• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vote for Five Cricketers of the 2000s + 2010s

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Amla's decline was long and painful but he was their best bat while winning series in England, Australia, came within an over of dragging them to victory in India as well. In his prime, he did it everywhere against all types of bowling.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Sanga cashed in more against weaker teams. YK was more clutch and more well rounded.

Amla isn't in the conversation
I don't think YK is more well rounded. Sanga averaged over 40 against everyone but YK failed to do this against South Africa and West Indies. Sure, Sanga cashed in more against the weaker teams, but when you are just as strong against the best sides, cashing in against the weaker sides should be taken as positive, not as a criticism.

OverratedSanity

Sanga barely averaged above 40 against Australia and England, didn't he? A couple of low scores would take it below. I agree he's better but that's a pretty flimsy justification for it.

ma1978

International 12th Man
Tests

1. Sehwag
2..Smith
3. Gilchrist
4. Steyn
5. Murali

One opener, a middle order bat, a WK, a pacer and spinner. And Sehwag was distinctive and era defining

All Cricket

1. De Villiers
2. Kohli
3. Dhoni
4. Mcgrath
5. Murali

trundler

Yeah, Sanga was meh against England and Australia, just as YK was meh against SA and WI. YK was definitely better against spin especially on wearing tracks. I remember he struggled against lateral movement badly on that NZ tour but fixed it afterwards and did better than Sanga in England. Sanga was probably better against fast bowling.

Against top sides there isn't much in the averages and YK actually has a better conversion rate. I may rate him more for the intangibles he brought to an otherwise meh side. He was a real street fighter like Waugh and the main reason why we kept winning in UAE. I don't think Sanga was comfortably better at all.

vcs

Younis was better against spin but Sanga also completely dominated some good spinners like Chuckmal, Shakib etc. His technique was comfortably better than Younis's on fast, bouncy tracks IMO.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
There's going to be a tally of votes? I'll do it too then.

Muttiah Muralitharan
Kumar Sangakkara
Jacques Kallis
Dale Steyn
Steve Smith

In no particular order. To remove ambiguity about who belongs to which century, I used the rule that those who were active post 2010 only are eligible. Tough to leave out Ponting but who do you drop from this group really.
Just for fun, if I was doing it for 1990-2010 (which seems to cause less ambiguity), my 5 cricketers will be Murali, Warne, McGrath, Tendulkar, Lara.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
It doesn't feel like a typical CW ranking exercise, where quality in tests is the defining feature. I'm tempted to chuck Anderson in, cos his bajillion wickets have been much more important than what vastly superior bowlers have managed.

Also feels like we should be including ODIs, as much as I dislike doing it in typical exercises. Including ODIs gives a really different set of players though, and leaving out players like Steyn just feels so wrong. Only Murali categorically makes both the test and combined cuts in my book.

One thing I am very clear on is that it really doesnt matter when a player started out. If you played enough this century, you get in, and if not, tough luck, even if it means including and inferior player.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Kallis (by far the best I think.)
Tendulkar
Murali
Steyn
Ponting

Bottom four in no order, prolly should put Gilly somewhere but don't wanna drop any of these 5. Among the other contenders, McGrath played a bit less than these guys, he is obviously there on quality. Sanga simply an inferior bat to Kallis and Tendy.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Narrowing this down to 5 players overall.

Murali
McGrath
Gilchrist
Smith
Kallis

Best pace bowler, best spinner, best batsman, best keeper and best all rounder.

Edit: upon reflection I decided to include Gilchrist over Steyn as I think it's a better balance for a top 5 and Gilchrist is further ahead of his contemporaries than Steyn.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fair enough to those considering only tests, but even on CW I didn't think that would be the case for an exercise like this

vcs

I usually consider Tests + ODIs (and T20Is as well post 2010, I guess, ugh) in these "Player of a decade" type exercises.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Interestingly in last couple of decades, list of top cricketers in tests and ODI has had lesser overlap than before. I had a thread about it.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Well for me the reason I only based it on tests was due to my lack of experience and knowledge of ODIs and T20s. I’ll watch the World Cup every few years and if I’m at a pub I’ll watch the BBL but thats it. Don’t follow it enough to have my own well formed opinions on the players and their skills.

CodeOfWisden

U19 Debutant
All formats combined
1.Mcgrath
2.Muralitharan
3.Ricky ponting
4.Virat Kohli
5.Sangakkara

Ms dhoni won't even feature in top 20 let alone top 5.
The way he has performed in last 5 years has tarnished his legacy.