• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Virender Sehwag vs Inzamam-ul-Haq

Who was the better batsman?(Tests)

• Virender Sehwag

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • Inzamam-ul-Haq

Votes: 13 46.4%

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
…cos he was an opener.
Yeah I do think opening was tougher which to me accounts for perhaps 1-2 points average difference with a middle order bat.

But the bonus of batting in an easier era is more than that, somewhere on 4 to 7 points, as demonstrated in Inzi's case.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I hold Inzi in very high regard. One of the reason is assurance i felt with Inzi at the crease was not i got with Mo Yo or even Younis even though they had greater averages.

As for this comparison its a tie for me. Sehwag as a Pakistani fan gave me great nightmares. Him and Dravid were always the most prized wicket for me in tests with Sachin and Yuvi in odis.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
fwiw, their stats during the overlapping period of their careers:
Sehwag 4072 runs @ 49.65
Inzamam 3530 runs @ 54.30

Can I adjust Sutcliffe’s average to 65 and call him the best after Bradman?
Cos their averages when Inzi was already established but Sehwag was just coming through, and finding his position, should tell you everything.

Next up, Martin Crowe > mid 30s/early 40s averaging Sachin

I never said Sehwag > Inzi (he clearly isn’t) just that there’s obviously a reason why Sehwag’s average is unlikely to be higher than Inzi’s, an ATG player himself.

If Sehwag had an average around 53-55 or something mad like that he’d be rated much higher, obviously. But how many openers since the 70s have had averages like that?

For the record, Sehwag actually averages a shade above 50 as an opener.

BazBall21

International Regular
Both flawed geniuses with specific upsides. Inzy was known to play a lot of clutch pressure knocks, Sehwag the annihilator. Inzy wasn’t always great on fast pitches but probably not as bad as Sehwag against lateral movement.

subshakerz

International Coach
Both flawed geniuses with specific upsides. Inzy was known to play a lot of clutch pressure knocks, Sehwag the annihilator. Inzy wasn’t always great on fast pitches but probably not as bad as Sehwag against lateral movement.
If Sehwag played in the 90s as an opener it would likely take 4-7 points off his average. I don't see him doing well in Australia and WI as he did in the 2000s with McGrath and Ambrose around.

BazBall21

International Regular
If Sehwag played in the 90s as an opener it would likely take 4-7 points off his average. I don't see him doing well in Australia and WI as he did in the 2000s with McGrath and Ambrose around.
I’ve always felt that if he played against the WI 80s juggernaut he would probably have played one of the greatest innings of all time but end up averaging 32 against them