• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vivian Richards vs Sachin Tendulkar

Who was the better Test match batsman?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Viv is the better batsman, but unlike Greg Chappell, Tendulkar is very worthy of comparison.
are you saying chappell is not worthy of comparison with either of these players? don't agree at all, he would feature in most serious discussions for best after bradman...and would definitely belong in the 2nd tier of batsman below bradman....

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
BTW, creating doubt that he will even make the Top 25 all-time batsman list is underrating him. Name 25 batsmen who are better (or have been better) than him.
i will give it a try:

in no particular order:

1. don bradman
  2. jack hobbs
  3. garfield sobers
  4. len hutton
  5. victor trumper
  6. wally hammond
  7. brian lara
  8. sachin tendulkar
  9. viv richards
  10. everton weekes
  11. george headley
  12. steve waugh
  13. allan border
  14. greg chappell
  15. sunil gavaskar
  16. hanif mohammed
  17. javed miandad
  18. graeme pollock
  19. barry richards...

all i can think of right now so maybe he sneaks in as the 20th...:)

yaju

State Vice-Captain
Sachin Tendulkar.

Viv Richards didn't have the pressure of 1 billion people when he came onto bat. Neither did he alone have to handle the entire mantle of the team when batting.

In 2000 when Azharuddin, Jadeja and Prabhakar were accused of match fixing, the bookies told that Sachin never took bribe when offered. This shows the character of the man.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sachin Tendulkar.

Viv Richards didn't have the pressure of 1 billion people when he came onto bat. Neither did he alone have to handle the entire mantle of the team when batting.

In 2000 when Azharuddin, Jadeja and Prabhakar were accused of match fixing, the bookies told that Sachin never took bribe when offered. This shows the character of the man.
No one says he isn't a great bloke mate. But if the pressure of 1 billon people on his shoulders hasn't been a factor in affecting his game, why didn't he handle the captaincy very well?

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
i will give it a try:

in no particular order:

don bradman
Obviously.
jack hobbs
Yes.
garfield sobers
Yes.
len hutton
Yes.
victor trumper
It's really hard to tell...it would be a matter of exactly how dodgy 19th century wickets were.
wally hammond
Yes.
brian lara
Contentious, IMO. No doubt that Lara exceeds Ponting at his best, but usually Ponting exceeds Lara.
sachin tendulkar
In the 1990's, yes, by quite a long way. In the 2000's, injury has limited him, allowing Ponting to be more prolific. Still, I'll give you this one, given the conditions of the 2000's versus the 1990's.
viv richards
Contentious when it comes to Test matches, if not ODI matches.
everton weekes
Yes.
george headley
Yes. He was dubbed 'the black Bradman'.
steve waugh
Contentious. Waugh>>>Ponting in the 1990's, Ponting>>Waugh in the 2000's, as Waugh seemed to lose his ability to score against any attack better than mediocre post-2001. Ponting>>Waugh as an ODI batsman, IMO.
allan border
Border>Waugh? Yes. Border>Ponting? Maybe, given the conditions in which Border was made to score runs.
greg chappell
Yes, I can just about give you this one.
sunil gavaskar
Much as I am loathe to admit it, probably, given his scoring against the West Indies. His failure to feast on England (particularly during the 1980's) is a sore point, though. Ponting>>Gavaskar in ODI's, IMO.
hanif mohammed
His 337 is noteworthy, but his average seems a tad low for consideration. I shouldn't judge a player solely on averages, but his career finished before I was born, so what choice do I have?
javed miandad
Maybe in the ODI's, but examination of his Test record (abject failure against the West Indians, for one thing) makes me a little skeptical. Ponting has a >45 Test average against all nations, I believe.
graeme pollock
Yes. EDIT: May have played too few Tests, now that I think about it.
barry richards...
Played too few Tests.

all i can think of right now so maybe he sneaks in as the 20th...:)
A touch higher, given those that you listed.

Last edited:

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
No one says he isn't a great bloke mate. But if the pressure of 1 billon people on his shoulders hasn't been a factor in affecting his game, why didn't he handle the captaincy very well?
Why didn't Ian Botham and Andrew Flintoff handle captaincy well? It is indeed possible to a great batsman and be found wanting tactically (Steve Waugh, for one, criticised some of his decisions during India's wretched 1999-2000 tour of Australia).

