• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vote for Five Cricketers of the 2000s + 2010s

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
McGrath
Gilchrist
Kallis
Smith
Tendulkar

(Warne/Murali the only other challengers tbh, but didn't want to have to pick between the 2, otherwise pretty easy selection)
Honestly I think it's pretty clear that Warne was better in the 90s than Murali and Murali was better in the 00s than Warne.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
The period in question is 20 years and he played eight of them, averaged close to 50 at a crazy strike rate and was a fine keeper with it. If people want to have Sanga in their five for example that's fine, but his batting while he kept was way below Gilchrist's level. Would certainly have no qualms having him in there on batting alone though. His numbers are insane when he wasn't keeping, which only emphasizes how great Gilly's are.
This batting while keeping numbers game doesnt survive cross-examination in the case of AB, who was was as far above Gilchrist while keeping as Gilly was above Sanga.

It is more about the keeping at peak/outside of peak batting years thing, with AB and Sanga being just good until their mid-late 20s.

The fact that Gilchrist kept for much longer contrasted against the others playing for much longer is a much more relevant comparison, along with quality on the field.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This batting while keeping numbers game doesnt survive cross-examination in the case of AB, who was was as far above Gilchrist while keeping as Gilly was above Sanga.

It is more about the keeping at peak/outside of peak batting years thing, with AB and Sanga being just good until their mid-late 20s.

The fact that Gilchrist kept for much longer contrasted against the others playing for much longer is a much more relevant comparison, along with quality on the field.
I think you're reading into that a bit. Burgey wasn't commenting on the concept of "keeping while batting", he was purely comparing Gilchrist and Sangakkara.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
I think you're reading into that a bit. Burgey wasn't commenting on the concept of "keeping while batting", he was purely comparing Gilchrist and Sangakkara.
There really isn't another way to read 'his batting while he kept was way below Gilchrist's level'. I'm pointing out that this reading is as distorted as the AB reading.

Anyway, I think there is room for both of them in the top 5 if looking at tests only, and neither if including ODIs, so its a bit of a moot point in the context of the thread topic.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Tendulkar
Lara
Gilchrist
Ponting
Smith

Tendulkar might have played for the entire last decade of the previous century but he was still a young man at the dawn of the 2000's and not many this century will match his achievements even if you remove the 90's. In fact in 50 years time when personal memories are replaced by stats guru for the voters he'll probably get more votes.

flibbertyjibber

McGrath had a good part of his prime in the '90s and retired in 2007, so I did not consider him. It's just an arbitrary time slice.
So awkward, if it was 90's and 00's the list would be even easier in a way. The crossover hits you and part of the reason for yay or nay is probably certain performances you remember most being before or after the cut off as harsh as it sounds.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Tendulkar might have played for the entire last decade of the previous century but he was still a young man at the dawn of the 2000's and not many this century will match his achievements even if you remove the 90's. In fact in 50 years time when personal memories are replaced by stats guru for the voters he'll probably get more votes.
Wasn't even the highest scoring Indian in the 2000s...(or have the highest average).

cricketsavant

U19 12th Man
So players who have played in the 2000s and 2010s or debuted and then played?

Because if it is for anyone who has had a considerable career in this time then the list of course is:

Ponting
Tendulkar
Murali
Warne
McGrath

That is in no particular order.

Players to have debuted in this century, then I'd go for -

ABD
Amla
Kohli
Younis Khan
Steyn

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
So players who have played in the 2000s and 2010s or debuted and then played?

Because if it is for anyone who has had a considerable career in this time then the list of course is:

Ponting
Tendulkar
Murali
Warne
McGrath

That is in no particular order.

Players to have debuted in this century, then I'd go for -

ABD
Amla
Kohli
Younis Khan
Steyn
Surely Sanga is miles ahead of Amla and Younis Khan.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Keep them coming, guys. Will add up the points and present the top 5 on August 14, an anniversary of Don Bradman's famous final innings duck (and the independence of an unnecessary new country)

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Keep them coming, guys. Will add up the points and present the top 5 on August 14, an anniversary of Don Bradman's famous final innings duck (and the independence of an unnecessary new country)
There's going to be a tally of votes? I'll do it too then.

Muttiah Muralitharan
Kumar Sangakkara
Jacques Kallis
Dale Steyn
Steve Smith

In no particular order. To remove ambiguity about who belongs to which century, I used the rule that those who were active post 2010 only are eligible. Tough to leave out Ponting but who do you drop from this group really.

trundler

Murali
Kallis
Ponting
Gilchrist
McGrath

Can't choose between McGrath and Steyn. Using ODIs as a tiebreaker.

trundler

Would have YK ahead of Sanga ftr. But Smith ahead of both and Kohli too considering ODIs.

vcs

Agree, Sanga is clearly ahead of Younis as a Test batsman IMO.

trundler

Sanga cashed in more against weaker teams. YK was more clutch and more well rounded.

Amla isn't in the conversation

OverratedSanity

Younis was only a better all conditions bat if you simply look at the old "average in country" thing. Sanga was better against all types of bowling.