• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vote for Five Cricketers of the 2000s + 2010s

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
McGrath
Gilchrist
Kallis
Smith
Tendulkar

(Warne/Murali the only other challengers tbh, but didn't want to have to pick between the 2, otherwise pretty easy selection)

vcs

Steyn
Kohli
De Villiers
Anderson
Sangakkara

Kind of felt biased towards players who had their primes in the last two decades.
Ah, Kallis should be there instead of AB De Villiers
Also on 2nd thoughts I'd replace Anderson with Muralitharan

Burgey

Anyone who doesn't have Gilchrist in their list either has an acquired brain injury or should forfeit their membership of any and every cricket club, association, ground and/ or website. Or both.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Anyone who doesn't have Gilchrist in their list either has an acquired brain injury or should forfeit their membership of any and every cricket club, association, ground and/ or website. Or both.
So should anyone who has Ponting though. :p

TheJediBrah

Gilchrist, McGrath and Kallis are the necessities. Not having all of those 3 is highly questionable IMO.

vcs

Gilchrist walks into any ATG XI obviously but that doesn't mean he needs to be in this list. Feels right to reward players who were active and in their primes for longer periods than him in the given span of time.

Burgey

The period in question is 20 years and he played eight of them, averaged close to 50 at a crazy strike rate and was a fine keeper with it. If people want to have Sanga in their five for example that's fine, but his batting while he kept was way below Gilchrist's level. Would certainly have no qualms having him in there on batting alone though. His numbers are insane when he wasn't keeping, which only emphasizes how great Gilly's are.

Reactions: vcs

morgieb

McGrath is being greatly overlooked

Even I did it. Not sure why

Edit: Actually, gonna replace ABdV with him in my 5
Think it's a longetivity thing. Though I included Gilchrist who only played one year more.

vcs

McGrath had a good part of his prime in the '90s and retired in 2007, so I did not consider him. It's just an arbitrary time slice.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Tests:

Kallis
Smith
Gilchrist
Steyn
McGrath

Shout out to J.Anderson for his longevity as a quick in playing thru the entire 20 years.

ODI:

Kohli
Dhoni
DeVilliers
Gilchrist
Shakib

T20:

Kohli
Finch
Ajmal
Dunno...

Burgey

Who was the poster back in the early 2010s or late 2000s who used to call Kallis "Kallies"?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
To me the entire generation of Lara, Sachin, Murali, Warne, McGrath, Ponting are the 90s, even if some of them had their best period numbers-wise in the noughties. Even Kallis made his debut around 1996. I simply listed the 5 best who really debuted post 2K which I think makes it more fair coz some of these guys had their teething years in the noughties which is not the case for the 90s class that I listed.

vcs

I think of Ponting as a 2000s player. Was pretty close to making my list. Vaguely recollect he was voted by cricinfo for best player of that decade.

Burgey

To me the entire generation of Lara, Sachin, Murali, Warne, McGrath, Ponting are the 90s, even if some of them had their best period numbers-wise in the noughties. Even Kallis made his debut around 1996. I simply listed the 5 best who really debuted post 2K which I think makes it more fair coz some of these guys had their teething years in the noughties which is not the case for the 90s class that I listed.
Ponting played 33 out of his 168 matches in the 1990s.