Burgey

Why didn't Ian Botham and Andrew Flintoff handle captaincy well? It is indeed possible to a great batsman and be found wanting tactically (Steve Waugh, for one, criticised some of his decisions during India's wretched 1999-2000 tour of Australia).
Certainly, but I'm saying that the "1 billion people" argument may not even be something he thinks about (which I suppose would say something about the simpplicity of his approach to his work, and good on him). :)
He averaged a hardly disastrous 50 odd as captain in any event, just that his average when not skipper is stratospheric.
Edit: on the list of batsmen ahead of Ponting on the previous page, I'd have to place him on a par at least with Waugh, maybe Border but not Chappell (yet). It's a bias of mine, but runs in the top 3 and (to a lesser extent) at 4 earn b onus points vs runs at 5, 6 or 7. Similarly, Pollock was a great player, but I'd still argue he played too few tests to compare his record with some of the other guys who've played 70, 80, 100 tests or more and average only 5 or so runs per innings less. I mean, if Jimmy Adams test career had have been curtailed after 18-20 tests, he'd have had an average of 70 odd.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Best since Bradman doesn't struggle against Praveen Kumar mate.

See its very easy to pick on a batsman when they're not scoring isn't it?

Funny how all the praise that Ponting got from 03-06 has fallen away drastically over the last few months. He's copping exactly what Sachin and Lara did in their periods of low scoring, when people funnily enough forget how masterful they were a mere year or two earlier.
Even Bradman got out occasionally, which is directly correlating with what the above comparison actually says... which is nothing. I don't see your point Jono.

When Ponting has 7-8 years of scoring 46 runs on average (disregarding minnows), then we'll compare. Thus far, he's had no such poor form like Sachin's.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I'd say Bradman, Sobers, Richards, G Chappell, G Pollock, Gavaskar, Tendulkar, Lara, Waugh(at his best) have a strong case ahead of Ponting not sure about anyone else TBH.
Hey dude have you heard of some1 called Jack Hobbs?...I heard he used to held a bat once upon a time in test cricket...

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Certainly, but I'm saying that the "1 billion people" argument may not even be something he thinks about (which I suppose would say something about the simpplicity of his approach to his work, and good on him). :)
He averaged a hardly disastrous 50 odd as captain in any event, just that his average when not skipper is stratospheric.
Edit: on the list of batsmen ahead of Ponting on the previous page, I'd have to place him on a par at least with Waugh, maybe Border but not Chappell (yet). It's a bias of mine, but runs in the top 3 and (to a lesser extent) at 4 earn b onus points vs runs at 5, 6 or 7. Similarly, Pollock was a great player, but I'd still argue he played too few tests to compare his record with some of the other guys who've played 70, 80, 100 tests or more and average only 5 or so runs per innings less. I mean, if Jimmy Adams test career had have been curtailed after 18-20 tests, he'd have had an average of 70 odd.
Very good point. Pollock played 23 Tests, BTW. At that time, Adams' average was near-identical to his (and would rise during his 24th Test, before falling away badly thereafter).

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting best after Bradman is just flat out Ridiculous. Ponting's avg. in the 90s was 44.5 Tendulkar's 58. Even more appalling is Ponting's no. of centuries only 6 in 33 tests (52 innings) i.e. a century every 8.6 innings where Tendulkar scored 22 in 109 innings, every 4.9 innings.

As for Ponting blasting the Pakistani attack that Tendulkar failed against. It is just plain ridiculously ignorant. Ponting didn't even face 2 Ws 1998 test in Pakistan and he was piss poor for the most part in the 1999 series, his scores were 0, 0, 0 and 197. Oh and in the only test He faced 2 Ws in the 90s, his average was a flattering ZERO.

RT Ponting b Waqar Younis 0
RT Ponting lbw b Wasim Akram 0

Last but not the least, Tendulkar's average against countries that Ponting failed to get above 40 were 81.25 Vs England, 63.64 Vs. NZ, 62.81 Vs. WI. And I am not even counting their records against each other. Ponting in 90s wouldn't have made my top 25 list, as simple as that. Tendulkar in the 2000s will make the top 5 list despite his slump between 2003-2006.
LOL, are you trying to suggest Shoaib Akhtar, Wasim Akram and Saqlain Mushtaq were not a formidable force? And yes, whilst Ponting didn't get to face Waqar and Wasim as much as (which is only one less than Tendulkar), Tendulkar averaged 9 against the same "easybeats" Ponting scored runs off.

