• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vote for Five Cricketers of the 2000s + 2010s

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Last couple of days before the tally.

If anyone wants to post their lists, change their lists, please do so by the 13th.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Steyn vs ABdV is difficult. Have included Steyn but ABdV had more impact over all formats. Might change my vote.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Murali
AB
Kohli
Kallis
Anderson

The first three because they are very clearly the winners if combining formats, with a degree of longevity that I think the exercise demands. Kallis mostly on the back of tests, because he is so far ahead of whoever the next test player is, with the possible exception of Murali, who is already in. Anderson is a sympathy vote cos his type of longevity deserves a whole lot more props in this structure than he is getting.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As I've said previously, if you omit Gilchrist from your list then you lack the capacity to make sentient decisions and carry out simple activities like voting, thinking independently and belonging to a cricket forum. Absolutely the cricketer of the 21st century thus far.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Gilchrist, McGrath and Kallis are the necessities. Not having all of those 3 is highly questionable IMO.
With both Gilchrist and McGrath there is eligibility question because of number of years. McGrath certainly makes top 5 of 1990 to 2010 however. Gilchrist - I don't know, it depends on how much premium you put on the fact that he kept wickets along with being a good batsman. Even if you limit to exact years when Gilchrist played (1998-2008?), I would put Ponting, Murali, McGrath, Kallis, Warne, Lara ahead and Gilly misses out. Not quite Tendulkar because that period includes his 5 year long slump.

vcs

I repeat what I said earlier, just because Gilchrist walks into an All-Time XI as keeper-bat, it does not follow that he makes it into a "Best Cricketer of <timeframe>" list. It is possible to rate other cricketers higher for longevity, carrying weaker sides, excelling as all-rounders etc.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Gilchrist has probably had more influence on cricket in the 21st century than anyone. The fact that every team now wants his runs has lead to a drop in the quality of keeping required. The poor standards of modern keeping are possibly exaggerated a bit as not every established keeper in history has been as great as Knott or Healy. But prior (no pun intended) to Gilchrist there’s no chance that the likes of Buttler would be keeping in a Test Match.

Burgey

he kept wickets along with being a good batsman
Massive understatement this. Averaged nearly 50 over close to a hundred tests while keeping well and scored his runs at a SR of 80, which for an allrounder is pretty ****ing awesome. If you translated his keeping to bowling you'd basically have a more entertaining and match winning Kallis.

Burgey

I mean, if you're excluding McGrath as he played a lot in the 1990s, why are you keeping Kallis in there when he had 5 years in the 90s?

Burgey

Why would that spite Burgey? He hasn't even said anything about Smith
I'd have him there because he's orders of magnitude better than the next best batsman, but I can see why taking others over him in a list of five makes sense more than I can anyone leaving out Gilchrist.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
As I've said previously, if you omit Gilchrist from your list then you lack the capacity to make sentient decisions and carry out simple activities like voting, thinking independently and belonging to a cricket forum. Absolutely the cricketer of the 21st century thus far.
He was amazing, I almost had him in my list. I could have picked an entirely different top 5 of, say, McGrath, Gilchrist, Sanga, Ponting and Kohli and they'd be a case for them all to be there.

Still, with my original picks of Steyn, Kallis, Murali, DeVilliers & Smith I can say I picked the best quick, best spinner, best pure bat, best all rounder and best wk batsmen. :ph34r:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
This is incredibly difficult. And so, I am going for people who did well across formats.

Kumar Sangakkara
Ricky Ponting
Sachin Tendulkar
Jacques Kallis
Virat Kohli
AB de Villiers
Adam Gilchrist
Shane Warne
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath

Shortlisting from this list of 10, I go with

Sachin Tendulkar