• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Virender Sehwag vs Sanath Jayasuriya

Ahmed_Tariq

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Well, yeah. This question has been circling my mind lately. Which of the two edges out the other as the other batsman? I will now discuss in detail features of both the batsmen and view their records.

Virender Sehwag:

An explosive right-handed batsman who plays both forms of the game. A big hitter of the ball and nearly impossible to stop when gets going. An overall excellent career so far and he's still got loads of time before he retires as he's only 29 at the moment.

You couldn't possibly expect to find a better batsman in Test Cricket. He's got 14 fifties and 15 centuries, imagine! :blink: A batting average of 53.14 ain't bad either. :mellow: He's played 59 Test Matches and has scored 5,102 runs. Holds the record for the fastest Test triple century (300 in 278 balls) and is one of only 3 players to score two triple centuries in Test Cricket alongside Don Bradman and Brian Lara. A top score of 319 can't be called bad too. :laugh: Wow, what stats in Test Cricket! :blink:

The story's a bit different in the ODIs. 9 centuries compared to 29 half-centuries. Not bad but not exceptional too. 5,810 runs scored 191 matches with a batting average of 32.45. A top score of 130. Not bad. Pretty good, in fact. 8-)

Sehwag can also bowl part-time and is quite handy with his off-spinners. 24 wickets in 59 Tests at 37.00 with best bowling figures of 3/12. Has taken 45 catches in Test cricket too.

80 wickets in 191 ODIs at 41.41 each and with best bowling figures of 3/25. 74 catches to his name too.

Sanath Jayasuriya

Maybe one of the best left-handed opening batsman of the world. A clean hitter of the ball and one of the best weapons in the armoury of the Sri Lankan batting line-up. A magnificent and illustrious career. Sanath's 39 at the moment but he says that he is still fit to play for 2-3 years.

Great record in Tests. Has scored 6,973 runs in 110 Tests. A pretty decent batting average in Tests of 40.07. Has got 14 hundreds and 31 fifties with a top score of a mammoth 340. :blink:

Jayasuriya is the player who has played the most number of ODIs up-to-date. He is the only player to score over 12,000 runs and capture more than 300 wickets in ODIs. He has scored 12,724 runs in 419 ODIs with a healthy average of 32.70. 27 hundreds and 65 fifties and a top score of a fantastic 189 scored against India.

Sanath Teran Jayasuriya has been highly successful with his Slow left arm unorthodox bowling style. He has captured 98 wickets in 110 tests with a bowling average of 34.34. Has also taken 5 wickets in an innings 2 times. Best bowling figures of 5/34 and 78 catches to his name.

An amazing 310 wickets in 419 ODIs with a bowling average of 36.46. He has taken 5 wickets in an innings 4 times in ODIs with best bowling figures of 6/29. Has also taken 117 catches in ODIs.

There we go. A sneak peak on the careers of two truly glorious opening batsman. Let's take this as a battle of the explosives and decide who's the better man through and through. :) Sehwag or Jayasuriya? :cool:

Information Source:-
http://www.wikipedia.org/

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm a Sehwag fan personally. He scores more runs against the top test-playing nations. And i prefer him to watch too, because he has more shots.

Ahmed_Tariq

I'm a Sehwag fan personally. He scores more runs against the top test-playing nations. And i prefer him to watch too, because he has more shots.
Yesh, you are absolutely right, Uppercut. Sehwag's certainly more stylish. And yes, I agree with ret and andyc.

Sehwag in Tests.

Jayasuriya in ODIs.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
Sehwags probably the better batsman, but I like watching Jayasuriya more (although there both pretty fun to watch). Just love his cut shot

Uppercut

Sehwags probably the better batsman, but I like watching Jayasuriya more (although there both pretty fun to watch). Just love his cut shot
That's funny, because my favourite shot is actually Sehwag's cut shot. The one he flicks up and over the slips, sometimes for six. The uppercut, in fact.

Ahmed_Tariq

That's funny, because my favourite shot is actually Sehwag's cut shot. The one he flicks up and over the slips, sometimes for six. The uppercut, in fact.
Yeah, that is a really cool shot. I still remember how he flicked Asif for four in the opening over of the Pakistan vs India T20 World Cup Group Game and was bowled next ball. :laugh:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
In tests Sehwag >> Jayasuriya

In ODIs
batting Jayasuriya > Sehwag
bowling Jayasuriya >> Sehwag

fielding Jayasuriya >> Sehwag

captaincy Jayasuriya >> Sehwag

off and on field behavior, even stevens

If you want the test player Sehwag slightly ahead of Jayasuriya. Sehwag may be the better batsman by a quite margin, but Jaya's fielding and capaicy skills do count in.

In ODI's thir batting is very close with Jaya having the edge. With other aspects like bowling, fielding and captaicy, Jaya is a mile ahead.

In ODI's, Jayasuriya by a mile.

Uppercut

Purely as ODI opening batsmen, Jayasuriya by a looooong way.
That was my initial reaction upon reading the thread, but I was shocked to read above that they average the same in one-day cricket. Jayasuriya is a real legend of ODI cricket, whereas Sehwag is generally considered to be a surprising failure in the format.

I also played around with the stats to investigate why, and found that if you only count games against the major test nations, they both average 31- just one less. Surprising, as Jayasuriya in particular has a reputation in some quarters as a weak-attack bully.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jayasuriya's average and strike-rate over a long time as a ODI opener is exceptional though, even though he is obviously mostly only capable of bashing weak bowling. Sehwag's only good performances as a ODI opener came in 2002, averaging 42.55 in his first 37 innings. From the 14th of January 2003 onwards he averages less than 31, which is very poor and much less than Jayasuriya averaged over a period of 14 years.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What do you mean which one? Overall.
There is no "overall". It's either as Test openers or ODI openers. Or as bowlers, or something else. Jayasuriya is clearly far better than Sehwag at ODI opening, Sehwag is clearly far better at Test opening, though neither are from the top drawer in the Test department. Everything aside from this is a sideshow.