Then, we have also the S.Africans, where there can be no question here that Tendulkar failed against and Ponting dominated.

BTW, when Ponting actually kept to one position...

So he beat the 'great' attacks of the 90s just as well as Tendulkar did and when he did have an established position he averaged 51. And in this era, he is absolutely rocking it, regardless of how much you wish to believe bowling standards/pitches are aiding him. 64 over 8 years is incredible. What is more incredible is that if you remove Bang/Zim it's 63.

And who cares how many centuries he had in how many innings. Took Sobers 17 Tests (29 innings) to get his 1st.

Burgey

Even Bradman got out occasionally, which is directly correlating with what the above comparison actually says... which is nothing. I don't see your point Jono.

When Ponting has 7-8 years of scoring 46 runs on average (disregarding minnows), then we'll compare. Thus far, he's had no such poor form like Sachin's.
Your quote (perhaps inadvertantly) shows how cricket has changed. If someone in the 70s or 80s, even 90s, averaged 46 for 8 years, they'd be considered in the very, very, very good class.

I recall in the early 80s hearing some of the commentators (Benaud and Chappell iirc) saying a benchmark they used was 40 - quality test player; 45 - very, very good test player; 50+ - great test player.

archie mac

International Coach
Sachin Tendulkar.

Dravid?

masterblaster

International Captain
Sachin Tendulkar for me everytime. It's truly been a pleasure to witness most of his great knocks throughout his career. While I truly admire and enjoy watching Viv Richards (I voted for him in the poll against Greg Chappell) Tendulkar in my opinion is somewhat ahead.

My reasons are my own, but for me Tendulkar was simply unstoppable at his peak and was better than Viv when both were at their very best. Tendulkar at his worst still would likely outperform Viv due to Tendulkar's remarkable technique and his mental strength.
Viv would never be able to score a double century against the world's best team without hitting a single cover drive after getting out to the stroke the last few innings.

For me, Tendulkar's technique and mental strength is remarkable and second to none, which earns him my vote.

masterblaster

International Captain
Whilst Dravid was a very good batsman back in 1999, you could say he didn't achieve greatness until that period in 2002 - 2004. Dravid's batting reached another level in those years and he was just in the best form of his life during those years.

archie mac

International Coach
Whilst Dravid was a very good batsman back in 1999, you could say he didn't achieve greatness until that period in 2002 - 2004. Dravid's batting reached another level in those years and he was just in the best form of his life during those years.
Granted, but he was still pretty good, so to say STW had no support is not correct:ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dravid only even made his Test debut in 1996 - Tendulkar had been in the side for 6 years already by then.

Googenheim

U19 12th Man
Viv for me.

That being said, for people that talk about Sachin's last 5 years, why ignore Viv's last 5 years? Because he was cool?
Maybe Tendulkar should wear insoles and swagger around in a blue India cap chewing gum, while averaging 36 now on

Allan Border would be better qualified than most, having actually set fields to Viv. As coach during the Sharjah tournament, he and Steve Waugh admitted pretty much to having no effing idea where to bowl to Tendulkar.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Although I am unaware of the standards and quantity of video analysis in the 1970s and 1980s, Tendulkar has been subject to more plans than any other batsman of the age, from off theory to outside leg stump by Ashley Giles.

Interestingly, Tendulkar averages an astonishing 63.55 in an Indian won Test, in comparison to Richards' 52.43 - Tendulkar's innings have proved more vital to his team's victory - of course, this may be due to Tendulkar's superior conversion rate of fifties to hundreds but it also underlines that Richards' biggest knocks did not necessarily demoralise an opponent into defeat.

However, I have watched clips of Sir Viv batting and it is quite amazing how he would batter the ball with a flourishing flow of the bat. He clearly had magnificent hand-eye coordination. One thing I have noticed is that he scored about 90% of his runs through the leg side, with a large proportion of the off side runs coming off a premeditated in-to-out shot; would it be right to assume that the bowling was more stump to stump orientated in the 1970s and 1980s? If this is the case, which I don't know, then I believe that Tendulkar would have similarly dominated, since we all know of his prowess in the leg side, especially early in his career.

Cracking poll results, 50% to 50%.