• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wastemen etc

Who the better batsman

• Ajay Jadeja

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Mahmudullah

Votes: 10 83.3%

• Total voters

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, no one can be perfect. But them's the rules and they've got to do their best, I suppose.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Nutcases who feel bad about eating germs when they eat food. And they also feel bad about stepping on beetles and ****. I don't know.
"Groups of ascetics are often seen walking along roads, sweeping the ground before them with a soft cotton brush to make sure they do not step on insects."
Seems too extreme to be too pure.
What about the dust mites on their beds?
"They sleep on bare concrete floors, spend long hours in meditation and read religious texts."

Jain Ascetics Give It All Up for Their Faith - latimes

vcs

You can put all the restrictions you want... but Indians will find a way to make their food taste amazing. :)

Maybe the Jains just did it to give themselves a challenge, like a mathematician trying to prove theorems using a very limited set of axioms.

Daemon

Jains can't eat parts of the plant that would kill it while harvesting iirc. So no underground roots/stems like carrots, garlic, potato, onions etc. It's crazy.

Little do they know that for almost every single grain/vegetable the entire plant is killed anyways.

vcs

I'm sure they do know it. But I don't get this argument. If you are looking for logic and consistency in religion, then it all breaks down anyway. Why let the perfect become the enemy of the good? This was the same argument that the UDRS/VAR opponents put forward when the technology was introduced "Well, it's not going to do a better job than the umpire in this marginal case, so why use it at all"

Burgey

If you're looking to religion for logic and consistency, you're probably looking in the place. No matter which religion it is, they all have their inconsistencies. Same with most if not all secular philosophies I suppose.

Unlike the leftover chicken korma which I had for lunch today, which was consistently ****ing awesome.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Jains can't eat parts of the plant that would kill it while harvesting iirc. So no underground roots/stems like carrots, garlic, potato, onions etc. It's crazy.

Little do they know that for almost every single grain/vegetable the entire plant is killed anyways.
Food is one thing, I know monks who wouldn't use medicines that are tested on animals, even if they have no option but to take those meds to treat a certain health condition(I am sure there is a movie on this topic). On one end I feel its extreme, on the other end its great to see a group of people who truly believe in peace. Animal abuse is a misunderstood topic, people think the butchers just cut the throats of the animals, they are in pain for a few minutes and then its done. But the amount of torture that they have to go through even before they are killed is something no one takes into account.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
I'm sure they do know it. But I don't get this argument. If you are looking for logic and consistency in religion, then it all breaks down anyway. Why let the perfect become the enemy of the good? This was the same argument that the UDRS/VAR opponents put forward when the technology was introduced "Well, it's not going to do a better job than the umpire in this marginal case, so why use it at all"
There are other flaws with Jainism tho. Basically there is a flaw with the basic presumptions they make.

'Killing is Bad' - well no, sometimes you need to harvest and hunt to maintain a balanced eco system, its sometimes beneficial to kill in the bigger picture

'Humans should have minimal influence on the Earth' - It's hypocritical - the belief that we must be held to some superior morale standard over every other living creature is built entirely on our ability to influence the Earth. If we weren't capable of this great ability to change the planet, we wouldn't be assuming ourselves as the natural caretakers of it. To then state that we should not do the thing we are so great at doing is akin to asking birds not to fly or fish not to swim. It's dumb. We absolutely should influence the Earth, we should just be better when we do it.

'All living things are made equal and all have a soul, we must kill as little as we can' - Do you really think you're being kind to the poor carrot plants soul by not eating it? That it's got this amazing life that you are cutting short? Wouldn't it be kinder to just kill it and let it's soul pass on to a new, far better existence? Besides, everyone dies. May as well send these plants and animals packing once they're coming to the end of the lifecycle and use their carcasses to nourish those who still live.

vcs

There are other flaws with Jainism tho. Basically there is a flaw with the basic presumptions they make.

'Killing is Bad' - well no, sometimes you need to harvest and hunt to maintain a balanced eco system, its sometimes beneficial to kill in the bigger picture

'Humans should have minimal influence on the Earth' - It's hypocritical - the belief that we must be held to some superior morale standard over every other living creature is built entirely on our ability to influence the Earth. If we weren't capable of this great ability to change the planet, we wouldn't be assuming ourselves as the natural caretakers of it. To then state that we should not do the thing we are so great at doing is akin to asking birds not to fly or fish not to swim. It's dumb. We absolutely should influence the Earth, we should just be better when we do it.

'All living things are made equal and all have a soul, we must kill as little as we can' - Do you really think you're being kind to the poor carrot plants soul by not eating it? That it's got this amazing life that you are cutting short? Wouldn't it be kinder to just kill it and let it's soul pass on to a new, far better existence? Besides, everyone dies. May as well send these plants and animals packing once they're coming to the end of the lifecycle and use their carcasses to nourish those who still live.
Yeah well, I don't disagree with any of that, I'm an atheist, and don't look at vegetarianism/non-vegetarianism as a moral issue anyway, given how we are happy to kill other creatures for every other comfort besides food.

From a strictly utilitarian and environmental perspective though, vegetarianism is undoubtedly the better choice.

TheJediBrah

Yeah but what about chicken. I can live without steak and beef, and even lamb, if absolutely necessary but there's no way I could stop eating chicken. Or ham/bacon when it's on Pizza or in a burger for that matter. I'd be a vegetarian if you're allowed to eat chicken and ham/bacon, and lamb in kebabs and meatlovers pizzas and whatever the meat in burgers is. But I don't think they invented the term for that yet.

Last edited: