• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Virender Sehwag vs Inzamam-ul-Haq

Who was the better batsman?(Tests)

• Virender Sehwag

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • Inzamam-ul-Haq

Votes: 17 44.7%

• Total voters

smash84

The Tiger King
Terrible is an exaggeration. Both Anwar and Inzi had their good moments against Donald.
When they had their moments against Donald, they would get out to pollock, and vice versa.

All they had to do was bowl in the channel to Anwar. He would eventually edge one to slips.

subshakerz

International Coach
When they had their moments against Donald, they would get out to pollock, and vice versa.

All they had to do was bowl in the channel to Anwar. He would eventually edge one to slips.
Anwar did well in the 97/98 series in SA. In ODIs tho he was a complete bunny.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
Inzamam's problem against extra bounce was technical. Had a lazy backlift slightly away from his body which made it hard to adjust.

His reflexes and ability to assess length were good.
Nah, to be frank he had a habit of getting out to many soft dismissals against SA or Aus for some odd reason. Especially against Warne.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
So now Inzamam is as good as and Aravinda better than Richards and Ponting against short balls..... You learn something new everyday.
Aravinda was definitely better against short ball than Ponting. Never had blood running out of cheek after getting hit. I wouldn't go as far as saying he is better than Viv, but definitely closer to Viv than any other batsman in history of cricket. Probably you never heard that Aravinda was never hit by a bouncer in head. And he comfortably played the fastest set of bowlers compared to any other player.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, to be frank he had a habit of getting out to many soft dismissals against SA or Aus for some odd reason. Especially against Warne.
Against the popular belief, Inzamam was not the best against elite spin. He got out in silly manners to Warne, and Murali worked him out pretty well in both tests and ODIs, especially post doosra era. Salim Malik perhaps was the best out there in terms of talent, but his mind was on other things. He played Murali and Warne very well, and scored well against West Indian pace.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Aravinda was definitely better against short ball than Ponting. Never had blood running out of cheek after getting hit. I wouldn't go as far as saying he is better than Viv, but definitely closer to Viv than any other batsman in history of cricket. Probably you never heard that Aravinda was never hit by a bouncer in head. And he comfortably played the fastest set of bowlers compared to any other player.
Honestly, I love Aravinda, and as the face of Migaraverse; I am not really that surprised either.....

subshakerz

International Coach
Against the popular belief, Inzamam was not the best against elite spin. He got out in silly manners to Warne, and Murali worked him out pretty well in both tests and ODIs, especially post doosra era. Salim Malik perhaps was the best out there in terms of talent, but his mind was on other things. He played Murali and Warne very well, and scored well against West Indian pace.
Anwar, Younis and Malik were the best players of spin I saw from Pakistan.

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Inzi didn't have a great front foot technique. Caused him issues on quicker pitches.

He was more likely to suffer silly dismissals than grinders though and his elegance probably made them look worse.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Having said that Inzi had far less injuries, was a better catcher and a much stronger player. Shewag was pretty unfit too, and probably to a greater degree than inzi.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
So how was he good against pace and bounce? It's a myth perpetuated by Imran Khan.
He was actually good. When Imran was perpetuating this "myth" bowlers thought he was lying and bowled short. It was great reverse psychology. However Inzi was poor against pitched up ball, which many bowlers failed to execute (which McGrath found out, genius he was). After that it was pitched up bowling to him, because anything short disappeared.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
He was actually good. When Imran was perpetuating this "myth" bowlers thought he was lying and bowled short. It was great reverse psychology. However Inzi was poor against pitched up ball, which many bowlers failed to execute (which McGrath found out, genius he was). After that it was pitched up bowling to him, because anything short disappeared.

Slifer

International Captain
Can't believe I'm going to side with Subz but I do. In the WI in the 80s and under 80s conditions, I can see Sehwag getting a ton maybe at Bourda or the ARG yes. They were just roady roads but overall he is likely to average in the 30s over the course of a series. If Lara had to play 80s WI, I could see him tonning up in bourda or arg as well but he ain't likely to average north of 40.

Also, people need to get out their feelings. Yes Alan Lamb, manjrekar etc made runs but just because they did doesn't always mean a presumedly better player would as well. Some players do punch above their weight from time to time. Case in point, Carl Hooper made runs vs the Ws every chance he got, where Lara struggled. Steve Waugh was distinctly better vs the Donald/Pollock than both Lara and Sachin. Remember the SL player who scored the best 4th innings of all time in RSA? These things happen. Doesn't mean a supposedly better player would replicate .