• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wastemen etc

Who the better batsman

• Ajay Jadeja

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Mahmudullah

Votes: 10 83.3%

• Total voters

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Gave vegetarianism a go for a while, more for my girlfriend at the time than anything else. Wasn't terrible, just a bit boring

Flametree

International 12th Man
Yeah but what about chicken. I can live without steak and beef, and even lamb, if absolutely necessary but there's no way I could stop eating chicken. Or ham/bacon when it's on Pizza or in a burger for that matter. I'd be a vegetarian if you're allowed to eat chicken and ham/bacon, and lamb in kebabs and meatlovers pizzas and whatever the meat in burgers is. But I don't think they invented the term for that yet.
I think the term is carnivore.

I did wonder how even CW members could make a thread on Yusuf Pathan last 6 pages...

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
There are other flaws with Jainism tho. Basically there is a flaw with the basic presumptions they make.
'Killing is Bad' - well no, sometimes you need to harvest and hunt to maintain a balanced eco system, its sometimes beneficial to kill in the bigger picture

'Humans should have minimal influence on the Earth' - It's hypocritical - the belief that we must be held to some superior morale standard over every other living creature is built entirely on our ability to influence the Earth. If we weren't capable of this great ability to change the planet, we wouldn't be assuming ourselves as the natural caretakers of it. To then state that we should not do the thing we are so great at doing is akin to asking birds not to fly or fish not to swim. It's dumb. We absolutely should influence the Earth, we should just be better when we do it.

'All living things are made equal and all have a soul, we must kill as little as we can' - Do you really think you're being kind to the poor carrot plants soul by not eating it? That it's got this amazing life that you are cutting short? Wouldn't it be kinder to just kill it and let it's soul pass on to a new, far better existence? Besides, everyone dies. May as well send these plants and animals packing once they're coming to the end of the lifecycle and use their carcasses to nourish those who still live.
Not all living things are considered equal from the perspective of pain that they can perceive. Plants are believed to have lowest ability to feel pain hence vegetarianism. But monks (and some common people) go farther too during festivals: no fresh fruits or vegetables, only pulses, dried fruits etc. In childhood I have gone through 10 day festival period without eating any fruits and vegetables. Don't do it anymore of course.

These flaws don't bother me though. The ones that bother me are casteism (apparently Jains are the pinnacle of purity so can't come in contact with people of lot of other casts) and ***ism (women have to be reborn as men before achieving Moksha in some sects).

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There are other flaws with Jainism tho. Basically there is a flaw with the basic presumptions they make.

'Killing is Bad' - well no, sometimes you need to harvest and hunt to maintain a balanced eco system, its sometimes beneficial to kill in the bigger picture

'Humans should have minimal influence on the Earth' - It's hypocritical - the belief that we must be held to some superior morale standard over every other living creature is built entirely on our ability to influence the Earth. If we weren't capable of this great ability to change the planet, we wouldn't be assuming ourselves as the natural caretakers of it. To then state that we should not do the thing we are so great at doing is akin to asking birds not to fly or fish not to swim. It's dumb. We absolutely should influence the Earth, we should just be better when we do it.

'All living things are made equal and all have a soul, we must kill as little as we can' - Do you really think you're being kind to the poor carrot plants soul by not eating it? That it's got this amazing life that you are cutting short? Wouldn't it be kinder to just kill it and let it's soul pass on to a new, far better existence? Besides, everyone dies. May as well send these plants and animals packing once they're coming to the end of the lifecycle and use their carcasses to nourish those who still live.
Take it to the politics subbie, ****. Have your philosophical discussion there. This thread is, like all of CC, about food.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Not saying this from a religious POV, but there is a difference in the threshold of pain, plants hardly feel anything.

And on a another note, if you go back in time, even slavery was considered ok at one point of time, but was it right? We need to keep evolving, we are at the top of the food chain and can reduce a lot of suffering from our food and lifestyle choices.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Why don't you make a thread on it and I'll participate if I feel so inclined
Hmmm, I think we'd get bored of ***** face pretty quickly tbh.......I am however contemplating starting a thread titled "Shri's daily **** ups".

It can be a place where Shri can post daily on all his little faus pas, things like......."I found a jelly bean stuffed down the back of the couch so I thought I'd see if I could eat it through my nose. I'm posting this from casualty :("

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As everyone values my opinion so highly on this forum because I am in fact its doyen, I can confirm Shri is as nice a bloke as you could meet.

Simple, and a bit of a klutz, but a terrific fella nonetheless.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
As everyone values my opinion so highly on this forum because I am in fact its doyen, I can confirm Shri is as nice a bloke as you could meet.

Simple, and a bit of a klutz, but a terrific fella nonetheless.
You may never be a partner, but you're always a moderator to me Burgey.

This forum needs more binga.

Last edited: