win.

Sanka (the shoe guy) then decided he didnt want Nick to win and threw 4 gumnuts at me! results in 8 runs, winning me the match and giving me my first double centrury. Nick was so dissapointed and annoyed at Sanka that he began yelling and screaming at him.

Since then the throwing rule has changed, as have the scoring system. Well, the thrpowing rule hasnt really cganged, just the scoring system making less attractive. Now bowling is included to your score, subtracting it from a HUGE batting total, sometimes over 300, but most scores end up at about 60. This meaning that if you throw something at someone, they get 10 runs and you have ten runs against your bowling, giving you a lower final score.
And if the outcome of your score has already been decided, the runs go to the next innings.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Hit 3 successive boundaries. Placed them even between fielders which was so satisfying. It was just bunch of school friends playing the game though.

Also, I used to through periods when I just wouldn't get out innings after innings. It all evaporated when I started playing with better players haha.

EDIT: Sorry it was about ****ty things. Nothing comes to my mind except one instance when we were playing unlimited innings game (non limited overs) and I came determined to better the score of guy in opposition who scored 90 something. I nicked the 2nd ball I faced.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
For most of my youth I was a spinner in hardball cricket but bowled accurate little slow mediums with tapeball. Yorkers, bowling to one side of the stumps, essentially being useful due to not bowling extras and getting little bits of wobble/cut/spin.

One year I figured out something in my runup and began bowling heat. Proper pace with some late swing. Became unhittable and played a tournament where I had the best economy rate. The most memorable wicket came against the strongest side in that comp. We had a six and out rule, and my friend was umpiring. He advised me to bowl 3 balls at full pace to this pretty good batter, then bowl a slower ball that he would snack out of ground out of frustration. Worked like a dream. Dot dot dot wicket.

It was too good to last tho. I got a side strain because my action was ****ed up and I wasn't in shape to bowl as much as I was. Struggled to walk for a while, had to bowl slow lobs for the rest of the tournament, and could never find that pace again :(

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Was the final few overs batting first in a one dayer, fast bowler was on and bowled a bouncer. I was actually in decent touch, but as I went to hook, I was obviously a bit slow with the shot because the ball was heading straight between my eyes! I pulled out and ducked, and top edged the ball over the keeper’s head for four.

Bowled was not happy and let out a huge string of expletives in my direction.

Thought to myself, this guy seems like an aggro moron without a brain cell to rub together, he wouldn’t have the imagination to not try and bounce me again.

So as he bowled the next ball i nonchalantly took a step back and ramped him over the keeper’s head for four more.

Swear he blew a gasket after that.