• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Virender Sehwag vs Inzamam-ul-Haq

Who was the better batsman?(Tests)

• Virender Sehwag

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • Inzamam-ul-Haq

Votes: 17 44.7%

• Total voters

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Are we discussing FC match here ? Now that you have been caught lying stop making things.
We are discussing that Inzy was ATG against short fast bowling. If you haven't heard the incident, that is your issue.

Even without that incident, Inzamam was few classes above Shewag against fast short bowling. Shewag was better at other things like against spin, and when the ball is pitched up. But that doesn't discount that Inzi was among the elite against short ball. He is there with Viv, ponting and Aravinda in last 50 years as best players of pull and hook.

Sunil1z

International Regular
We are discussing that Inzy was ATG against short fast bowling. If you haven't heard the incident, that is your issue.

Even without that incident, Inzamam was few classes above Shewag against fast short bowling. Shewag was better at other things like against spin, and when the ball is pitched up. But that doesn't discount that Inzi was among the elite against short ball. He is there with Viv, ponting and Aravinda in last 50 years as best players of pull and hook.
Man no one puts Inzy and Aravinda in same class of facing pace bowling as Ponting and Richards .
I mean Rohit is also very good against short bowling, yet I wouldn’t put him in Richards and Ponting class in Test matches .

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Sehwag actually averaged 60 in matches involving Lee . He wasn’t sitting duck against McGrath to never face Lee .
Asif definitely had his number. Haven't seen him struggle against anyone like with Asif. It is unwise to assume that elite West Indian bowlers could adjust their lengths like wise.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Man no one puts Inzy and Aravinda in same class of facing pace bowling as Ponting and Richards .
I mean Rohit is also very good against short bowling, yet I wouldn’t put him in Richards and Ponting class in Test matches .
Everyone except haters do so. Ponting and Richards have been hit with bouncers. Aravinda never was. That is a testament good enough to put where he is. I have not followed Inzi so closely, but I am sure he also never had been hit by bouncers.

(in fact in 1989 Brisbane, Hughes wanted to hit Aravinda with bouncers, and kept on bowling it like a headless chicken. He climbed on to all of them)

Sunil1z

International Regular
Asif definitely had his number. Haven't seen him struggle against anyone like with Asif. It is unwise to assume that elite West Indian bowlers could adjust their lengths like wise.
He still managed to outscore Inzamam in that series which he always did in his career .

Sunil1z

International Regular
Everyone except haters do so. Ponting and Richards have been hit with bouncers. Aravinda never was. That is a testament good enough to put where he is. I have not followed Inzi so closely, but I am sure he also never had been hit by bouncers.

(in fact in 1989 Brisbane, Hughes wanted to hit Aravinda with bouncers, and kept on bowling it like a headless chicken. He climbed on to all of them)
Please watch Harmison vs Inzamam on YouTube .

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
He still managed to outscore Inzamam in that series which he always did in his career .
Whether he will outscore Inzi or not was not my argument.

My argument was what Sehwag would have done against WI trio / quartet. WI bowlers were not idiots. They adapted beautifully. (It took a century from Greig for Lillee and Thommo to figure out they should york him, Holding and Roberts only took few deliveries to work it out.). Shewag being Shewag, I would bet him to play one or two innings that will go in to folkfore. But other than that WI attacks would have his number most of the time.

What Inzamam had done against them, I have not discussed at all.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Ok I would like to end this debate from my side . Both were highly unlucky batsmen to not get ATG . While Sehwag had huge weakness against moving ball , Inzy had his weakness against Aus and SA . I rate both of them nearly equal .

In the recent batsman poll I always voted
Inzy
Sehwag
Hayden

But it could easily become on another day .
Hayden
Sehwag
Inzy

smash84

The Tiger King
Inzy was terrible against SA and Aus. Especially SA. As was Anwar against SA.

Although Sehwag wasn't too flash against pace either.

Having said that Inzy did end up getting Pakistan over the line against Australia at Karachi resulting in a series win so he gets some point for that. Not sure about Sehwag playing any memorable innings against his main nemesis

Sunil1z

International Regular

Having said that Inzy did end up getting Pakistan over the line against Australia at Karachi resulting in a series win so he gets some point for that. Not sure about Sehwag playing any memorable innings against his main nemesis
Against Australia?
This was a very good knock on a flat wicket . Saved India from certain defeat in 4th innings
B298E2B4-0FAE-4024-87AB-373C8AEBACF7.jpeg

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
So now Inzamam is as good as and Aravinda better than Richards and Ponting against short balls..... You learn something new everyday.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Interesting I wasn't aware of it. Inzi led Pakistan over the line with the last wicket in hand and making 50 odd runs with mushy to win the match
Recently I posted that Inzy knock in subz below 100 score thread .
I rate Inzy highly.
This is my Pakistani batting preference

Younis > Inzy > Miandad

subshakerz

International Coach

Terrible is an exaggeration. Both Anwar and Inzi had their good moments against Donald.

Inzi also had a good series against McWarne in Aus in 99. He just wasn't consistent against Aus though.